Author Topic: Dennis and Callahan on the Manny Situation  (Read 3123 times)

Dennis and Callahan on the Manny Situation
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:38:03 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I don't know about anybody else, but the Dennis and Callahan Coverage of the Manny situation has really p---ed me off to no end.  They continuously bring things up that have nothing to do with what is happening now.  If they were talking about him sitting out friday, taking 3 pitches against Rivera in yankee stadium, the comments from this past weekend I would not have a problem. 

Instead they continuously talk about him "Assaulting" Kevin Youkilis and not going to a veterans hospital, here are my problems with those two statements.  If either of them had ever played a sport in their lives they would know that those kinds of things do happen.  They happen at all levels, High School, College, and the Pros.  Kids on my Lacrosse teams in High School and College get into fights everyonce in a while, we break them up and move on.  Manny apologized and other reporters have said since the incident Youk has stopped throwing tantrums in the dugout after making outs.

The veterans hospital was a choice that Manny made.  I think it was the wrong choice sure, but we have no idea what he was doing that day, and again it was a choice.  And who are they to judge decisions others make after they have a history of making inappropriate comments on the radio and getting suspended.  Most recently the gay jokes they made about Jeff Garcia this morning. 

I just hope that most fans have a mind of their own and don't just listen to Jerry Callahan and assume hes right because he talks the loudest out of him his cohosts and whoever calls the station. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Dennis and Callahan on the Manny Situation
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:45:46 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Dennis & Callahan are notorious for beating a topic to death and then some.  Those two are there simply to try and stir things up and I'd say that it p---es off about 95% of the listeners.  Before this, they were beating to death the Clemens thing, Pats running up the score thing, and Vick.  Nothing new.

Funny that these two complain about Manny not showing up to work while under contract.  I seem to remember two radio personalities doing the same thing last summer while awaiting a new contract.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:48:35 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
A good rule of thumb is to do and think the exact opposite of whatever D&C do or think.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:50:13 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

The D & C rants on this site have been numerous over the past 18 months (a few of which I started!).  I for one stopped listening to them last year and get my morning sports fix from Mike & Mike on 890 AM.  I highly recommend the Mike & Mike show for anyone who's looking for some morning sports without neo-conservative blather mixed in.

the morning show on EEI is not going to change its approach, so it's up to you; either put up with the non sports related banter so that you can get some local sports or tune into 890 and put up with some conversation that isn't 100% Boston-centric.  I for one, think the second option is the better choice.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:57:38 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I don't like how D&C is talking about the Manny situation either.  They are talking in such absolutes, telling the fans what Manny is thinking, that Manny hates the fans and doesn't care about them, his teammates or anyone but himself.  They don't know what Manny is thinking or if any of this stuff they think about Manny is true, but they talk as if these things were told to them by Manny himself.  Just ridiculous! 

Personally, I put a lot of blame on management and Scott Boars for this fiasco (of course Manny is to blame as well). 

Even at the beginning of the season Manny wanted to remain a Red Sox, said that he and Ortiz will be a duo for many years and he wanted to retire a Red Sox.  I read in the Herald today (Rob Bradford) that Manny was told by the FO that they would sit down and meet with him at the beginning of the season and let him know what they plan to do with him, pick up his option, let him walk, etc.  That meeting was never held, which is why Manny brought up his contract and wanted to know what his future held. 

Then Theo gets upset about Manny discussing his contract and tells McCarver that he can say on national tv that he would trade Manny if Manny agrees (now in today's paper, Theo said he does not publicly discuss contracts ::)).  I think that Theo publicly saying he wanted to trade Manny and then then not believing him when he said his knee hurt, prompted Manny to say he was fed up and didn't want them to pick up his option.  Manny is fed up with hearing every year that Theo wants to get rid of him.

Of Course, Scott Boars also has a lot to do with Manny wanting a new deal because Boras doesn't get a dime if the Sox pick up Manny's options and he doesn't get a new deal.

BTW, I'm not excusing anything Manny has done, because he has done some things recently that really disappointed me, but I really am not as outraged as some that Manny pushed someone.  I mean, people were calling WEEI saying he committed a felony and should be arrested! LOL  How many people do you know get arrested and jailed for pushing someone. ::)  I now the guy was 64 years old, but he is an ex-cop described as a "tough guy."  Hardly a frail old 90 year old that some people were trying to portray him as.  And Manny described the guy as his friend.  How do we know that Manny didn't immediately feel bad, help the guy up and apologize?  No one is giving any details, just trying to paint Manny as some monster.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:59:44 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
A good rule of thumb is to do and think the exact opposite of whatever D&C do or think.

A better rule is not to waste one's time listening to them.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:02:08 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I dunno, where else would you hear on a regular basis that Global warming and climate change are 100% false.  I mean its really some one of a kind programming they have going on.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:02:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't listen to WEEI anymore. I did very quickly catch Manny's lockerroom rant on the station this weekend but that's because I was Looking for the Sox game when I switched it over to AM.

Other than that, not a bit for about 6 months. I couldn't take the Big Show having a bunch of blowhards screaming at each other, trying to make points, and making no points in the process.

The morning show is just horrible radio programming unless you are a Boston sports fan and lean as far right politically as George Bush and his Christian conservatives. Even then I think some of those people wouldn't enjoy the tasteless jokes and name calling that have become so prevalent on the show that management doesn't even bother to address the situation any longer.

And as a whole, heaven to bid you bring a different spin on the topic of discussion or an opposing view. You are instantly screamed over, made fun of, blown up by a sound effect, and then made fun of some more between the hosts taking callers.

It's unlistenable. I just throw in a CD when I'm in the car now or hook up the iPod to the stereo.

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 09:03:21 AM »

Offline mobanners

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
The Dennic & Callahan Show is absolute trash--the american equivalent of football hooligans. They and their ilk give fans of professional team sports a bad name.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 09:03:36 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

A better rule is not to waste one's time listening to them.

Touche.  I'm actually just going off of memory.  I haven't listened to them in about 2 years, but they're pretty predictable, so you don't even need to listen to the program to know what they're talking about.

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 09:03:58 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
I don't listen to WEEI anymore. I did very quickly catch Manny's lockerroom rant on the station this weekend but that's because I was Looking for the Sox game when I switched it over to AM.

Other than that, not a bit for about 6 months. I couldn't take the Big Show having a bunch of blowhards screaming at each other, trying to make points, and making no points in the process.

The morning show is just horrible radio programming unless you are a Boston sports fan and lean as far right politically as George Bush and his Christian conservatives. Even then I think some of those people wouldn't enjoy the tasteless jokes and name calling that have become so prevalent on the show that management doesn't even bother to address the situation any longer.

And as a whole, heaven to bid you bring a different spin on the topic of discussion or an opposing view. You are instantly screamed over, made fun of, blown up by a sound effect, and then made fun of some more between the hosts taking callers.

It's unlistenable. I just throw in a CD when I'm in the car now or hook up the iPod to the stereo.

Nick, we are all dying to know what tunes are on that CD or IPOD!!
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 09:21:37 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
that show is awful... I would love it if they gave Felgy/Sheppard the morning show. I don't know how great the guests would be because Felgy attacks all of them.