Author Topic: What draft/lottery picks could we potentially acquire by blowing it up?  (Read 2336 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Im not a fan of blowing things up at the moment, but reading many of the panic/cliff jumping threads that have popped up after Docs trade tirade and our mini losing streak has got me wondering what kind of picks we could get  with our stars and younger potential stars.

Danny's a fan of rebuilding through  middle draft steals and building their value up.
It would be interesting  to see  what picks we could get if we went into armageddon mode and moved Pierce, Rondo, Bradley, Sully,Lee,Terry, Bass etc and took on horrible deals and subsequent lottery high picks.
Obviously we could also keep Sully, Melo and Bradley and let them pad their stats for 2-3 seasons and move them too.

I wonder if Danny would consider moving everything we have for 2 lottery picks and a few middle first rounders?
Keep KG around as a mentor/assistant and let Doc start fresh with some young blood?

What exactly could we land for Rondo and Pierce (and the rest too)?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: What draft/lottery picks could we potentially acquire by blowing it up?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:49:54 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
people dont appreciate greatness. We have 3 all-stars on this team, and one rookie who will be in the rookie all star game. This is a good team and would be stupid to throw it all away for some draft picks.

anyways... noone good in this upcoming draft. charlotte is trying to trade their lottery pick desperately because its worthless. Cody zeller will be a bust, and nerlens noel will be a defensive role player because he isnt the best on offense. everyone else sucks in the lottery.

the next big draft could be the 2014 draft which could have shabazz, parker, wiggins, johnson, towns jr., the harrison twins, etc. thats 7 potential future all stars alone off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:03:17 AM by lightspeed5 »

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:02:03 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Another point to keep in mind is that the teams who would be most interested in KG or pierce are those teams close to making a deep run in the playoffs. That means their draft choices will be in the 20+ range, not the place to snare all stars in general.

Ainge has  been able to get good players on occasion in that range, but he also has a number of so-so to bad players from that range. So it would be a very very high risk gamble I think.

At best, trading top Celtic players who are old will produce picks that could be packaged in a trade for a star later on. Again, very very high risk gamble.

All in all this is an iffy rebuild approach, at best. I think ainge will adopt a different approach to tradin away the team now.

I don't see much sense in making such trades this year. The celtics will have to reset the team soon enough. So take your final chance at a championship this year. Starting the rebuild one year early doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, especially since this year's draft does not look good.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 08:23:34 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
with everyone except PP on a 3-year (or more) deal, I think this is the team we'll be seeing at least through next year with the exception of a possible small trade (1-2 role players being exchanged).

I don't think blowing it up is the way to go at the moment since the next draft isn't very talented or deep so we'd have rid ourselves of talented players for draft picks that figure to be at best, mediocre starters and most likely serviceable role players in the future. 

If Danny were to load up on future picks, he'd have to request those picks for later years hoping that the talent will be much better, the picks have less value to those teams since they're future drafts and that those teams will have worse records at that point thereby making the picks higher.

If he did that, I still don't see him keeping any high picks since he's previously traded away all the high picks he had.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 08:45:39 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
people dont appreciate greatness. We have 3 all-stars on this team, and one rookie who will be in the rookie all star game. This is a good team and would be stupid to throw it all away for some draft picks.

anyways... noone good in this upcoming draft. charlotte is trying to trade their lottery pick desperately because its worthless. Cody zeller will be a bust, and nerlens noel will be a defensive role player because he isnt the best on offense. everyone else sucks in the lottery.

the next big draft could be the 2014 draft which could have shabazz, parker, wiggins, johnson, towns jr., the harrison twins, etc. thats 7 potential future all stars alone off the top of my head.

Yeah I agree. One, since our greatness in the talent department is probably not valued across the league as much as we value it, we wouldnt be able to obtain very high draft picsk anyway. Two, this years draft doesnt look very promising. We ae much better off with the great talent we have.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 08:57:23 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Lottery picks are not a sure sign of success , probally more times than  than not its a huge fail...look at the Bobcats.

Danny should /will take a more methodical approach to rebuilding .

Seems to be attitude and effort issue with several players. I think DA will address this eventually.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 09:25:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Lottery picks are not a sure sign of success , probally more times than  than not its a huge fail...look at the Bobcats.

Seems to be attitude and effort issue with several players. I think DA will address this eventually.
The Bobcats aren't the best example to use because they haven't really had high picks.

2012 - 2 - MKG
2011 - 9 - Walker
2010 - no first rounder
2009 - 12 - Henderson
2008 - 9 - Augustin
2007 - 8 - Wright

Now obviously they missed on some of those and it is clearly too early to tell with MKG, but generally you don't get franchise type players from the position (aside from 2) that Charlotte has been drafting in. 

That is the problem with Rondo in my opinion, he is too good to keep Boston from being truly bad, but not good enough to be one of those gold medal type superstar franchise players.  Boston either needs to move Rondo and start over or figure out a way to get 2 or 3 all star level players next to him in his prime (Pierce and Garnett do not count as they are clearly on the downside and aren't the players they were even a year ago, esp. Pierce).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:37:15 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The Bobcats aren't the best example to use because they haven't really had high picks.

2012 - 2 - MKG
2011 - 9 - Walker
2010 - no first rounder
2009 - 12 - Henderson
2008 - 9 - Augustin
2007 - 8 - Wright

Now obviously they missed on some of those and it is clearly too early to tell with MKG, but generally you don't get franchise type players from the position (aside from 2) that Charlotte has been drafting in. 

That is the problem with Rondo in my opinion, he is too good to keep Boston from being truly bad, but not good enough to be one of those gold medal type superstar franchise players.  Boston either needs to move Rondo and start over or figure out a way to get 2 or 3 all star level players next to him in his prime (Pierce and Garnett do not count as they are clearly on the downside and aren't the players they were even a year ago, esp. Pierce).

Charlotte's probably a good example, too many people think all we need to do is suck for a few years and we'll end up with a franchise center. Or you could use the Bulls. How many top 5 picks did they have between Jordan leaving and last year? How many top 3 picks? How many years does it take the typical bad team to accumulate that many top draft picks?

How many times were the Kings in the lottery before and after their only brief spell as contenders since, what, the 60s? How long have the Clips been in existence, and how many high draft picks have they had? Because this year's team is probably the only team they've ever had was more likely to win a title than this year's Celts team.