Author Topic: "We DO/DON'T Want Allen Iverson" Thread (merged)  (Read 103792 times)

Re: "We DO/DON'T Want Allen Iverson" Thread (merged)
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2009, 10:38:06 AM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
I just want to say , I Love AI as a player but I really don't think he fits with this squad. Chemistry won't be there. I was 100% rooting for AI to be in green when the rumor first surfaced before the Big three era began but now I don't see it working out. AI is still a superstar in this league and I'm practically still in awe about the amount of disrespect he's been given as a player of his caliber. Especially in MEMPHIS, THE Grizzlies absolutely suck, I don't care how you try to slice it, Having Conley start over AI and get majority of minutes was a crime. I Still can't believe Majority of "experts" and haters were on the grizzlies side on this one. Still in utter amazement of the amount of ignorance. Anyhow back to the point. He wouldn't fit here. GREAT PLAYER and can realistically still put up 25ppg. Personally I think his best bet (maybe not to get a ring, but to restore his personal career) would be to sign with Charlotte or the Warriors. I truly Feel Larry brown or Nelson will let AI shine and bring excitement to an otherwise Boring franchise such as those. So my vote. NO for AI in Green but YES AI still an excellent player who'll be a plus for whatever non-contending team willing to sign him.

« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2009, 10:43:17 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
This whole thread is some of the most entertaining reading on CelticsBlog in a while. That doesn't mean that it was always the most intelligent, but it was fun.

I agree.

I suppose that everyone here can agree on one thing...Allen Iverson is definitely a Lightning Rod of interest. I don't believe the NBA has seen last of him, though.

I have only been a Celtics Blogger since Oct09. I can only imagine how this place will be when the Laker Show comes to town in a few months.

I wonder what Artest will have up his sleeves for us? I have always liked Ron Ron's game, but I believe he will try to do something off the wall for Pierce to try to get in his head...but alas this is probably for another thread in near future.

« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2009, 10:52:14 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd like to see AI and Starbury in a reality TV series.

What if Delonte West does something crazy again and the Cavs panic and sign AI to be a potential replacement/insurance for West?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2009, 10:58:41 AM »

Kiorrik

What if Delonte West does something crazy again and the Cavs panic and sign AI to be a potential replacement/insurance for West?
Then we sit back, and watch it all unravel.

« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2009, 10:59:32 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I just want to say , I Love AI as a player but I really don't think he fits with this squad. Chemistry won't be there. I was 100% rooting for AI to be in green when the rumor first surfaced before the Big three era began but now I don't see it working out. AI is still a superstar in this league and I'm practically still in awe about the amount of disrespect he's been given as a player of his caliber. Especially in MEMPHIS, THE Grizzlies absolutely suck, I don't care how you try to slice it, Having Conley start over AI and get majority of minutes was a crime. I Still can't believe Majority of "experts" and haters were on the grizzlies side on this one. Still in utter amazement of the amount of ignorance. Anyhow back to the point. He wouldn't fit here. GREAT PLAYER and can realistically still put up 25ppg. Personally I think his best bet (maybe not to get a ring, but to restore his personal career) would be to sign with Charlotte or the Warriors. I truly Feel Larry brown or Nelson will let AI shine and bring excitement to an otherwise Boring franchise such as those. So my vote. NO for AI in Green but YES AI still an excellent player who'll be a plus for whatever non-contending team willing to sign him.

It's AI's fault for not listening when offered the contract to come off the bench.  The starting backcourt of the future was going to get the major minutes.

« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Then we sit back, and watch it all unravel.

Would it be more fun to watch Iverson cause the Cavs to implode or to blow up the Lakers?  Yeah, we hate LA more, but Shaq and LeBron might make AI to Cleveland a more entertaining train-wreck.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2009, 11:09:44 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

A person could hope....It'd be much more fun to watch the messiah's team implode and a lot more reEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.l for our players if we didn't have to eliminate them themselves.  What a circus that would be...Mixing the wackiness of Delonte with the insatiable egos of the messiah, O'Neal, and the most overrated and selfish player in NBA history.

And I do think Doc Rivers could manage Iverson as well. Whatever Doc's shortcomings as a coach might be, he's a great manager of personalities. But I'd stop short of saying I want Iverson on the Celtics without knowing exactly what's going on in that locker room and in Iverson's head.

?????  Ainge had to idiotproof the team so Rivers could manage it at all.  Gary Payton?  Ricky Davis?  Mark Blount?  Marcus Banks?  Wally?  He had trouble with Raef Lafrenz for petes sake.  You think Rivers could manage somebody who's an overt coach killer?  You think Rivers could get this idiot, who hasn't played defense at all since he pretended to for Larry Brown, to defend for him?

Wow.

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Plus the Grizzlies would not be a better team even in the short term with AI starting.  That would be one of the most defenseless ballhogging groups in nba history.  
In addition, he didn't give himself any time to try to win the starting spot.  And no, it shouldn't have just been given to him- he was in the process of coming back from an injury.  He played 3 games and quit before he could even be evaluated.

« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2009, 11:14:11 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

A person could hope....It'd be much more fun to watch the messiah's team implode and a lot more reEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.l for our players if we didn't have to eliminate them themselves.  What a circus that would be...Mixing the wackiness of Delonte with the insatiable egos of the messiah, O'Neal, and the most overrated and selfish player in NBA history.

And I do think Doc Rivers could manage Iverson as well. Whatever Doc's shortcomings as a coach might be, he's a great manager of personalities. But I'd stop short of saying I want Iverson on the Celtics without knowing exactly what's going on in that locker room and in Iverson's head.

?????  Ainge had to idiotproof the team so Rivers could manage it at all.  Gary Payton?  Ricky Davis?  Mark Blount?  Marcus Banks?  Wally?  He had trouble with Raef Lafrenz for petes sake.  You think Rivers could manage somebody who's an overt coach killer?  You think Rivers could get this idiot, who hasn't played defense at all since he pretended to for Larry Brown, to defend for him?

Wow.
haha, i like your posts.  Plus he stopped even pretending years ago.  He usually just finds a pick to gently run into and stop.

« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2009, 11:20:59 AM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens

It's AI's fault for not listening when offered the contract to come off the bench.  The starting backcourt of the future was going to get the major minutes.

I don't believe that at all. Don't ask me why ,well I mostly base this belief from the interviews AI did once he decided to sign with Memphis. I personally believe he was lead to believe by the Owners that #1 he'd be given major minutes and will be given a platform to shine. On numerous occasions he stated how he was going to prove doubters wrong (that he still had what it takes to carry a nba team) and do his thing. #2 That memphis was serious about doing what it took to become winners. Not "rebuilding". Initially signs such as signing a vet (randolph) that maybe they finally see the light (as did the celtics) that you sign proven vets and match them with great young players and that's how you build a winner. I don't believe for ONE SECOND he was told or lead to believe that he was there to "babysit" or serve as a mentor for the young puppies. That's where the problem emerged, I think the Grizzlies ownership used AI just to sell tickets and tricked him to signing with the bait that he'd be given an opportunity as was in philly , for him to carry a team on his back. but on the flip side....let me ask you this , Lets say you were Kevin Garnett, Lets say KG's contract was up and he decided to go Sacremento. You honestly think there's justice in asking or assuming that KG should be on the bench playing sparringly behind Jason Thompson? So Thompson can "develop"? .... Please that's a downright insult. That's what the NBDL is for. to Develop players. Besides Conley has been starting for the Grizz for the last 2 seasons. I'm sorry , again not to seem like i'm on AI's jock but I still stand by my thoughts or beliefs that having AI play sparringly behind Freakin Mike Conley of all people was a flat out insult. No justification in that. it's not someone like rondo or some other young player where you can honestly say "this youngin will be a star one day" Conley is a servicable backup at best.  

« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2009, 11:33:50 AM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
edit - Just to many things that I would have to edit.  Do not use offensive words.  Do not adjust spellings with use of symbols to get around filters.  wdleehi
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:41:07 AM by wdleehi »

« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2009, 11:38:59 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
They already have Mayo, Randolph, and Gay in the starting lineup.  Adding a defenseless point guard trying to get 24pts per game wouldn't help them at all.  They need distributer and defender with this group, not another gunner.

« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2009, 11:39:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I don't believe that at all. Don't ask me why ,well I mostly base this belief from the interviews AI did once he decided to sign with Memphis. I personally believe he was lead to believe by the Owners that #1 he'd be given major minutes and will be given a platform to shine. On numerous occasions he stated how he was going to prove doubters wrong (that he still had what it takes to carry a nba team) and do his thing. #2 That memphis was serious about doing what it took to become winners. Not "rebuilding". Initially signs such as signing a vet (randolph) that maybe they finally see the light (as did the celtics) that you sign proven vets and match them with great young players and that's how you build a winner. I don't believe for ONE SECOND he was told or lead to believe that he was there to "babysit" or serve as a mentor for the young puppies. That's where the problem emerged, I think the Grizzlies ownership used AI just to sell tickets and tricked him to signing with the bait that he'd be given an opportunity as was in philly , for him to carry a team on his back. but on the flip side....let me ask you this , Lets say you were Kevin Garnett, Lets say KG's contract was up and he decided to go Sacremento. You honestly think there's justice in asking or assuming that KG should be on the bench playing sparringly behind Jason Thompson? So Thompson can "develop"? .... Please that's a downright insult. That's what the NBDL is for. to Develop players. Besides Conley has been starting for the Grizz for the last 2 seasons. I'm sorry , again not to seem like i'm on AI's jock but I still stand by my thoughts or beliefs that having AI play sparringly behind Freakin Mike Conley of all people was a flat out insult. No justification in that. it's not someone like rondo or some other young player where you can honestly say "this youngin will be a star one day" Conley is a servicable backup at best.  

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4457772

At Heisley's behest, Memphis has been pursuing Iverson since July, ignoring concerns about his willingness to accept a reserve role

Asked specifically about Iverson's well-known aversion to coming off the bench, Wallace said: "He indicated to us that he just wants to come in and help a team out, to get better, to win, and he'll shine during that process. I think Allen Iverson is going to be very fine with whatever role he would end up fulfilling here in Memphis. … He knows where we're coming from, we know where he's coming from and I think if he comes here it's going to be a very productive marriage."

Funniest quote  
"I would lead by example," Iverson wrote.

And lets compare AI to play more easily to compare with, Wallace.

Wallace went to a good team and readly accepted a backup role for the chance to win again.

AI found the worst team he could in hopes of hanging another year of stats.  

Wallace has embraced the ways of the team he joined.

AI quit after three games.

Now, having watch him, seems closer to how KG would act if faced with this type of situation?  (you know, after he and the other two star sacrificed personal stats for the chance to be a champ)

« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2009, 11:40:30 AM »

Kiorrik

You guys show some real creative use (and non-use) of the enter/return key.

Very impressive!

« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2009, 11:43:17 AM »

Kiorrik

wdleehi
At first, I was like: what the hell - did that person just hit some random keys after typing something so serious? Then I noticed your name, and now I'm here, writing to you; sorry for thinking your name is ... slightly confusing.

.edit: alright, enough with my offtopic posting.