Author Topic: Greatest Sports Franchise in the World  (Read 10756 times)

Re: Greatest Sports Franchise in the World
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 10:12:51 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Funny that neither tennis nor golf are a top sport anywhere despite having such worldwide appeal (well, mostly).

And, I get it, soccer is the most popular sport in the world and I really do try to like it, but is there any doubt that basketball and American Football are clearly more entertaining? Like, I am sure I am biased being from the States, but I had pretty equal access to all sports growing up and I can't understand soccer's wild popularity. If the field were like half the size with more scoring and actual contact/action, perhaps it would make a lot more sense to me.

As for the OP's question, I will take people's word for it on soccer. I will go with Yankees for baseball, Celtics for basketball, Patriots for football, and let's polish it off with Tiger for golf (because nobody has even remotely touched his level of popularity since).
Yep, you said it yourself. You are biased. No worries though. We all are! 8) Personally speaking, I have pretty much no idea how American football works. No idea whatsoever about baseball, hockey, cricket etc. I've played mini golf once when I was a kid and that's about it. So basically no idea about golf either. Love basketball though, cause it's the second most popular sport in my country. The way I see it, soccer is for sure the most entertaining sport. Not even close. I grew up playing the sport and I love it. In fact, I still play soccer 1-2 times a week. Never played most of the other sports, so that's the number one sport for me! I bet this is how it works for most people.

Having said that, I guess there is a reason soccer is the most popular sport in so many countries. Everyone can play soccer. Tall/short/quick/slow/skinny/strong/whatever, you can still play the sport at the highest possible level. Lionel Messi (arguably the best player in the world) is 5'7! At the same time Thibaut Courtois (the Belgian keeper, one of the best in the world) is 6'6. Soccer is primarily about skill. Roman Riquelme was slow as f@ck, yet he was considered one of the best players of his generation. There are literally numerous examples like these.

Love the fact that there can be a tie as well. It's easier for the weaker team to salvage something from the game.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:34:28 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 10:34:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
1. Celtics
2. Patriots
3. Red Sox
4. Everyone but the Lakers and the Yankees
Last.  Lakers and Yankees (tie)

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Who are these talking heads and what exactly are they saying?  I want links, quotes, names, etc. not just vague references to things.

For example, on July 4th Cowherd did his 10 biggest sports brands in America.  The Lakers were not #1.  https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/1014668894873612288?s=19  He went by brand which is different than great of course, but still Lakers didn't top it (and they are probably a bigger brand than greater franchise right now)

No vague reference here. It was mentioned today on Fox Radio I dont know the name of the talking head. It sounded like Jalen Rose, but I doubt that Jalen Rose would appear on the Fox channel so it may have been someone else.
so 1 random guy on Fox is all of sudden talking head continually talking about how great the Lakers are.  got it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 09:39:47 PM »

Offline colingwood33415

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 1
Depends on what you mean by “"greatest.” If it's the most successful in terms of championships, then the NY Yankees, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots, etc. But there can be other measures of greatness, like the Dodgers breaking the color barrier by signing Jackie Robinson. Or the classy way in which a small market team like the San Antonio Spurs not only wins championships, but from the coach on down comports itself with humility and professionalism. And of course if your question transcends US sports, then Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd., Bayern, would come into the mix. But if pressed, I would begrudgingly have to acknowledge the Yankees as the GOAT due to their legendary players, number of championships, market value, and fairly steady level of success for the past approximate hundred years.

I like to play golf and I play golf at a domestic level. I purchased the best golf irons at golf guide place and I think this is the best irons to play golf.

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 09:49:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bot game is strong today.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 09:50:47 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Celtics and Red Sox.

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 10:04:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know it's hockey and the NHL but the Canadiens 24 Stanley Cups in around 100 years is as dominant as the Yankees or any international football(soccer) team
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 12:00:30 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 10:22:00 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Locally speaking, I wonder which Boston team has the strongest ratings on TV.

I am sure the Pats are no.1

I wonder who comes in 2nd, 3rd and 4th between the Celts, Sox and Bruins.

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 10:31:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Who are these talking heads and what exactly are they saying?  I want links, quotes, names, etc. not just vague references to things.

For example, on July 4th Cowherd did his 10 biggest sports brands in America.  The Lakers were not #1.  https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/1014668894873612288?s=19  He went by brand which is different than great of course, but still Lakers didn't top it (and they are probably a bigger brand than greater franchise right now)

No vague reference here. It was mentioned today on Fox Radio I dont know the name of the talking head. It sounded like Jalen Rose, but I doubt that Jalen Rose would appear on the Fox channel so it may have been someone else.
so 1 random guy on Fox is all of sudden talking head continually talking about how great the Lakers are.  got it.
Man, is this seriously the point you're trying to push?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 10:45:43 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Locally speaking, I wonder which Boston team has the strongest ratings on TV.

I am sure the Pats are no.1

I wonder who comes in 2nd, 3rd and 4th between the Celts, Sox and Bruins.

In the US, maybe. Worldwide its undoubtedly the Celtics.

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 10:57:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 11:08:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Depends on what you mean by “"greatest.” If it's the most successful in terms of championships, then the NY Yankees, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots, etc. But there can be other measures of greatness, like the Dodgers breaking the color barrier by signing Jackie Robinson. Or the classy way in which a small market team like the San Antonio Spurs not only wins championships, but from the coach on down comports itself with humility and professionalism. And of course if your question transcends US sports, then Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd., Bayern, would come into the mix. But if pressed, I would begrudgingly have to acknowledge the Yankees as the GOAT due to their legendary players, number of championships, market value, and fairly steady level of success for the past approximate hundred years.

TP to you for bumping the thread..

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 11:30:29 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

Jalen Rose and Max Kellerman calling the Celtics the second most storied franchise in NBA history and Mark Stein writing the same thing.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 11:46:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Jalen Rose and Max Kellerman calling the Celtics the second most storied franchise in NBA history and Mark Stein writing the same thing.

Hey guys. You are responding to something Moranis wrote last July.

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 12:59:02 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
opinions please. I am tired of hearing the talking heads on Fox/Espn continually refer to the Lakers as the greatest sport's franchise in the world. If I had to choose I probably choose a soccer team followed by a baseball team, followed by a football team then the Celtics.

ManU/Arsenal/Real Madrid

Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox

Cowboys/Green Bay/Redskins.

Celtics/Lakers/Knicks

Sure my list is controversial..... what say you?
Arsenal??? Liverpool come ahead of them imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA