Author Topic: Lowest finals viewership ever  (Read 7971 times)

Re: Lowest finals viewership ever
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2020, 10:52:50 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Think the BLM all over the court, players jerseys and kneeling at the anthem has a lot to do with it..I have slot of friends who say they never watch sports again when the kneel

You probably need a new group of friends.
So everyone needs friends whose values align with yours?

Wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

I don't think so considering how each side is tearing each other apart. If we actually just listen to one another maybe we can repair the rift that's been growing for years.

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2020, 12:49:17 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Think the BLM all over the court, players jerseys and kneeling at the anthem has a lot to do with it..I have slot of friends who say they never watch sports again when the kneel

I don't think so considering how each side is tearing each other apart. If we actually just listen to one another maybe we can repair the rift that's been growing for years.
I'm not sure it's that simple. You either bend the knee or be deemed a racist. It can't be that black or white. There's too much gray area people won't even consider. It's a lost cause for all to agree on so many different issues.

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2020, 01:10:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Wishful thinking....."YOU" above many people here Rondo9 - should know this.

I've PERSONALLY been listening to "The Other Side" ALL of my 51 years on God's Earth.

What I've seen unfortunately - is that no matter how much you try to describe your life experiences to some...no matter how much you break it down...some won't get it....some don't WANT to get it.

I personally blame the Political Atmosphere in this country right now - especially since 2016....among other things.

Human nature? Sin? Who knows?

Folks upset about Black Lives Matter? LOOOOL folks are STILL questioning the validity of MASK WEARING........................

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2020, 04:56:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
My enthusiasm for sport is at an all time low. I've been unable to get back into professional sport of any kind since they restarted. To state the bleeding obvious it's just not the same. Plastic fruit.
Crows fan?

That's a low blow mate! ;D Hahaha in seriousness that has nothing to do with it at all. I love Aussie Rules but I haven't been to an AFL match in more than 15 years. It's an over-governed, poorly run league and I have very little interest in it. I go to local SANFL/amateur league games on a weekly basis though. When I tell people I love footy but don't really care about the AFL most can't understand it at all. I get that.

We are very fortunate here in that our local football leagues were able to restart in June, had a few weeks of a 1000 people attendance limit but since then have largely returned to normal - with the obvious distancing changes etc.

Being in a relatively sparsely populated city has, for once, had some advantages this year. I certainly don't take it for granted, that's for sure.
Ha, no offence intended! I can definitely relate to that sentiment. Love my Collingwood, but despise the AFL. Think that somehow Gil is even worse than Andrew Demetriou was for the game.

Definitely prefer state leagues. Much more of an authentic experience. Sadly, in Melbourne, there hasn't been any of that this year
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2020, 05:38:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Are the finals still happening?

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2020, 05:44:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I mean it's gotta be one of the least competitive, least interesting Finals ever, right? Certainly in the last couple of decades.

I think that, plus all the newsworthy stuff going on right now, the variety of streaming entertainment options, and all of the other sporting events happening, means that only Lakers fans and absolutely hardcore NBA fans are watching at this point.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2020, 06:36:57 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I mean it's gotta be one of the least competitive, least interesting Finals ever, right? Certainly in the last couple of decades.

I think that, plus all the newsworthy stuff going on right now, the variety of streaming entertainment options, and all of the other sporting events happening, means that only Lakers fans and absolutely hardcore NBA fans are watching at this point.
I've seen some handy of Laker fan not watching it because of Lebron and some political stuff.

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2020, 07:11:50 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I'm not watching at all...but I'm guessing the Celtics would be giving the Lakers a lot more problems than Miami.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2020, 08:15:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I've seen some handy of Laker fan not watching it because of Lebron and some political stuff.

There are Lakers fans who have a problem with LeBron?

He took over the franchise, thereby cancelling out their awful management / ownership, and forced another franchise to trade the lakers a top 5 player in his prime. What's not to like if you're a lakers fan?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2020, 09:11:42 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Looks like the nba got really worried about ratings so they changed the whistle this game.

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2020, 11:01:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Well it worked. If we get more games like today's game then I'm tuning in.

I love basketball and I don't ask for much to tune in, just a competitive matchup without obvious bias from the refs. Refs miss calls, I get it, but if they miss them both ways its ok.

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2020, 11:07:16 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

He took over the franchise, thereby cancelling out their awful management / ownership, and forced another franchise to trade the lakers a top 5 player in his prime. What's not to like if you're a lakers fan?
I don't exactly know them but I think they just stopped watching NBA altogether. I've seen some Celtic fans saying the same too.

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2020, 02:00:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I've seen Lakers fans who have, for a long time now, been of the opinion that LeBron wasn't worthy of carrying Kobe's bags. They had / are still having a real crisis of faith about it, lol.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2020, 08:42:43 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Have they ever played the Finals in such a crowded sports field?

NHL finals
MLB playoffs
College Football
and of course

NFL football.

Throw in the fact that most think Miami isn't going to have much of a chance to win the series and the Heat lack a more mainstream star....

The NBA really needed a Lakers/Celtics series.

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2020, 10:31:12 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

I've seen Lakers fans who have, for a long time now, been of the opinion that LeBron wasn't worthy of carrying Kobe's bags. They had / are still having a real crisis of faith about it, lol.
i have a friend who falls into this category

He thinks Kobe is DEFINITELY the second best of all time behind jordan
I trust Danny Ainge