Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at Warriors (0-0) The Finals Game #1 6/2/22  (Read 52735 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) at Warriors (0-0) The Finals Game #1 6/2/22
« Reply #1425 on: June 04, 2022, 03:00:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
How about the in-game adjustments by Ime in game 1? Not just the motivational speech that got them going in the 4th, but going with a smaller lineup down the stretch forcing the Warriors to keep Looney on the bench, and sticking with Pritchard and White through than huge run. Not many coaches would have the guts to bench their top 2 defenders in the 4th quarter of the NBA finals in Smart and Rob, and it paid off big time. The extra shooting and ball handling really opened up the floor for us.

« Reply #1426 on: June 04, 2022, 05:14:35 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
The Golden State Warriors are 1-8 in their last 9 NBA Finals games when Kevin Durant did not play  :o

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1427 on: June 04, 2022, 05:36:55 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I just am shocked this is the warriors attitude. I think it's disrespectful to the Celtics.

Usually you hear "oh they punched us in the face that's a good team we need to respond."

Instead it's basically "eh they are just lucky they aren't that good" but great keep that attitude maybe Tatum will go off for 46 next game.
while i disagree with the warriors, i can see what they may be thinking. the outplayed the celtics after 3 quarters. the celtics are a notoriously on-and-off shooting team. aside from the Js, they really do not have a dependable 3 point shooter.

so the warriors achieved their goal, i think, which is "don't let tatum or brown score a ton. let the others get their shots and we live with the outcome."

they got pretty much that outcome. tatum did not score. brown got some points. but smart, horford, and white (!?) all had great shooting games.

right now GS may be thinking, let's run back our game plan. smart horford, and white will NOT shoot 15-23 from 3 point land again. that means, no 40 point quarter by the celtics and GS wins.

i can see their point. but i think (hope?) Udoka plans ahead for this.

I think it's a safe bet that Ime's not counting on getting that kind of shooting from 3. My biggest concern is Marcus Smart. I don't want him thinking that he's turned into Steph and end up going 3-17 from the three-point line.

Mike

« Reply #1428 on: June 04, 2022, 05:46:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I just am shocked this is the warriors attitude. I think it's disrespectful to the Celtics.

Usually you hear "oh they punched us in the face that's a good team we need to respond."

Instead it's basically "eh they are just lucky they aren't that good" but great keep that attitude maybe Tatum will go off for 46 next game.
while i disagree with the warriors, i can see what they may be thinking. the outplayed the celtics after 3 quarters. the celtics are a notoriously on-and-off shooting team. aside from the Js, they really do not have a dependable 3 point shooter.

so the warriors achieved their goal, i think, which is "don't let tatum or brown score a ton. let the others get their shots and we live with the outcome."

they got pretty much that outcome. tatum did not score. brown got some points. but smart, horford, and white (!?) all had great shooting games.

right now GS may be thinking, let's run back our game plan. smart horford, and white will NOT shoot 15-23 from 3 point land again. that means, no 40 point quarter by the celtics and GS wins.

i can see their point. but i think (hope?) Udoka plans ahead for this.

I think it's a safe bet that Ime's not counting on getting that kind of shooting from 3. My biggest concern is Marcus Smart. I don't want him thinking that he's turned into Steph and end up going 3-17 from the three-point line.

Mike

I think Ime is well aware of that. It was just recently in game 7 of the ECFs that Smart went 0 for everything down the stretch as we almost gave away the series.

The Warriors defense is banking on stopping Tatum and forcing other guys to beat them. While our other guys won't go supernova every night, they won't all suck either. Brown alone can beat them if they focus too much on Tatum. Then between Horford, White, Grant Williams, Smart, and Pritchard, we have enough secondary firepower to do damage.

« Reply #1429 on: June 04, 2022, 06:19:17 PM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston
 I’ll be interested to see if Kerr plays the Payton and Kuminga card this game. If so we just have to ignore those guys on offense just like Green and Iggy. The more non shooters they put on the floor the better. It helps our defense. Just have to box out. It will be really hard for them to score.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #1430 on: June 04, 2022, 09:39:16 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
According to Draymond Green they dominated the game for 41 or 42 minutes.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #1431 on: June 04, 2022, 09:59:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The Golden State Warriors are 1-8 in their last 9 NBA Finals games when Kevin Durant did not play  :o

I still think KD going to the Warriors was a cupcake move on his part, but I also feel KD going there may have helped Curry's legacy even more than people think. Curry's the best shooter in NBA history and a superstar no doubt, but there is no way he's up there with the likes of Lebron, Jordan, Giannis (who now has a well-deserved ring from 2021), etc. yet the media acts like he's "on the cusp". As if ignoring the help he's had particularly for his 2nd and 3rd titles (KD, Klay, etc.). Also even his first title, the Warriors were greatly aided by Love and Irving being hurt.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1432 on: June 04, 2022, 10:06:17 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

I still think KD going to the Warriors was a cupcake move on his part, but I also feel KD going there may have helped Curry's legacy even more than people think. Curry's the best shooter in NBA history and a superstar no doubt, but there is no way he's up there with the likes of Lebron, Jordan, Giannis (who now has a well-deserved ring from 2021), etc. yet the media acts like he's "on the cusp". As if ignoring the help he's had particularly for his 2nd and 3rd titles (KD, Klay, etc.). Also even his first title, the Warriors were greatly aided by Love and Irving being hurt.

That 2014-2015 Warriors went 6 games with the Cavs. Imagine Kyrie and Love were healthy? Wouldn't have been a cakewalk for them

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1433 on: June 04, 2022, 10:23:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

That 2014-2015 Warriors went 6 games with the Cavs. Imagine Kyrie and Love were healthy? Wouldn't have been a cakewalk for them

Yeah that's also why I laugh at this notion that the C's got "lucky" in this whole run missing Middleton, Herro, etc. Almost every team that's made the Finals over the last decade has gotten some luck going their way which includes injuries to key guys on the other team. Tough luck. Boston's been on the "injured" end of that spectrum too a ton so sorry if I'm not as sympathetic to that.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1434 on: June 05, 2022, 12:45:55 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah that's also why I laugh at this notion that the C's got "lucky" in this whole run missing Middleton, Herro, etc. Almost every team that's made the Finals over the last decade has gotten some luck going their way which includes injuries to key guys on the other team. Tough luck. Boston's been on the "injured" end of that spectrum too a ton so sorry if I'm not as sympathetic to that.

It's not like we haven't had injuries this postseason. I get that it hasn't been any one guy, but that can sometimes be difficult as we have had to game plan for different players being out, while other teams knew ahead of time who would be out and what rotations they might need to use. We basically gave Miami a one game head start with the surprise exclusions of Horford and Smart.

With GS, we are the more 'injured' team anyway. Rob is obviously not 100% and Smart is still healing up from multiple injuries, while all of their guys are back and ready to go. Beating the Warriors would be extra sweet, as we've been playing them well for years despite their dominance.