Author Topic: Ringer re: "Reconsidering the Celtics"  (Read 2659 times)

Re: Ringer re: "Reconsidering the Celtics"
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 05:47:06 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I thought it was an article from last yr. before I saw haywards' name mentioned.

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 06:03:01 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I can see limbo (given the uncertainty with Hayward), but yeah the stagnation part doesn't make sense at all.

His point is that the previous 2 years ended in clear, dominating losses to the Cavs in the playoffs.  He is indicating that their current level of play is more likely than not going to end in a similar result, whether to Cleveland or Toronto.  Given their January and February performances, I cannot really disagree.

For a franchise where 4-1 losses in the ECFs are generally meaningless, the "stagnation" description fits.

I expect a different performance in the playoffs this year though, mainly because of Kyrie and the defense.

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 06:06:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think that it’s just a case of poor writing. He ends the article with:

Hayward’s return, whether it comes this season (miraculously) or next, will automatically make the Celtics a whole lot better. Factor in the development of other young players—and the potential departure of LeBron James to the Western Conference this summer—and the Celtics are in position to become East favorites for the foreseeable future. The moment feels motionless, but take a step back and you’ll see that they’re still ascending.

That's standard CYA, IMO. Bad writing indeed.

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I can see limbo (given the uncertainty with Hayward), but yeah the stagnation part doesn't make sense at all.

His point is that the previous 2 years ended in clear, dominating losses to the Cavs in the playoffs.  He is indicating that their current level of play is more likely than not going to end in a similar result, whether to Cleveland or Toronto.  Given their January and February performances, I cannot really disagree.

For a franchise where 4-1 losses in the ECFs are generally meaningless, the "stagnation" description fits.

I expect a different performance in the playoffs this year though, mainly because of Kyrie and the defense.

That's only "limbo" or "stagnation" if you don't think there'd be any value in making a run to the ECF again with this group (quite different and younger than last year), and you think that the Cavs are likely to stay at their current level while the Celts, without any major roster changes, are not likely to meaningfully improve in the near future.

None of those things seems like a reasonable conclusion to me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 06:23:52 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I always read anything with Kevin O'Connor's by line but he really phoned it in on this piece. He offers nothing new and doesn't even mention the 3 game winning streak. This could've been written a month ago.

Do you mean the 3 game winning streak that their currently on? Unless my reading comprehension stinks, he did right the following:

"They’re 3-0 since the All-Star break, and though the wins have come against the stumbling Pistons, Knicks, and Grizzlies,..."

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 07:44:29 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I always read anything with Kevin O'Connor's by line but he really phoned it in on this piece. He offers nothing new and doesn't even mention the 3 game winning streak. This could've been written a month ago.

Do you mean the 3 game winning streak that their currently on? Unless my reading comprehension stinks, he did right the following:

"They’re 3-0 since the All-Star break, and though the wins have come against the stumbling Pistons, Knicks, and Grizzlies,..."

Oh, missed that...