Author Topic: Historic night by our "horrible" offensive player  (Read 3152 times)

Historic night by our "horrible" offensive player
« on: April 07, 2017, 10:52:27 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Seems like Smart has listened to the haters; he was on a mission to shut them up tonight and produced numbers that were never done before in nba history (7 assists, 6 steals, 5 threes and 2 blocks). People still forget he's 22 or so and still has a few years to reach his prime. I really hope he succeeds and I hope that other Celtics fans can wish well for him instead of bashing him 24/7
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Re: Historic night by our "horrible" offensive player
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 11:02:51 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
He had a great game. Unfortunately, this is his third year in the league and he still has no consistency with his shot. He brings a lot to the table, but one good shooting game, after so many awful ones, does not change my opinion. He need to be able to hit an open jumper, at the minimum, to be a complete player.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 11:03:42 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Cmon, almost everyone here has a soft spot for Marcus and I am no exception. If we were looking him from afar he would truly get crushed on CB. Even if he stole an ice cream from a 4 y/o kid, we would be like: "He has such a knack for steals."
He needed a good shooting night badly and I am glad he found it.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 11:13:58 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Cmon, almost everyone here has a soft spot for Marcus and I am no exception. If we were looking him from afar he would truly get crushed on CB. Even if he stole an ice cream from a 4 y/o kid, we would be like: "He has such a knack for steals."
A good shooting night is an understatement. He did something nobody ever did in the history of the nba. You guys are like "[dang] he finally shot 40%". Fans of other teams would be ecstatic with this while Celtics fans are treating it is long due lol
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 11:15:36 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
A good shooting night is an understatement. He did something nobody ever did in the history of the nba. You guys are like "[dang] he finally shot 40%". Fans of other teams would be ecstatic with this while Celtics fans are treating it is long due lol

What did he do that no one has ever done before?

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 12:05:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It's nice that it was a first in the NBA and it shows he had a complete game more or less but if you look at it as a whole, it's not something to be overly impressed with.  I can only guess the thing that made those stats unique were the 5 3-pointers.   when Horford has a good game, he puts up those kinds of numbers except maybe only 3 3-pointers. 

I love Smart and have been a staunch defenders against his "he sucks cuz his shooting sucks" detractors but even I'm at the point where as much as he brings to the table, he's got to be more consistent with his shooting (and I mean a higher percentage consistency, not consistently bad).  If he improves his finishing around the basket, gets a really solid game in the post and can develop consistency out to 20 feet at least, he'd be fantastic.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 12:13:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Seems like Smart has listened to the haters; he was on a mission to shut them up tonight and produced numbers that were never done before in nba history (7 assists, 6 steals, 5 threes and 2 blocks). People still forget he's 22 or so and still has a few years to reach his prime. I really hope he succeeds and I hope that other Celtics fans can wish well for him instead of bashing him 24/7
We played a horrible game and let Atlanta's starting backcourt average 20 ppg. Forgive me if I'm not particularly fascinated by the fact that the broken clock that is Marcus' shot finally showed the correct time.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Marcus is not a "horrible" offensive player in my opinion, but he could be the worst scorer in the league. Good games thrown in here and there dont change that.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Exactly...

Although he is the kind of player i want in my team i can't argue that so far he hasn't shown he can actually help offensively. I am not saying won't ever but so far he doesn't look like he will. He had one truly good (maybe great) game... So what ? I m pretty sure he had at least one bad or even very bad game defensively Does this mean he sucks on D ??

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 01:53:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We played a horrible game and let Atlanta's starting backcourt average 20 ppg. Forgive me if I'm not particularly fascinated by the fact that the broken clock that is Marcus' shot finally showed the correct time.

I have to say Koz, that was pretty darn funny.  And accurate.

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 01:54:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm sure Marcus would agree that we lost, so his stats that game mean nothing

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 03:57:41 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

He's still shooting 36%. He's actually shooting a lower percentage than he did his rookie year. At some point there was to be /some/ sign of improvement. At this point, it's looking like his shot is a  lost cause. Too bad. If had a reasonable shot, he'd be a legitimately great player.

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 04:13:24 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
While watching that horror show last night, I thought to myself---we'd win this game if we had 5 Marcus Smarts out there.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 04:20:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Good one for Smart but it still in a losing efgort by the whole team. I just wish it was more than two guys a night having a good game. Too little too often from everyone with the exception of IT. We need guys to be better.

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I am a massive Smart supporter and apologist, but I think his off-season focus needs to be to get into better shape. His weight helps him defend bigger players, but I think some of his issues relate to the fact that he's just too [dang] heavy.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com