Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at Warriors (0-0) The Finals Game #1 6/2/22  (Read 53998 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) at Warriors (0-0) The Finals Game #1 6/2/22
« Reply #1410 on: June 03, 2022, 08:19:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Warriors especially Green are very cocky..they probably thought they would sweep the Celtics

yeah i've never heard a team say after a loss "well they just shot well they arent that good" which is basically what he is saying.

while discounting they shot well and tatum shot 17%

He didn't say that.

"They stayed within striking distance and they made shots late," Green said. "We'll be fine. We'll figure out the ways we can stop them from getting those 3s and take them away. I don't think it was a rhythm thing. We pretty much dominated the game for the first 41, 42 minutes, so we'll be fine."

"They hit 21 3s and Marcus Smart, Al Horford and Derrick White combined for 15," Green said. "Those guys are good shooters, but they combined for what, 15 out of eight, Smart seven, eight, 15-for-23. Is my math right? Eight, seven and eight. Eight, seven and eight. Yea, that's 23, right? 15-for-23 from those guys. Eh. We'll be fine."

He quite literally said they are good.
Not sure what Draymond was talking about saying the Dubs dominated for 41, 42 minutes. After 1, it was GSW by 4. After 2, Celtics by 2. At 41,42 minutes mark, it was tie game. How is that dominating the game.

I guess he has to tell himself whatever he needs to to get his head back into the series, but the Dubs only dominated for about 7-8 minutes of the 3rd period.

Not sure why he can't just give the Celtics credit. It's as if the Celtics are "beneath" the warriors. I hope Ime is playing these comments every day to the Celtics "hey golden state doesn't think you can do this again"

Even the first quarter I wouldn't say was domination. Up by 4. Ended the half down 2.

Draymond is a byproduct of peak Steph/Klay. He showed us who he is without them; a jag. He's never shown much intelligence publicly so my suggestion to him is keep throwing the shade.
I think this is completely incorrect. He is one of the biggest ceiling raisers in the NBA. Golden State have essentially been a .500 team in games he's missed since he was drafted, compared to ~.700 when he plays. Without him they never win anything.

Completely disagree. He's a complementary piece not a star and his reputation entirely depends on those two being who they are. Without them, he's thoroughly average.
Draymond is one the same scale and quality of player as Smart. They have a lot of similarities. If Draymond is a JAG, then so is Smart.

I don't think either are JAGs, but maybe a couple of the best defenders and glue guys of the past 20 years.

Smart has developed an offensive game, Draymond never had one. There's no comparison.
This is just provably wrong. Draymond's career highs in points, assists, field goal % and three point % are all higher than Smart's.

Evidently, comprehension is not your strong suit gleefully glossing over the "has developed" component of my comment but for you, that's typical, isn't it. Now, with that out of the way, would you like to present the career averages as opposed to cherrypicking career highs.
Lol.

He "has developed" into a player who is inferior than Draymond's peak, a player who "never had" an offensive game. I think you're starting to realise that your nonsensical argument is indefensible, so you're resorting to quite pathetic insults. Very well done! :)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1411 on: June 03, 2022, 08:58:47 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Warriors especially Green are very cocky..they probably thought they would sweep the Celtics

yeah i've never heard a team say after a loss "well they just shot well they arent that good" which is basically what he is saying.

He didn't say that.

"They stayed within striking distance and they made shots late," Green said. "We'll be fine. We'll figure out the ways we can stop them from getting those 3s and take them away. I don't think it was a rhythm thing. We pretty much dominated the game for the first 41, 42 minutes, so we'll be fine."

"They hit 21 3s and Marcus Smart, Al Horford and Derrick White combined for 15," Green said. "Those guys are good shooters, but they combined for what, 15 out of eight, Smart seven, eight, 15-for-23. Is my math right? Eight, seven and eight. Eight, seven and eight. Yea, that's 23, right? 15-for-23 from those guys. Eh. We'll be fine."

Not sure what Draymond was talking about saying the Dubs dominated for 41, 42 minutes. After 1, it was GSW by 4. After 2, Celtics by 2. At 41,42 minutes mark, it was tie game. How is that dominating the game.

I guess he has to tell himself whatever he needs to to get his head back into the series, but the Dubs only dominated for about 7-8 minutes of the 3rd period.

Not sure why he can't just give the Celtics credit. It's as if the Celtics are "beneath" the warriors. I hope Ime is playing these comments every day to the Celtics "hey golden state doesn't think you can do this again"

Even the first quarter I wouldn't say was domination. Up by 4. Ended the half down 2.

Draymond is a byproduct of peak Steph/Klay. He showed us who he is without them; a jag. He's never shown much intelligence publicly so my suggestion to him is keep throwing the shade.
I think this is completely incorrect. He is one of the biggest ceiling raisers in the NBA. Golden State have essentially been a .500 team in games he's missed since he was drafted, compared to ~.700 when he plays. Without him they never win anything.

Completely disagree. He's a complementary piece not a star and his reputation entirely depends on those two being who they are. Without them, he's thoroughly average.
Draymond is one the same scale and quality of player as Smart. They have a lot of similarities. If Draymond is a JAG, then so is Smart.

I don't think either are JAGs, but maybe a couple of the best defenders and glue guys of the past 20 years.

Smart has developed an offensive game, Draymond never had one. There's no comparison.
This is just provably wrong. Draymond's career highs in points, assists, field goal % and three point % are all higher than Smart's.

Evidently, comprehension is not your strong suit gleefully glossing over the "has developed" component of my comment but for you, that's typical, isn't it. Now, with that out of the way, would you like to present the career averages as opposed to cherrypicking career highs.
Lol.

He "has developed" into a player who is inferior than Draymond's peak, a player who "never had" an offensive game. I think you're starting to realise that your nonsensical argument is indefensible, so you're resorting to quite pathetic insults. Very well done! :)

Great, so you can't disprove it. Thanks for the verification.

« Reply #1412 on: June 03, 2022, 09:45:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

He didn't say that.

Lol.

What do you mean "disprove it"? You made the claim that Smart has developed an offensive game the likes of which Draymond has never possessed - the onus is absolutely on you to prove that.

That's like saying "I've been to Mars, and as you haven't tried to disprove it it's verified".

« Reply #1413 on: June 03, 2022, 09:53:24 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday

He didn't say that.

Lol.

What do you mean "disprove it"? You made the claim that Smart has developed an offensive game the likes of which Draymond has never possessed - the onus is absolutely on you to prove that.

That's like saying "I've been to Mars, and as you haven't tried to disprove it it's verified".

It's nothing like that.

« Reply #1414 on: June 03, 2022, 09:58:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

He didn't say that.

Lol.

I gave you numbers for the past 7 years and you ignored them. If at the start of the run Dray was at his best and declined and the opposite was true for Smart and he developed, the whole 7 years numbers are relevant.

But let's play along with your development narrative and look at how both have affected their team's offense over just the last two year.

Dray is 7.2/7.2/8.1 with a TS% of 55.2%. Let's assume for the sake of argument that for each assist both players averaged a creation of 2.3 points per assist. Basically 1 out of every 3 assists is for a three pointer. Dray contributed 25.8 points to the offense.

Marcus is 12.5/3.7/5.8 with a TS% of 54% His contributions to the offense is.....what do you know.....25.8 points.

They contributed the same amount of points and Dray scored more efficiently. Marcus scored more and had more offensive WS and OBPM. But Dray had the higher TS%, Reb%, OReb%, Ast%, and assists

And they contributed overall the same amount of points to the offense as a whole.

Seems like both players are on equal footing offensively, even though Smart has "developed" but Dray is in decline.

Any way you look at it, I see these guys as incredibly similar and important as to what they bring to their team on both ends of the floor. Numbers prove it. Eye test, IMHO, does as well.

« Reply #1415 on: June 03, 2022, 10:27:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

He didn't say that.

Lol.

It's nothing like that.
Great, so you can't prove it. Thanks for the verification.

« Reply #1416 on: June 04, 2022, 01:23:33 AM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday

He didn't say that.

Lol.

I gave you numbers for the past 7 years and you ignored them. If at the start of the run Dray was at his best and declined and the opposite was true for Smart and he developed, the whole 7 years numbers are relevant.

But let's play along with your development narrative and look at how both have affected their team's offense over just the last two year.

Dray is 7.2/7.2/8.1 with a TS% of 55.2%. Let's assume for the sake of argument that for each assist both players averaged a creation of 2.3 points per assist. Basically 1 out of every 3 assists is for a three pointer. Dray contributed 25.8 points to the offense.

Marcus is 12.5/3.7/5.8 with a TS% of 54% His contributions to the offense is.....what do you know.....25.8 points.

They contributed the same amount of points and Dray scored more efficiently. Marcus scored more and had more offensive WS and OBPM. But Dray had the higher TS%, Reb%, OReb%, Ast%, and assists

And they contributed overall the same amount of points to the offense as a whole.

Seems like both players are on equal footing offensively, even though Smart has "developed" but Dray is in decline.

Any way you look at it, I see these guys as incredibly similar and important as to what they bring to their team on both ends of the floor. Numbers prove it. Eye test, IMHO, does as well.

You're right, I ignored them because you've conveniently left out a portion of Draymond's career to fit the narrative.

« Reply #1417 on: June 04, 2022, 02:12:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

He didn't say that.

Lol.

You're right, I ignored them because you've conveniently left out a portion of Draymond's career to fit the narrative.
I compared the last 7 years. Then I compared the last two years. I left out the early year(s) of both when both were terrible. I can include those years for both but it will only hurt Smart as his early year(s) he was HISTORICALLY bad at shooting and not racking up assists

Your whole narrative is that Smart has developed and is now a much better overall offensive player, but the numbers of recent years where Smart has developed show both players having an almost equal effect on their offenses.

I don't know what more you want for proof. You're whole argument is based around points per game but Smart is historically bad at scoring even if he averages 11-13 PPG. Even the last two years where Smart developed. He has a TS% if 54% which is over 2.5% lower than league average which is awful.

I have shown my proof to bare out my argument. Where is yours?

« Reply #1418 on: June 04, 2022, 04:47:47 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
Golden State decided to roll the dice by getting the ball out of Tatum's hands and seeing if the other Celtics could beat them.

A year ago it might of worked, he might have kept trying to force his shot over two defenders, not any longer, because JT turned into a facilitator and passed the ball to open men all game long and the "other" Celtics came through. I couldn't be any more happy with Tatums all around development. When the ball moves for this Celtic team, they're a tough nut to crack.

The Warriors are going to have to think of a different way to get to this Celtic team or chance going down 0-2 at home.

This.

when this team moves the ball omg watch out

i hesitate to say it

but other teams are almost doing us a favor forcing tatum to move it around

because clearly thats when we're at our best

lets keep it going!!!

Let's Go Celtics!!!!  :D

I don't disagree entirely, but what happened last night was borderline historic. 9-10 from 3 in the 4th Q? I imagine Golden State was pretty comfortable with how they played and it was 10 minutes of lights out shooting to beat them. I think Golden State is more inclined to see if Boston can do that again than completely chante their gameplan.

Probably true, but let's not get *too* caught up in the historic comeback.  We were up by two at half-time, so it's not like they were crushing us until the fourth.  The Warriors went on a big run in the 3rd; we went on a bigger one in the 4th.

We gotta do something about our 3d quarter meltdowns though.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #1419 on: June 04, 2022, 09:11:53 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I don’t think we ve seen the last of Big Al huge games .  He realizes the moment is NOW , it’s here , waiting 15 years for this moment .  It possibly means more to him than any other player. It could be his one and only chance before retiring .

I think he will play out of his mind to secure the remaining three wins the team needs.

So excited for him

« Reply #1420 on: June 04, 2022, 11:17:41 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Golden State decided to roll the dice by getting the ball out of Tatum's hands and seeing if the other Celtics could beat them.

A year ago it might of worked, he might have kept trying to force his shot over two defenders, not any longer, because JT turned into a facilitator and passed the ball to open men all game long and the "other" Celtics came through. I couldn't be any more happy with Tatums all around development. When the ball moves for this Celtic team, they're a tough nut to crack.

The Warriors are going to have to think of a different way to get to this Celtic team or chance going down 0-2 at home.

This.

when this team moves the ball omg watch out

i hesitate to say it

but other teams are almost doing us a favor forcing tatum to move it around

because clearly thats when we're at our best

lets keep it going!!!

Let's Go Celtics!!!!  :D

I don't disagree entirely, but what happened last night was borderline historic. 9-10 from 3 in the 4th Q? I imagine Golden State was pretty comfortable with how they played and it was 10 minutes of lights out shooting to beat them. I think Golden State is more inclined to see if Boston can do that again than completely chante their gameplan.

Probably true, but let's not get *too* caught up in the historic comeback.  We were up by two at half-time, so it's not like they were crushing us until the fourth.  The Warriors went on a big run in the 3rd; we went on a bigger one in the 4th.

We gotta do something about our 3d quarter meltdowns though.

The Celtics and Celtics fans if the C's didn't have their "dreaded 3rd quarters"

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1421 on: June 04, 2022, 12:05:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I just am shocked this is the warriors attitude. I think it's disrespectful to the Celtics.

Usually you hear "oh they punched us in the face that's a good team we need to respond."

Instead it's basically "eh they are just lucky they aren't that good" but great keep that attitude maybe Tatum will go off for 46 next game.
while i disagree with the warriors, i can see what they may be thinking. the outplayed the celtics after 3 quarters. the celtics are a notoriously on-and-off shooting team. aside from the Js, they really do not have a dependable 3 point shooter.

so the warriors achieved their goal, i think, which is "don't let tatum or brown score a ton. let the others get their shots and we live with the outcome."

they got pretty much that outcome. tatum did not score. brown got some points. but smart, horford, and white (!?) all had great shooting games.

right now GS may be thinking, let's run back our game plan. smart horford, and white will NOT shoot 15-23 from 3 point land again. that means, no 40 point quarter by the celtics and GS wins.

i can see their point. but i think (hope?) Udoka plans ahead for this.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1422 on: June 04, 2022, 12:46:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I just am shocked this is the warriors attitude. I think it's disrespectful to the Celtics.

Usually you hear "oh they punched us in the face that's a good team we need to respond."

Instead it's basically "eh they are just lucky they aren't that good" but great keep that attitude maybe Tatum will go off for 46 next game.
while i disagree with the warriors, i can see what they may be thinking. the outplayed the celtics after 3 quarters. the celtics are a notoriously on-and-off shooting team. aside from the Js, they really do not have a dependable 3 point shooter.

so the warriors achieved their goal, i think, which is "don't let tatum or brown score a ton. let the others get their shots and we live with the outcome."

they got pretty much that outcome. tatum did not score. brown got some points. but smart, horford, and white (!?) all had great shooting games.

right now GS may be thinking, let's run back our game plan. smart horford, and white will NOT shoot 15-23 from 3 point land again. that means, no 40 point quarter by the celtics and GS wins.

Still was quite arrogant and the dis surely did not go unnoticed by Celtics team ,  I was stunned by Greens comments and shrugging the Celtics hard work put in by this years young Celtics .

GS are on the backside of their careers with lots of injuries mounting up at 34-35 …..that’s only two less than AL.   The Celtics young legs and stamina are their biggest assets. 

Magic said they looked out of breath after the first.  I thought so too,  it was a noticeable drain on them to play Celtic level D.   

They had no energy to bring it in the fourth to play defense.  Celtics playing on young legs .

Warriors need like a 30-35 point separation because they are too old to lock down now.

Green has started to meet up with the ugly truth of Father Time. 
I looked for Tatum to lay a 45-50 point whipping on them .
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 12:51:52 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #1423 on: June 04, 2022, 01:57:31 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1811

Still was quite arrogant and the dis surely did not go unnoticed by Celtics team ,  I was stunned by Greens comments and shrugging the Celtics hard work put in by this years young Celtics .

GS are on the backside of their careers with lots of injuries mounting up at 34-35 …..that’s only two less than AL.   The Celtics young legs and stamina are their biggest assets. 

Magic said they looked out of breath after the first.  I thought so too,  it was a noticeable drain on them to play Celtic level D.   

They had no energy to bring it in the fourth to play defense.  Celtics playing on young legs .

Warriors need like a 30-35 point separation because they are too old to lock down now.

Green has started to meet up with the ugly truth of Father Time. 
I looked for Tatum to lay a 45-50 point whipping on them .

I like!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #1424 on: June 04, 2022, 02:30:29 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Green runs his mouth a lot and says stupid things from time to time, but, in fairness, everyone was shocked at what had just happened. Shaq, Beverley, and others on the post-game shows were just as stunned as the Warriors, with Shaq, for the first time I can recall, sheepishly saying he was wrong with his 5 game GSW prediction and admitted how shocked he was (as did Beverley).

GSW was up 15 with 1.38 to go in the 3rd and got outscored by 27 points in 13+ minutes after the announcers had already started anointing the Warriors as champs. I wasn't very calm once Brown took over the game, so I hurled a few choice F-words at my TV for the ears of the Warriors, their fans, their announcers, and anyone else not in green as the tsunami rolled over them. So by the time I saw Draymond Green's post-game presser, I was high as a kite. The Warriors should have said Boston played well, the Warriors let go of the rope, and the Warriors have to be better, yada, yada, yada. But at the end of the game, the Warriors were in shock.

So they provided some bulletin board material they shouldn't have (Good!!!), but in the context of what had just happened, I'm over it.

Until Sunday.