Author Topic: Celtics Sign Blake Griffin  (Read 11192 times)

Re: Celtics Sign Blake Griffin
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2022, 11:35:49 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671
Good signing IMO.  I like having actual NBA players at the end of the bench.  With Gallo and Rob out, we need the added depth on the interior. 

Probably not an every-night player when we get Rob back and that's okay.  He can provide injury insurance and a veteran voice.  Might even have some things to teach Tatum and Brown.  People forget how good this dude was when he still had his athleticism. 

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2022, 11:35:54 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Which dumpster dive are we cutting and sending to Maine to make room?

I'll guess Jackson.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2022, 11:36:05 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Wasn’t he the guy who refused to come to the Cs because a player (rumored to be then celtics player Tristan Thompson) told him that the team was a mess? Hopefully he still has something left in the tank and contributes quality minutes for the team.

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2022, 11:36:26 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I have no clue why PBS would sign Blake Griffin.

Griffin is completely washed physically, has never been a good defender, an average to poor shooter, and although he seems a nice guy, he’s never shown any leadership qualities his entire career.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2022, 11:41:32 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671
Wasn’t he the guy who refused to come to the Cs because a player (rumored to be then celtics player Tristan Thompson) told him that the team was a mess? Hopefully he still has something left in the tank and contributes quality minutes for the team.

In fairness, this team was a mess when Tristan Thompson was here.  ...And there's some correlation there, I suspect. 

I bet Griffin isn't the only one who wanted no part of this team at the time. 

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2022, 11:41:43 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
I’m surprised to see that he’s only 33 years old. The report said that the Celtics were impressed with his workouts so maybe he’s in better shape now than he was in BKN.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/09/celtics-to-sign-blake-griffin.html

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2022, 11:42:45 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Griffin is a traffic cone on defense. Can probably hold ground against slower big men but that's it.

He won't fit into our group defensive scheme. But I guess there weren't a lot of options for the vet minimum.

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2022, 11:45:29 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kinda like it.

He can still shoot but not much else...

He's decent as a rebounder and good as a passer.

Defensively he's not much, and he's lost a ton of athleticism.
I see it like you Roy. He can shoot. Actually very good from mid range. He's an okay rebounder. I really like his passing, something that this team needs and wouldn't have gotten from Gallo. He's a better passer than Horford.

Defensively, I think he's better than he is given credit for, though in our defensive scheme, he will be a liability. If a zone or drop down defense is used with him in there, he will be alright.

He is a center now so don't see Brad running out to grab a Favors, Howard, Whiteside or Boogie any time soon.

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2022, 11:45:54 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
He’s a better option than the garbage pail kids Brad signed.

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2022, 11:55:45 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
So the big question now is who will make the cut for the last two slots? Or do we opt to sign just one more guy and keep a roster spot open? With the Griffin signing, I guess Vonleh is now out of the picture? I’m still hoping we somehow keep Samanic and see how he develops.

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2022, 12:00:12 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

In fairness, this team was a mess when Tristan Thompson was here.  ...And there's some correlation there, I suspect. 

I bet Griffin isn't the only one who wanted no part of this team at the time.

Saw this elsewhere, thought it funny: 

Blake Griffin becomes the 3rd Celtic (current or former) to have dated or married a Kardashian sister.   #randomfact
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2022, 12:00:53 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Himmelsbach says it's a vet minimum deal.

Griffin is pretty much washed BUT I always remember how he definitely played tough against us in the Nets series last season especially in Game 3. Jaylen hit some nice buckets over him but it wasn't like Griffin was making it too easy either. He looked like the only one who cared on BKN during that series lol despite his limitations
For a washed-up dude, I thought he played hard and certainly hit some timely buckets...but yeah to your point, it seemed he played with some passion to prove himself coming back.

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2022, 12:07:21 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Kinda like it.

He can still shoot but not much else...

He's decent as a rebounder and good as a passer.

Defensively he's not much, and he's lost a ton of athleticism.
I see it like you Roy. He can shoot. Actually very good from mid range. He's an okay rebounder. I really like his passing, something that this team needs and wouldn't have gotten from Gallo. He's a better passer than Horford.

Defensively, I think he's better than he is given credit for, though in our defensive scheme, he will be a liability. If a zone or drop down defense is used with him in there, he will be alright.

He is a center now so don't see Brad running out to grab a Favors, Howard, Whiteside or Boogie any time soon.

Yeah, he's a legit pro player at least, with tons of playoff experience. And I do like his passing, which this team needs.

Maybe our team defense can cover his deficiencies without opening up new vulnerabilities. If anyone can do it, it's Smart, Timelord and Co. That would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2022, 12:15:33 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
My initial reaction was - great signing to replace Gallo. Then I see that he shot 26% from 3pt range last season. Granted the Nets were a dumpster fire, 2nd half of the season, but that's not good.

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2022, 12:19:49 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Hysterical thread. Just about every take in the book aside from he’s a star.

I think the Garden crown is going to love Blake Griffin.