Author Topic: Heat (2-3) at Celtics (3-2) ECF Game #6 5/27/22  (Read 46729 times)

Re: Heat (2-3) at Celtics (3-2) ECF Game #6 5/27/22
« Reply #1395 on: May 28, 2022, 03:19:34 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
After sleeping on it, although not well, a few observations
 No Pritchard when they’re playing zone, bad challenge, etc. and why in the world did he keep Smart on Butler?
When Pritchard is in there, the Heat attack him constantly as they consider him the weak link in the C's defense - which he probably is. He needs to make shots when he has his chances - I think he only took one 3 last night and missed it.

You can definitely make the argument that he should have been playing more last night - though White stepped up nicely and that may have had something to do with it.

« Reply #1396 on: May 28, 2022, 03:21:56 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
Team needs some scoring vets off the bench
They do need one more. Ideally that's a role that Nesmith could take on - especially where he can also defend - but so far he shows no signs of that happening. You need someone who can step in to a game like last night's and make some shots when given the opportunities. He shoots and you expect him to miss.

« Reply #1397 on: May 28, 2022, 03:33:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Probably last minute but... could we do a TP wager thing again with Game 7 lol

Eh actually, maybe not. I'm still scarred from 4 years ago's ECF Game 7 lol (though when we did the TP wager for Game 7 of the Wizards series in 2017, that was sweet)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1398 on: May 28, 2022, 03:38:16 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

Eh actually, maybe not. I'm still scarred from 4 years ago's ECF Game 7 lol
I seem to remember losing a bunch from that one myself.

« Reply #1399 on: May 28, 2022, 03:38:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Eh actually, maybe not. I'm still scarred from 4 years ago's ECF Game 7 lol
I seem to remember losing a bunch from that one myself.

Yeah I forgot what I wagered but I think I put 500 on it (WELP)

But I did put like 250 on the Wizards series which was nice
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1400 on: May 28, 2022, 08:15:12 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Any Marcus smart slander will not be tolerated. Because everyone criticizing him was crying for him to be on the floor the games he has missed.

So just stop. It’s freaking pathetic.

but he deserves the criticism for his play tonight; he was abysmal on both ends of the floor.

the problem with this team is their ceiling is incredibly high but their floor hasn’t been raised and is still too low to be contenders. you can’t be in contention if your bad games are atrocious on a semi-regular basis. it’s a maturity issue that has plagued this team for years and it’s true of every starter, particularly jt, jb, and marcus.

Yeah, I think you're right that the floor is really the issue, not the ceiling. We just don't play smart, confident basketball all that consistently, and a lot of times when we get punched in the mouth in games we let it heavily affect us. I wonder how much of that is due to our two best players being so young.

I see it as a function of their games rather than their age / maturity ... meaning ... both guys are more scorers than creators for others. Scorers tend to have less control over the flow of the game. The tempo of the game. Whereas a playmaker like say LeBron has far more control of the overall than a scorer like Kawhi Leonard or Kevin Durant.

Therefore, Tatum and Jaylen gotta rely more on their teammates to control tempo / flow of the game. This means the team needs a lot more guys on the same page so more opportunity for things to go wrong ... relative to a team led by a guy like LeBron who can individually control so much more of what happens around him than scorers like Tatum or Jaylen.

« Reply #1401 on: May 28, 2022, 08:24:33 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
 No Pritchard when they’re playing zone, bad challenge, etc. and why in the world did he keep Smart on Butler?
When Pritchard is in there, the Heat attack him constantly as they consider him the weak link in the C's defense - which he probably is. He needs to make shots when he has his chances - I think he only took one 3 last night and missed it.

You can definitely make the argument that he should have been playing more last night - though White stepped up nicely and that may have had something to do with it.

He might technically be a weak link due to size but he can also be a pest to their shooters. Can slip around those moving screens and stay under the shooters. So there's a tradeoff.

If Smart isn't right physically then what are we really losing anyways? So much of the game is speed and energy, and Marcus didn't have it last night.

« Reply #1402 on: May 28, 2022, 08:27:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He might technically be a weak link due to size but he can also be a pest to their shooters. Can slip around those moving screens and stay under the shooters. So there's a tradeoff.

If Smart isn't right physically then what are we really losing anyways? So much of the game is speed and energy, and Marcus didn't have it last night.
Yeah, Marcus was as much a liability on defence through his blown coverages and physical hinderances as he was the DPOY with some fouls drawn and a couple of steals.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1403 on: May 28, 2022, 08:28:17 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Any Marcus smart slander will not be tolerated. Because everyone criticizing him was crying for him to be on the floor the games he has missed.

So just stop. It’s freaking pathetic.

but he deserves the criticism for his play tonight; he was abysmal on both ends of the floor.

the problem with this team is their ceiling is incredibly high but their floor hasn’t been raised and is still too low to be contenders. you can’t be in contention if your bad games are atrocious on a semi-regular basis. it’s a maturity issue that has plagued this team for years and it’s true of every starter, particularly jt, jb, and marcus.

Yeah, I think you're right that the floor is really the issue, not the ceiling. We just don't play smart, confident basketball all that consistently, and a lot of times when we get punched in the mouth in games we let it heavily affect us. I wonder how much of that is due to our two best players being so young.

I see it as a function of their games rather than their age / maturity ... meaning ... both guys are more scorers than creators for others. Scorers tend to have less control over the flow of the game. The tempo of the game. Whereas a playmaker like say LeBron has far more control of the overall than a scorer like Kawhi Leonard or Kevin Durant.

Therefore, Tatum and Jaylen gotta rely more on their teammates to control tempo / flow of the game. This means the team needs a lot more guys on the same page so more opportunity for things to go wrong ... relative to a team led by a guy like LeBron who can individually control so much more of what happens around him than scorers like Tatum or Jaylen.

If they can improve with their decision making and ball movement we will be a true juggernaut. There's reason for optimism i think. A lot of their passes out of pressure come either a split second early or late.

Just need more experience and feel for the game. I think eventually it will click

« Reply #1404 on: May 29, 2022, 10:31:35 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Great response out of the timeout.  Jaylen playing with some balls.
Yup