Author Topic: RUMOR: Jayson Tatum "Would Not Mind" Being Face of Pelicans  (Read 3319 times)

RUMOR: Jayson Tatum "Would Not Mind" Being Face of Pelicans
« on: February 11, 2019, 10:16:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
https://hoopshype.com/2019/02/11/new-orleans-pelicans-jayson-tatum-trade-boston-celtics/

Not like we need it, but some more Anthony Davis trade fodder. If you don't feel like clicking on the link, here's the most interesting excerpt of the article. Again, note the word RUMOR in the title

Tim MacMahon spoke to Brian Windhorst about how Tatum feels about possible trade rumors (via ESPN):

“I was talking to about the Celtics the other day and they said the worst thing that happened to the Celtics was their success last season. Because now you’ve got Tatum, [Jaylen] Brown, [Terry] Rozier — these young guys are thinking dude, we went to Game 7 of the East Finals without you, Kyrie, without you, Hayward. We’re this level of player … This summer, they could be gone. They might up end in New Orleans [for Davis]. It’s gossip, but the gossip is Jayson Tatum wouldn’t mind if he’s shipped to New Orleans and has a chance to be the face of the franchise somewhere. Because he’s not going to get that opportunity in Boston, at least not in the immediate future.”

I also wonder too if these AD rumors are having a negative effect on the team. I mean obviously if we get Davis this summer, it wouldn't matter then. I am just worried about the team's psyche during the rest of the season, heading into the playoffs

Re: RUMOR: Jayson Tatum "Would Not Mind" Being Face of Pelicans
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 10:24:47 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
maybe we should just make tatum the face of the celtics

build around him

any other team would

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 10:31:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Maybe he should focus on playing defence, or shooting with efficiency similar to last season before he concerns himself with being the face of a franchise. Because if he doesn't address the genuine flaws in his game he never will be.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 10:31:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You read that first sentence and realize something is missing.

"I was talking to about the Celtics...and they said..."

So who was Windhorst talking to?

If the first sentence instead read:

"I was talking to LeBron and Rich Paul about the Celtics...."

How much credence do you give the rest of what Windhorst said if he tells you who he was talking to the Celtics about? How much credence do you give it if he says he was talking to LeBron and Rich Paul?

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 10:47:11 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
What do you want him to say?...there was nothing wrong with an answer like that specially if the question itself was leading like...

If you were traded to the Pelicans for AD, would you mind if you are treated as the face of the  franchise?

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 10:48:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What do you want him to say?...there was nothing wrong with an answer like that specially if the question itself was leading like...

If you were traded to the Pelicans for AD, would you mind if you are treated as the face of the  franchise?
What? There isn't even an indication of a question that would lead to this answer.

the gossip is Jayson Tatum wouldn’t mind if he’s shipped to New Orleans and has a chance to be the face of the franchise somewhere. Because he’s not going to get that opportunity in Boston, at least not in the immediate future.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 10:50:37 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
You read that first sentence and realize something is missing.

"I was talking to about the Celtics...and they said..."

So who was Windhorst talking to?

If the first sentence instead read:

"I was talking to LeBron and Rich Paul about the Celtics...."

How much credence do you give the rest of what Windhorst said if he tells you who he was talking to the Celtics about? How much credence do you give it if he says he was talking to LeBron and Rich Paul?

Agree that Windhorst probably doesn't have any inside knowledge about the C's.

That said, I think he's right here. Last year's success has made it really difficult for this team to gel, as this new guard/old guard split is pretty apparent. I'm sure both Tatum and Brown want to be the face of a franchise, even if it requires moving to a different team.

This was really the only concern I had this summer about this team. I think all the arguments about our players' playing styles not fitting together and/or us having "too much talent," as if there is such a thing, are nonsense. The real issue we have is that we're trying to blend lots of talent together between established vet talent and young, up-and-coming talent, which is a hard sell.

When you think about the recent teams that attained a bunch of top-end talent, e.g. 2008 Boston, 2010 Miami, 2014 Cleveland, 2016 Warriors, etc., none of them had the mix of young and old talent like we have, which I think is a really important distinction.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 10:52:12 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Looking forward to watching everyone who bought into Kyrie wanting to go to LA to play with Lebron last week come in here and claim this is is all a rumor we shouldn't believe.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 10:55:35 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
Good to see Wind Bag still trying to destabilize our team on behalf of his buddy LeBum.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 11:12:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Boston's problem is easy to fix. Just field two teams, one made up of the vets and the other the youths.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 11:37:21 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Dude you made it to the Eastern Conference Finals due to the east being weak as hell and LeBron carrying a bunch of misfits in the Cavs.

Ironically, it took a bad game from Rozier and Brown to lose to Jeff Green in Game 7.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 11:43:42 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
It really doesn't matter whether Tatum wants to be the face of another team or not. Tatum has no say in the matter.

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 11:44:27 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Good to see Wind Bag still trying to destabilize our team on behalf of his buddy LeBum.

That's all this is. Delete this thread. Windy is a mouthpiece for the Lakers along with Shellbourne. Next

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 12:19:03 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
The best thing this fanbase could do is completely ignore the press for the rest of the season, IMO.  Don’t even click this crap when you see it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:20:38 AM by Atzar »

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 12:20:07 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I’ve thought for quite some time now they should move Tatum to the bench and reinsert Hayward into the starting lineup. Then you can let Rozier/Brown/Tatum run wild jacking up shots like it’s the 2018 playoffs again. Let them run with vets like Baynes/Theis/Horford/Smart (guys who don’t need the ball) and everyone will be happy.

I think they are scared to move Tatum to the bench (he’s started every game of his career), so if there is a change it’s likely going to be Morris for either Hayward or Brown (who I like more as a reserve).

I don’t mind Morris being the stabilizer for the reserves, but I’m just tired of seeing Tatum force so many poor shots when the other guys move the ball well. They can go iso-crazy on each other off the bench.
CELTICS 2024