Author Topic: Patriots 2018 Season  (Read 76267 times)

Re: Patriots 2018 Season
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2018, 10:51:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This team sucks right now.

"Right now" is the key word.  They'll still end up in the Super Bowl.

But man, you're right, both sides of the ball look rough.  Brady has 11 completions, 105 yards and an INT. It's hard to believe that this is Tom Terrific.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2018, 11:06:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This team sucks right now.

"Right now" is the key word.  They'll still end up in the Super Bowl.

But man, you're right, both sides of the ball look rough.  Brady has 11 completions, 105 yards and an INT. It's hard to believe that this is Tom Terrific.
I'm not so sure about the Superbowl. The year they beat Seattle they had that awful 4th game against KC where they got blown out, but they didn't look equally as bad in the games before that. This is the second just embarassing performance. I will hope that Gordon, Flowers, Chung, Rowe and Edelman will make a huge difference but right now, letting go of Lewis, Butler, Solder and Amendola looks like Belichick just outsmarted himself for a change.

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2018, 11:18:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Every once in a while you see them outplayed and outcoached, but not two games in a row, and right now it also seems like they've been outGMed.    Things look pretty awkward. We might learn a lot next week.

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2018, 11:21:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
... but right now, letting go of Lewis, Butler, Solder and Amendola looks like Belichick just outsmarted himself for a change.

And Cooks, too.  I'm puzzled by not going full "win now" mode with Brady in the latter stages of his career. 

I'm probably short-sighted, but post-Brady it's going to be a crap shoot.  I would have absolutely maximized the Pats' chances to win another Super Bowl in the next couple of years, and figured out the cap implications down the line.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2018, 11:27:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
... but right now, letting go of Lewis, Butler, Solder and Amendola looks like Belichick just outsmarted himself for a change.

And Cooks, too.  I'm puzzled by not going full "win now" mode with Brady in the latter stages of his career. 

I'm probably short-sighted, but post-Brady it's going to be a crap shoot.  I would have absolutely maximized the Pats' chances to win another Super Bowl in the next couple of years, and figured out the cap implications down the line.
Forgot Cooks but agree 100%. It was time to spend foolishly and get another Superbowl or 2. It wasn't time to be thrifty and looking to build long term success. If they suck this year it's not because Brady fell off some cliff like Max Kellerman will brag about. It's because Belichick screwed up.

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2018, 12:15:43 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
The defense is going to be a year-long problem.

But the offense, I hope they can fix. Gordon and Edelman really need to up their games when they return. I am sick of watching Phillip Dorsett miss catches and running bad routes. Sick of watching Gronk get double-teamed. Cordarelle Patterson? Who is he? I don't want to see Chris Hogan out there playing WR1 when he's a WR3, and risk getting himself hurt.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2018, 03:08:03 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The defense is going to be a year-long problem.

But the offense, I hope they can fix. Gordon and Edelman really need to up their games when they return. I am sick of watching Phillip Dorsett miss catches and running bad routes. Sick of watching Gronk get double-teamed. Cordarelle Patterson? Who is he? I don't want to see Chris Hogan out there playing WR1 when he's a WR3, and risk getting himself hurt.
Yeah, trying to replace Cooks with Dorsett is just horrible. We really need Gordon and Edelman
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2018, 07:36:18 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I agree this isn't the most promising of situations to be in, but it isn't really a fair time to judge this team. In football, one or two plays can make all the difference.

Our defensive line was terrible - especially in the first half - and much of that can be attributed to not having Flowers. The pass TD in the 2nd half where Gilmore was preparing to switch on the cross, but Harmon stood pat shows the loss of Chung. Not having your two best receivers (not including Gronk) is going to make it much easier for any team to stop you. And then there was the game plan of trying to run 2 out of every 3 downs because of the Lions inability last week to stop the run - this is just not the Pats game. Brady needs somebody to throw those quick 5 yard passes to and James White seems like the only player who can catch a pass in that situation.

Anyway, enough excuses. Hopefully they can come out next week and give a better effort. The Pats have shown before that their early season struggles are often worked out later on.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:32:04 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 10:12:49 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Should some of the blame for the team’s slow start fall on Brady? After all, it was Tom who decided not to show up for the volunteer workouts in the off season, where chemistry between the quarterback, lineman, and receivers starts to build. Did that also effect the defense, since they were practicing against backup quarterbacks?

Am I the only person who does not see Josh Gordon as this season’s savior? The guy played in only 5 games in 2014, completely missed the 2015 and 2016 seasons, and then only played in 5 games last season. The Patriots supposedly have a very complex offensive system for receivers to pick up. How in the world will Gordon pick it up during the season? The Patriots have had veteran receivers show up during the offseason, who couldn’t pick it up. Julian Edelman will (eventually) be a huge help when he comes back, but I don't have much of a hope for Gordon this season.

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2018, 03:39:00 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Should some of the blame for the team’s slow start fall on Brady? After all, it was Tom who decided not to show up for the volunteer workouts in the off season, where chemistry between the quarterback, lineman, and receivers starts to build. Did that also effect the defense, since they were practicing against backup quarterbacks?

Am I the only person who does not see Josh Gordon as this season’s savior? The guy played in only 5 games in 2014, completely missed the 2015 and 2016 seasons, and then only played in 5 games last season. The Patriots supposedly have a very complex offensive system for receivers to pick up. How in the world will Gordon pick it up during the season? The Patriots have had veteran receivers show up during the offseason, who couldn’t pick it up. Julian Edelman will (eventually) be a huge help when he comes back, but I don't have much of a hope for Gordon this season.

Most of the blame should go to Belichick, for letting offensive guys like Lewis/Cooks/Amendola/Solder walk and banking on the 32-year old health of Julian Edelman coming off an ACL injury. You're also gonna bank on Josh Gordon to make a huge impact this season. Should just pick up Dez Bryant while they're at it.

And then not fixing the defense after an abysmal Superbowl 52 performance. McCourty looks like a wash, Chung can't chase his own shadow, Rowe who looks like a nobody at this point, and literally no efficient pass rushers and no guys who could stop the run. They also let Butler go.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2018, 04:17:06 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
truly a must win with the undefeated Dolphins coming to town.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2018, 01:33:15 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Pats D looking quicker today against Miami.  Coverage seems good (Tannehill has had time, not finding open receivers). Covering the run VERY well so far.  Got some pressure last set.  Gordon with a reception.

Edit:  Of course --- jinx reigns!! As soon as I post, Brady throws a pick.

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2018, 02:40:08 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Quite a half for the defense.  Tannehill unable to find an open receiver most of the half.

Also nice running game for the Pats.  Will be great to get Edelman back if this game continues as its going.  A little confidence for Patterson and Dorsett (great TD catch for him).  And Josh Gordon looks like he can contribute - 1 catch for a first.  Had another 1st down reception called back on a penalty.

Dolphins were injury bit on D last week, showing today v. the run.   

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2018, 03:06:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It's been a weird football season so far.  Every team out there seems to have some serious flaws.

I'm just enjoying the one weekend per decade when my Bears look like the best team in football, haha.

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2018, 03:35:18 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Good to see Sony Michel have a game.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC