Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at Heat (0-0) Summer League Game #1 7/9/22  (Read 15996 times)

Celtics (0-0) at Heat (0-0) Summer League Game #1 7/9/22
« on: July 08, 2022, 10:08:49 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (0-0)  at  Miami Heat (0-0)
Summer League Game #1
Saturday, July 9, 2022
5:30 PM ET
TV:  NBA-TV
Cox Pavillion

Celtics Roster
JD Davison  20
Juhann Begarin  45
Trevion Williams   50
Jordan Bone  51
Mfiondu Kabengele  24
AJ Reeves  41
Brodric Thomas  97
Matt Ryan  37
Sam Hauser  30
Jericole  Hellems  29
Bryton Hobbs   55
Aubrey Dawkins  38
Robert Franks   43

Possible Starters
JD Davison
Juhann Begarin
Sam Hauser
Matt Ryan
Trevion Williams

Head Coach
Ben Sullivan

Players to Watch

Sam Hauser
Hauser is the only Summer League player with a guaranteed roster spot for next season. He just signed a new 3 year contract with the Celtics. He shot 40.7 percent from 3-point range in 13 games with Maine and 43.2 percent from beyond the arc in 26 games with Boston in his rookie season.  He will be looking to prove that he belongs on the roster with a solid showing in Las Vegas.

Trevion Williams
With the Celtics needing more help at center for the upcoming season, the team will take a good look at Trevion Williams, an undrafted center out of Purdue.  He is a strong rebounder and finisher and has garnered a lot of attention for his elite passing in Summer League practices so far. 

JD Davison
The Celtics only pick in this year's draft was JD Davison, taken with the 53rd pick.   The Celtics will be watching to see if he can run the offense and also if he can improve on his turnover numbers from college.    He has promised to be a "dog" on both ends of the court and if he can follow up on that promise,  he may be a pleasant surprise. 

Heat Roster
Marcus Garrett  0
Nikola Jovic 5
Mychal Mulder  12
Javonte Smart  15
Haywood Highsmith 24
Kyle Allman, Jr   50
Jamaree Bouyea  52
Bryce Hamilton   53
Jamal Cain  54
Jalen Adaway   56
Aaron Wheeler  57
Bryson Williams   58
Orlando Robinson   59
Omer Yurtseven 77

Possible Starters
Mychal Mulder
Javonte Smart
Nikola Jovic 
Haywood Highsmith
Orlando Robinson

Head Coach
Malik Allen

Players to Watch

Nikola Jovic
Jovic was the 27th pick in this year's draft.  He had 25 points and 9 rebounds in the Heat's final game in the California Summer League.  He is a talented shot maker who can score from all over the court.  He has good size for a wing and will be looking to make the 26 teams who passed on him sorry that they did. 

Orlando Robinson
Robinson started every game for the Heat in California, averaging 8.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.3 steals per game.  The 7 footer has signed an Exhibit 10 contract and will be competing for a two-way spot with the Heat for this upcoming season.

Haywood Highsmith
Highsmith started all of the Heat's games in California and averaged 10.7 points, 8.3 rebounds and 1.7 steals.  He shot 41.7% from beyond the arc in those games.   He has 2 years experience with the 76ers and their G-League team.  He also played 1 year in Europe.  He feels he can replace what PJ Tucker brought to the Heat and will be looking to prove that in these games. 

Game Notes
The Summer Celtics take on the Summer Heat.  These franchises last met in the Eastern Conference Finals where the Celtics beat the Heat in 7 games to move on to the NBA Finals.   While the rivalry lessens with the Summer League version of these teams,  it is a rivalry no less and these two franchises do not like each other. 

This is the first game for both of these teams in the Las Vegas Summer League.  However,  the Heat played in the California Classic, finishing with a 1-2 record.   They averaged 74.7 points and 38.3 rebounds in those games.  They shot 38.5% from the field and 27.6% from beyond the arc.  The experience in California could give the Heat an advantage when it comes to chemistry. 

As with every Summer League, it's difficult to predict a starting lineup as coaches are looking to try different lineups and combination of players and they want to get an idea of what each player brings to the table.  For the most part, evaluating players to see which ones might fit with the roster is more important to these coaches than winning the games. 

Keys to the Game
Shooting - The Celtics will be looking for players who can shoot from the outside and also who can finish at the basket.  Sam Hauser will look to earn a spot in the rotation by showing he can hit his shots and also defend on the NBA level. 

Defense - The Celtics put a premium on playing defense and they will be looking to see which Summer Celtics fit that mold.  JD Davison has already said that he plans to show he can be a dog on the defensive end.  Will other Celtics step up on defense as well? 

Chemistry - The Heat have already played in 3 games in California and will have an advantage with their chemistry. The Heat lost their first 2 games in California and then won their 3rd, showing that their chemistry is growing.  Will the Celtics be able to develop chemistry quickly and play together on both ends of the court?   

X-Factors
It's Summer League - While teams want to win, every one of these teams is pretty much cobbled together from undrafted players, end of bench players, and G-League players.  They have had limited practice time for the  most part and so it's hard to tell how each team will play and which teams will dominate.  One thing for sure is that every player is trying to get noticed and earn a place on a roster and so we may see some players surprise us. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 10:20:54 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (0-0) at Heat (0-0) Summer League Game #1 7/9/22
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 10:10:10 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
First!

Starting the summer off right!  Go Celtics!  Thanks for the thread FLC!

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 10:10:59 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  Celtics2021  for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Summer Celtics!!!!

Beat the Heat!!! 

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 10:19:56 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Not first!
But interested!

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 10:22:54 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Let's go summer Cs.  I've missed these game threads.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 10:24:38 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
It's been too long since I last seen these game threads!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 11:03:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Come on young Celtics!!!!

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 11:11:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP for the first summer league game thread FL.  wish there was another option for watching the game besides NBATV

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2022, 12:18:49 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Yes, A game thread! It’s been too long.  :D
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2022, 12:30:40 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
flc, if you were not already married i would propose. your game threads are amazing and wonderful.

thank you. these threads are one of THE best things on CS. a tp for sure.

the celtics will reverse their 3 game losing streak and stop the ever living snot out of whomever they are playing.

we will see new and shiny binkies rise and fall this summer as CS over reacts, enjoys, and cheers on their beloved baby celtics.

goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo baby celtics!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2022, 06:32:35 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
TP for the first summer league game thread FL.  wish there was another option for watching the game besides NBATV

So ESPN2 provides us with the Pistons game but not the Celtics game?  I wonder how significant the financial gain is for the NBA to blackout SL games in home markets to encourage NBATV subscriptions?  No chance I’ll purchase NBATV. I’m disappointed as I thought I’d be watching today as in previous years.

Does this mean none of SL Celtics games will be available without NBATV?

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2022, 08:49:12 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

So ESPN2 provides us with the Pistons game but not the Celtics game?  I wonder how significant the financial gain is for the NBA to blackout SL games in home markets to encourage NBATV subscriptions?  No chance I’ll purchase NBATV. I’m disappointed as I thought I’d be watching today as in previous years.

My understanding is that NBC Sports Boston will have a couple of the games that are on NBA TV.

The Celtics, having no top picks or 2nd year players, are unsurprisingly not as interesting to ESPN, so we get put to NBA TV when playing a team like Miami, which also is short on such players.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2022, 09:20:12 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

My understanding is that NBC Sports Boston will have a couple of the games that are on NBA TV.

The Celtics, having no top picks or 2nd year players, are unsurprisingly not as interesting to ESPN, so we get put to NBA TV when playing a team like Miami, which also is short on such players.
sadly, that would make sense although there's enough ESPN channels filled with drivel that they could carry all the games without issue.  at least NBC Sports is making the last 2 games available.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2022, 09:35:13 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Be good to see if that Jovic guy is good enough to help Miami this year. They desperately need a big forward with quality & size.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2022, 09:47:29 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
Am excited to see Trevion Williams play. I wanna see his interaction with Hauser, if he can give Hauser some easy looks.