Author Topic: Is Stevens a system or star laden coach?  (Read 3286 times)

Re: Is Stevens a system or star laden coach?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2019, 10:35:46 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Let Kyrie walk. If this is his version of leadership I want nothing to do with it. This team doesn't like playing with Kyrie, plain and simple.

Where is that team that played in Philly.

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2019, 10:36:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The last few observations belong in the game thread, not here. Stay on topic

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2019, 04:03:38 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

I think it's relevant though. If you notice...Kyrie plays his own game outside the system and does great. The people playing within it either are under-utilized or just plain stink.

Big men are useless in this system unless they can pass and shoot the 3. Switching all over the floor means big men aren't able to box out, rebound, or be intimidators and change shots.

This team is not winning any championship trying to make everyone "equal".

The fact Kyrie doesn't do that should say alot.

I've said this before too...preaching to players they have to earn it, and then insert a player ahead of others without having done anything except sign a huge contract...is a HUGE breach of philosophy and trust.

They don't talk about it, but I'm pretty sure that was the beginning of the big disconnect.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:13:17 AM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2019, 04:09:43 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
Also, the triangle was just window dressing...the stars had free reign to what they feel was needed because they were that good and intelligent.

College coaches tend to try control everything to their own detriment.

Pros is nothing like college, and I have never ever watched college ball or care unless for prospects.

Bball is about reflexes, not conforming to a system just because.

The best systems allow for reactions when plays are broken, and plays are almost always broken because you're playing against pros who have seen what you're doing all their lives.

I don't think Brad gets any of that yet.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:26:37 AM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2019, 08:33:28 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Baby Popovich is a GREAT coach.

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2019, 08:55:52 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
Baby Popovich is a GREAT coach.

If you have 4 bigs capable of good rebounding, and a few swings that are also capable, and for the entire year continually get out rebounded even by lottery teams...you are not a good coach.

A good coach will know you cannot win without rebounding.

And the more I think about it, the less I like this system. If Danny was to go in another direction, I would be alright with that.

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2019, 09:48:36 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I think it's relevant though. If you notice...Kyrie plays his own game outside the system and does great. The people playing within it either are under-utilized or just plain stink.

Big men are useless in this system unless they can pass and shoot the 3. Switching all over the floor means big men aren't able to box out, rebound, or be intimidators and change shots.

I've said this before too...preaching to players they have to earn it, and then insert a player ahead of others without having done anything except sign a huge contract...is a HUGE breach of philosophy and trust.

They don't talk about it, but I'm pretty sure that was the beginning of the big disconnect.

I guess, but who really had the problem here? Morris? Brown and Tatum were already starting, while Smart and Rozier were guards and were used to coming off the bench. I don't see Baynes as a locker room drag so it could only be Morris. And, Hayward has proven WAY more over his career than Morris. It took Hayward a while longer to integrate than we all had hoped, but there was a reason he was given a huge contract and that's because he was an in-his-prime all-star when he signed with us. Those types have earned the right to work their way back.

Obviously it's the players' fault, but the fact that this team is unable to figure out their problems without Brad babysitting them every step of the way might be more on Ainge than Stevens (he could have made a small trade at some point). And that should drastically change this summer...for better or worse. We just need to get through this home stretch.

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2019, 10:05:19 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

I guess, but who really had the problem here? Morris? Brown and Tatum were already starting, while Smart and Rozier were guards and were used to coming off the bench. I don't see Baynes as a locker room drag so it could only be Morris. And, Hayward has proven WAY more over his career than Morris. It took Hayward a while longer to integrate than we all had hoped, but there was a reason he was given a huge contract and that's because he was an in-his-prime all-star when he signed with us. Those types have earned the right to work their way back.

Obviously it's the players' fault, but the fact that this team is unable to figure out their problems without Brad babysitting them every step of the way might be more on Ainge than Stevens (he could have made a small trade at some point). And that should drastically change this summer...for better or worse. We just need to get through this home stretch.

It doesn't even have to be a thing where players are mad about it. It's just something that sticks in the back of your mind and makes you not wanna run through a wall for your coach because his words mean nothing.

And all a coach really has is his word.

I'm still not getting on Hayward...I understand that situation, but Brad handled that extremely poorly.

This team has way more holes in it than the It, Bradly, Crowder teams...and it is WAY more talented.

I just think this is about as far as that system will go...50-58 wins...and hard fought wins but ultimately an exit because there's too many coaching flaws.

This team has too many talented players for these kind of problems.

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2019, 10:09:28 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
And seriously...Theis is real good, man. But he's too busy running around to even use his strengths, as well as the entire team.

It's just not gonna get it done.

I hope y'all see the similarity with Pitno :)

It is the exact same system except Pitino threw 2 people (trap) on everyone Everytime.

Switching just means 1 man. Same principle though, doomed to fail because everyone anticipates it.

And the same problems...no rebounding...except Pierce and Antoine were very good rebounders and kept them from being pitiful at it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:22:30 AM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2019, 10:54:08 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Brad as a college coach from Butler is much better coach getting "underdogs" to perform. Now that he has talent he hasnt been able to get those guys to play with any sense of urgency

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2019, 11:26:28 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
With Baynes….a very good team.

Without Baynes….not so much.

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2019, 11:26:39 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Well it's easier to get decent players to play good than it is for good players to play great or consistent.

Stevens has to live up to the expectations of the team. Hes too busy trying to appease Kyrie, appease the young guys, get Hayward ready.

This philosophy of small ball, 3 pt shots isn't going to work. He got schooled last night by Boylan taking away 3s. Opposing teams know the Celtics will not drive and only shot 6 FTs against the Bucks. Whatever they did in the Philly game, that's the formula

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2019, 11:32:22 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Not only does Steven's have no bite, but he has no bark either. Personality wise, he has NO Popovich in him at all.

Doc Rivers may not have been a basketball genius but he knew how to stimulate personalities. When Doc was p---ed at you, or if you disappointed him, you felt it...you knew it.   

Coaching in the NBA and coaching in college is much different. In college, you're teaching the players... they need you to take the next step. In the NBA it's much more about managing the personalities. You have to appeal to their pride. The season is very long, at times you have to kick some ass. If you yourself exhibit no passion, your team won't either.

This team plays well against the best in the league because they stimulate themselves, but when they play a team they should walk over it's the coach's job to light a fire under them or point a finger at a few players that didn't give 100% effort. Great coach's find whipping boys who can take the finger pointing and then ignite the team.     

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2019, 01:18:45 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Not only does Steven's have no bite, but he has no bark either. Personality wise, he has NO Popovich in him at all.

Doc Rivers may not have been a basketball genius but he knew how to stimulate personalities. When Doc was p---ed at you, or if you disappointed him, you felt it...you knew it.   

Coaching in the NBA and coaching in college is much different. In college, you're teaching the players... they need you to take the next step. In the NBA it's much more about managing the personalities. You have to appeal to their pride. The season is very long, at times you have to kick some ass. If you yourself exhibit no passion, your team won't either.

This team plays well against the best in the league because they stimulate themselves, but when they play a team they should walk over it's the coach's job to light a fire under them or point a finger at a few players that didn't give 100% effort. Great coach's find whipping boys who can take the finger pointing and then ignite the team.     

This!!!