Author Topic: Rask, Bergeron sign for 8 yrs each  (Read 5808 times)

Rask, Bergeron sign for 8 yrs each
« on: July 12, 2013, 12:26:40 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Bergeron for $52 million, Rask for $56 million.

For one, I am surprised that Rask costs more than Bergeron. Also, 8 yrs for Bergeron despite his concussion issues? Seems like a bit of a risk.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Re: Rask, Bergeron sign for 8 yrs each
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:28:24 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Goalies get paid, much like top pitchers in baseball.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Bergeron's concussion problem isn't a risk.  If he does have to cut it short because of concussions they can LTIR him and take his money off of the cap.  It's the same as Marc Savard. 

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:11:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
With Chara anchoring the defense, I guess the Bruins can remain competitive for years to come. I am very happy they retained these two!

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
8 years is too long for any player, but I guess that's the way of the world in today's NHL.

It's especially too long for Bergeron.  Both are great players, but it's impossible to say where they'll be in nearly a decade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
8 years is too long for any player, but I guess that's the way of the world in today's NHL.

It's especially too long for Bergeron.  Both are great players, but it's impossible to say where they'll be in nearly a decade.

This.

I'm actually *kind of* comfortable with Rask being signed for eight years because he is so young and can continue to get even better over the life of that contract. But you are right. You never know what could happen. Bergeron, on the other hand, does have a that concussion history. He is one of my favorite players (I really, really love watching Lucic, Bergeron, Chara, and the little ball of hate do what they do best), but a few more good hits and Bergeron may not be medically allowed to finish out that contract. I don't claim to know the implications of his contract if that happens; but on the surface, an eight-year contract against that backdrop is scary to me. 

That said, I am happy to see them both back and locked up. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:58:07 PM by Jon Niednagel »
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 02:52:25 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
While Chiarelli has obviously done a good job of bringing this franchise back to prominence, I just hate how quick he is to give out some of these big, longterm contracts.

Now, I have no problem with the Bergeron contract.  He is the heart and soul of the team, and will be the captain for years to come (once Chara is gone).  But the Tuuka one scares me.

Not only is (arguably) their top prospect a goalie, but how many times have we seen goalies flame out after a couple good years?  They are like relief pitchers.  They will have a couple good years, and then completely fall apart.  And in the B's system, I really think it makes goalies look better than they actually are.

I guess the hope is that they would be able to move Tuuka if they do want to bring up Subban.  But still, I am really afraid they are going to be stuck in a couple years. 

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 03:01:03 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
While Chiarelli has obviously done a good job of bringing this franchise back to prominence, I just hate how quick he is to give out some of these big, longterm contracts.

Now, I have no problem with the Bergeron contract.  He is the heart and soul of the team, and will be the captain for years to come (once Chara is gone).  But the Tuuka one scares me.

Not only is (arguably) their top prospect a goalie, but how many times have we seen goalies flame out after a couple good years?  They are like relief pitchers.  They will have a couple good years, and then completely fall apart.  And in the B's system, I really think it makes goalies look better than they actually are.

I guess the hope is that they would be able to move Tuuka if they do want to bring up Subban.  But still, I am really afraid they are going to be stuck in a couple years.

Goalies are a lot like relief pitchers in the regard you mention.  The gamble is that you end up with a Broduer or Roy.  I'm not saying Rask is, or isn't, that level of player, but if he does turn out to be that steady for the entire deal, you're likely in contention for the cup for years to come.