Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at Heat (0-0) Summer League Game #1 7/9/22  (Read 16001 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) at Heat (0-0) Summer League Game #1 7/9/22
« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2022, 09:11:32 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Begharin and Davidson might - might - make an nba roster someday but are they ever raw. Davidson’s handle is so loose! Weird to see a PG keep his dribble so far from his body, and not quite under control; he’s the opposite of a Brogdon or a Chris Paul, who are close to the body and balanced. He drives into traffic without any apparent plan - repeatedly. The coaching staff has its work cut out.

Hauser shows reasonable ability to stay in front of his man, and given his track record we can write this off as a bad shooting day, but it’s obviously not what you’d hope for.

Davinson turned the ball over once...

I didn’t say he was was making bad passes. I’m saying he didn’t do the things a good nba point guard does to control his momentum and his defender.

« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2022, 09:13:06 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Begharin and Davidson might - might - make an nba roster someday but are they ever raw. Davidson’s handle is so loose! Weird to see a PG keep his dribble so far from his body, and not quite under control; he’s the opposite of a Brogdon or a Chris Paul, who are close to the body and balanced. He drives into traffic without any apparent plan - repeatedly. The coaching staff has its work cut out.

Hauser shows reasonable ability to stay in front of his man, and given his track record we can write this off as a bad shooting day, but it’s obviously not what you’d hope for.

Davidson had 6ast to only 1TO. That seems under control to me. It’s fine for Hauser to have an off night shooting, but in 34 mins of play he should really have a better stat line than 7pts, 3rebs and 2ast considering it’s a summer league game.

Watch the game and see if that stat line tells the story. His handle is really far from his body. He went 1-6 inside the arc because he couldn’t create good looks; couldn’t create separation, and a few times he launched out of control shots anyway - taking off on one leg pretty far from the hoop. He also drove into traffic multiple times and just stopped - those weren’t turnovers because the defense was a mess and there was someone he could ultimately toss it to. You watch a Brogdon or even a Smart, and you see a guy who is able to change direction, has the ball on a string, can get a guy on his hip and keep him there. Davidson is a lot of loping strides and dribbles with the ball way out in front of him.

Are you comparing a 19 year old kid who was the 53rd pick in the summer league to the 28 year old DPOY and a 30 year old rookie of the year? Yeah, he's not as good as those guys.

« Reply #167 on: July 09, 2022, 09:14:12 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I didn’t say he was was making bad passes. I’m saying he didn’t do the things a good nba point guard does to control his momentum and his defender.

He's a 19 year old 53rd pick. He has a way to go.

« Reply #168 on: July 09, 2022, 09:24:04 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Davidson had 6ast to only 1TO. That seems under control to me. It’s fine for Hauser to have an off night shooting, but in 34 mins of play he should really have a better stat line than 7pts, 3rebs and 2ast considering it’s a summer league game.

Watch the game and see if that stat line tells the story. His handle is really far from his body. He went 1-6 inside the arc because he couldn’t create good looks; couldn’t create separation, and a few times he launched out of control shots anyway - taking off on one leg pretty far from the hoop. He also drove into traffic multiple times and just stopped - those weren’t turnovers because the defense was a mess and there was someone he could ultimately toss it to. You watch a Brogdon or even a Smart, and you see a guy who is able to change direction, has the ball on a string, can get a guy on his hip and keep him there. Davidson is a lot of loping strides and dribbles with the ball way out in front of him.

I did watch the game. He had 1 turnover. I don’t care how it looks. I expect that JD will make more layups as well and he shot 2-5 from 3pt. He did a fine job for his first game.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2022, 09:26:12 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I did watch the game. He had 1 turnover. I don’t care how it looks.

In a game with so many turnovers having one while handling the ball a lot against a tough Miami guard bunch was very good.

« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2022, 09:42:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I did watch the game. He had 1 turnover. I don’t care how it looks.

In a game with so many turnovers having one while handling the ball a lot against a tough Miami guard bunch was very good.

His confidence and handle and high gear speed were impressive .  He seemed to know what he wanted to do with the ball , quick thinker always looking up court   Problem is he is no threat to knock down a shot himself…..but that alone qualifies him as a potential guard … ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 11:03:42 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2022, 09:57:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I agree that it's an important distinction to make. Brown often looks more out of control than Tatum, yet JT turns it over more. Just one example
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2022, 07:42:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

It's way, way, WAY too early to predict the future of these young guys.  Some of them could look completely different even in the next game.  They have to be able to learn and grow.

« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2022, 11:10:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
After watching some of this game, I am wondering why we gave Sam Hauser a contract prior to Summer League.
I gotta say, I really missed people coming to conclusions from one half of Summer League play.

Don't give up your day job for comedy, my friend. 

The guy can't stay in front of his man.   We saw this the whole last season.   Do you follow the G league?  Seen his call ups where he got in garbage.    His is not a NBA level defender.  So my conclusion are based on more than game and anyone with sagacious perception can discern that fact.   Teams always chase their mistakes, we let Struss go and we are looking for our version of it.

Sometimes these shooters have other skills that can keep him on the floor, Sam does not.   He is a one trick pony.   He can shoot but was off yesterday.  He can't handle the ball, defend or rebound.

« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2022, 01:24:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Davison could be decent back up PG in NBA IF he learns how to shoot from 3 and learns how to finish.  He is so fast and athletic he is very good at creating space.  He smoked some bunnies, so I think if he just works more on his focus he can solve his finishing pretty fast.  His J will take time though. It is quite ugly. I know he hit a couple of 3s but man  it is an ugly shot.

If he can fix these things we could have a nice PG off the bench in a couple of years. Much higher on him than Yam Madar.  Davison is much better IMO.

« Reply #175 on: July 10, 2022, 05:59:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
After watching some of this game, I am wondering why we gave Sam Hauser a contract prior to Summer League.
I gotta say, I really missed people coming to conclusions from one half of Summer League play.

The guy can't stay in front of his man.   We saw this the whole last season.   Do you follow the G league?  Seen his call ups where he got in garbage.    His is not a NBA level defender.  So my conclusion are based on more than game and anyone with sagacious perception can discern that fact.   Teams always chase their mistakes, we let Struss go and we are looking for our version of it.

Sometimes these shooters have other skills that can keep him on the floor, Sam does not.   He is a one trick pony.   He can shoot but was off yesterday.  He can't handle the ball, defend or rebound.
I like that you make such statements without anything to back it up. He's actually a perfectly fine rebounder - his rebound % is 10%, whereas Tatum's is 12%. Pretty marginal difference there.

He's also a perfectly fine passer. Gets a decent amount of assists for his role as a movement shooter, and doesn't turn the ball over. He's also a slightly below average defender, not the kind of hopeless cone you act as if he is.

« Reply #176 on: July 10, 2022, 06:10:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I like that you make such statements without anything to back it up. He's actually a perfectly fine rebounder - his rebound % is 10%, whereas Tatum's is 12%. Pretty marginal difference there.

He's also a perfectly fine passer. Gets a decent amount of assists for his role as a movement shooter, and doesn't turn the ball over. He's also a slightly below average defender, not the kind of hopeless cone you act as if he is.

Summer league with young reckless teammates the worst venue for Sam. Have to trust coaches what they’ve seen of him in many practices he is worth 2 year guaranty. Keeping my expectations low but if he can come in to help when guys hurt or need rest he is worth the contract.

« Reply #177 on: July 10, 2022, 06:18:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Summer league with young reckless teammates the worst venue for Sam. Have to trust coaches what they’ve seen of him in many practices he is worth 2 year guaranty. Keeping my expectations low but if he can come in to help when guys hurt or need rest he is worth the contract.
Exactly. He gets shots off movement and screening, so playing with below average passers (very below average for NBA level), small bigs who aren't great screeners (besides Trevion), and a team that doesn't have much rhythm is a bad recipe for him.