Author Topic: "Mutual interest" between Celtics and FA J-Crossover  (Read 6122 times)

"Mutual interest" between Celtics and FA J-Crossover
« on: September 17, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2796176

'The Athletic's Jared Weiss reported there was "mutual interest" between the Boston Celtics and veteran free agent Jamal Crawford during his Celtics Beat podcast Sunday (h/t Nicholas Goss of NESN.com):

"There is mutual interest between the Celtics and Crawford. That I do know. The Celtics didn't make an offer to him. He's been kind of waiting for the right situation to materialize. That's why he's holding out to training camp, basically. He wants to be in a position to win a championship. He wants to sign on with one of these title teams."

Crawford, 38, averaged 10.3 points and 2.3 assists for the Minnesota Timberwolves last season, playing 20.7 minutes per game off the bench.'

Even with our 12 guards, I'd welcome the firepower. At 38 years old, I assume minutes aren't Crawford's biggest concern- so bring him in. I love insurance.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

Re: "Mutual interest" between Celtics and FA J-Crossover
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 02:07:23 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
He'll be great addition to our 3-point shooting.

Plus one of the best players for drawing fouls on a 3-point shot!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You think so?  I've always seen him as a pretty mediocre 3PT shooter.  Not a bad one, necessarily, just not a very good one, either.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 02:18:13 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
he can be our Sam Cassell in 08
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You think so?  I've always seen him as a pretty mediocre 3PT shooter.  Not a bad one, necessarily, just not a very good one, either.
Agree completely. He is very average three point shooter, just 33.1% last year which is below average. He also has always been a very inefficient scorer and a bad defensive player. But if he is taking the soon to be vacated 15th roster slot of Jabari Bird on a vet min contract, that's still a very good upgrade.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 03:12:06 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I’d like to see the 15th spot open around buyout season, but I suppose we could always get rid of Yabu in that case.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 03:14:33 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34

Agree completely. He is very average three point shooter, just 33.1% last year which is below average. He also has always been a very inefficient scorer and a bad defensive player. But if he is taking the soon to be vacated 15th roster slot of Jabari Bird on a vet min contract, that's still a very good upgrade.

I think his bad FG% has more to do with shot selection than it does actual shooting ability...  I don't think he's a bad shooter at all from watching him.. I just think he likes to take very bad shots a LOT.

If this weren't the 15th roster spot, I'd say no.... But if it's for the final roster spot, and someone that will come in during a blowout and allow the team to get buckets to maintain a lead, I'm all for it.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 03:18:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Jamal Crawford is a phenom who seems to just really enjoy playing the ol roundball. He's respected by anyone and everyone who even touches the sport and I think he'd be great on the C's, and good for our credibility entering next summer. When Amir Johnson says, "It's just different there, it's just better" it means one thing, when Jamal Crawford says it, it's canon.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I'm not so excited him signing here, i mean where is his role for being a (inefficient) scoring first guard with no defense? for the same reason i don't buy for the purpose of locker room veteranship, we already have that and i don't want young kids to look him up and think to play like him.

His playstyle is the opposite that we want, if Danny and Brad wanted him we would have offered him a deal

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 04:57:33 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
cant hurt.
better than bird/ yabu/ nader etc
its not a development year. vets on bench is good idea i think
i always liked him, be excited to have him.

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 04:59:58 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Just doesn't seem like we need him.

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 05:38:31 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
We can never have too much offense off the bench. A respected vet who can create his own shot and provide instant offense off the bench is always a plus. Think of him like GSW era Leandro Barbosa

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Would love to see Jamal Crawford on the Celtics, with his experience and instant offense.

Much rather him than Ainge singing all these guys I've never heard of like Wannamaker, Dozier, Curly Joe, etc.

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 05:46:06 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
We can never have too much offense off the bench. A respected vet who can create his own shot and provide instant offense off the bench is always a plus. Think of him like GSW era Leandro Barbosa

Ditto. Every championship caliber team needs someone like that. Think guys like Posey and Eddie House on the '08 Celtics.

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 05:55:15 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I feel like we don’t need him.  We don’t lack people who can create shots.  If he were an off-ball sniper then that would be one thing, but he’s not.  Throw in the fact that he might be the single worst defensive player in the league at this point in his career... and no thanks.