Author Topic: I need to make more money  (Read 14136 times)

Re: I need to make more money
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 11:30:27 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The CB Office:

Hey! Who snapped a picture of Edgar when he wasn't looking!?

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 11:32:07 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
A milkman and a garbage man were having a conversation about their businesses.

Milkman sighed,  "My business is dropping off."

Garbage Man smiled, "My business is picking up."
Yup

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 11:33:09 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
The CB Office:

Hey! Who snapped a picture of Edgar when he wasn't looking!?

If that was Edgar those would be hundred dollar bills!
Yup

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 11:47:15 AM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
If you are serious about money, you should spend your time creating spreadsheets of what things cost, best sale price, etc. This should include anything you might need for the rest of your life. The key about financial success is learning the value of things so you only spend the minimum. All your buying decisions can then be based value and you can buy on a yearly basis instead of when you "need" it. I spend half of what other people spend on food but eat better for example.
Also if you know the value of everything (and also know what you need now and the future) you can get great value at thrift shops, yards sales, etc..

A secondary exercise is to figure out which products are "value". Cheap often means poor quality. That is another reason the internet is valuable. You can find the depreciation. For example, a Jeep Wrangler holds it value whereas other vehicles don't.

All decisions should be analyzed. For instance I own a F150 4WD with a long bed with a cap. I bought it because I drive few miles so gas mileage isn't that important, the repair costs are minimal and it lasts a loooong time. I have to shovel little because of the 4 WD so I don't need a snowblower.With a mosquito net over the back and a full sized airmattress I can take some great vacations "cheat camping" because the state parks have great facilities with hot showers and flush toilets. The point of all of this, is that you can learn great financial lessons with the internet and some spreadsheets.

The internet is most useful when you use it to figure out "what is most important to me and what are the tradeoffs for costs". I used to have a very high paying job and spent a great deal to "exist". Now I have no job and spend very little to live a good life.

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 11:52:26 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
If you are serious about money, you should spend your time creating spreadsheets of what things cost, best sale price, etc. This should include anything you might need for the rest of your life. The key about financial success is learning the value of things so you only spend the minimum. All your buying decisions can then be based value and you can buy on a yearly basis instead of when you "need" it. I spend half of what other people spend on food but eat better for example.
Also if you know the value of everything (and also know what you need now and the future) you can get great value at thrift shops, yards sales, etc..

A secondary exercise is to figure out which products are "value". Cheap often means poor quality. That is another reason the internet is valuable. You can find the depreciation. For example, a Jeep Wrangler holds it value whereas other vehicles don't.

All decisions should be analyzed. For instance I own a F150 4WD with a long bed with a cap. I bought it because I drive few miles so gas mileage isn't that important, the repair costs are minimal and it lasts a loooong time. I have to shovel little because of the 4 WD so I don't need a snowblower.With a mosquito net over the back and a full sized airmattress I can take some great vacations "cheat camping" because the state parks have great facilities with hot showers and flush toilets. The point of all of this, is that you can learn great financial lessons with the internet and some spreadsheets.

The internet is most useful when you use it to figure out "what is most important to me and what are the tradeoffs for costs". I used to have a very high paying job and spent a great deal to "exist". Now I have no job and spend very little to live a good life.

TP for a well thought out reply. Do you have any template that you use for spreadsheets?

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 12:18:32 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
templates.
I don't use a template per se but I do have different excel spreadsheets for different types of decisions and data
i.e
1. food spreadsheet showing normal, sales, and best prices to allow for advance big buys. For example I bought over a years paper towels in advance because I could see big increase coming and saved a great deal of money.

2. Yearly budget which incorporated long term items. Example you won't buy a TV every year but over your lifetime the accumulation of refrigerators, TVs, washers,dryers, etc, etc are predictable to set aside a "medium range budget fund"

3.Long term analyis. It is relatively easily to create a yearly budget for when you are 80 in today's dollars and adjust for inflation.

4. Items to be bought in the future divided between throw-away (gym shorts, etc)
added (vehicles, saw blades,
 saw), and lifetime (needles, carbon steel knives, etc).Then you decide if you want to buy used at a yard sale or new if you know the cost of each type. (for instance, I never buy a new dryer but always buy a used). Old tools in good shape are better buys than new.

5.Misc expense tradeoffs. I know what the state parks cost versus a motel

6.finally do a spreadsheet on all major plans. For instance if you go to the west coast and fly into San Diego but stay minimum nights before a trip to LA, some airlines used to let it be a roundtrip. The rentacar company doesn't charge you a drop off charge. LA near Disneyland is MUCH MUCH cheaper than San Diego so stopping at the Wild Animal Park on the drive up can be much cheaper because you are sleeping outside of San Diego. The point of all of this is that you get to see the same things for much less money because you aren't paying additional charges.

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 12:27:45 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
IF you have any software experience you could compete in competitions at http://www.topcoder.com - they have QA, programming, and even graphic design competitions that pay prize money for winning and sometimes second or third place too.

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 12:29:34 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
another good way to make more money is to stay single.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 01:14:57 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

Not really sure where you "need" to be on this scale, but anywhere from bartending to getting your real estate licence are options.

Here are some - most likely - non options:

Win the lottery

Go to Vegas and win big

Give blood

Sell your neighbor's car

Sell your neighbor

Scalp tickets outside the Garden (Celts games only, Bruins games aren't sold out)
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 01:48:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Lol.  That means no dating, though, too. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 02:21:27 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

specially no traveling, no expensive gift giving and no sponsoring girlfriend friends
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 02:22:54 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

specially no traveling, no expensive gift giving and no sponsoring girlfriend friends

Wow, chivalry is alive and well over in El Salvador

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 02:24:46 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I think I'm going to reevaluate my budget and teach myself how to design web pages. Any suggestions on the latter? (aside from youtube and google)

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 02:53:46 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Real suggestions:

Donate your sperm

Donate your blood

Try out http://www.moola.com

Or try investigating where you can get paid to fill out online surveys.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 02:53:47 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I think I'm going to reevaluate my budget and teach myself how to design web pages. Any suggestions on the latter? (aside from youtube and google)

Scour the region for LP Records, CDs or DVDs to consign at my shop!  Seriously, it'd be entertaining.  I have a couple of yard sale junkies who do pretty well selling their stuff here, and they don't have to pay a lick of rent.  Not a full time gig by any means, but it's something.

Of course, I don't know where you live - might not make much sense if you're coming from Nebraska or something.  Then again, there's always the USPS for getting them here.

That's it you're HIRED!
Yup