Author Topic: Was the NBA's concussion protocol ignored for Lebron James?  (Read 4368 times)

Re: Was the NBA's concussion protocol ignored for Lebron James?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 12:14:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
After Lebron returned, he didn't show any signs of a concussion, and he wasn't in the locker room all that long. Makes me think he wasn't concussed. He just took a hard shot and needed a second to shake it off

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 12:27:12 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
LeBron was asked after the game if he was tested for a concussion

He then Proceeds to say “I was tested for a bunch of things. I was good”

He never said yes or no to the question. They absolutely ignored the concussion protocol

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 12:30:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
After Lebron returned, he didn't show any signs of a concussion, and he wasn't in the locker room all that long. Makes me think he wasn't concussed. He just took a hard shot and needed a second to shake it off
he played different and not very well after he returned. We pulled away.

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 12:37:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

He never said yes or no to the question. They absolutely ignored the concussion protocol
This is some serious 1 + 1 = Apple logic here.

How does his non-answer indicate that the Cavs violated the protocol? Do you know what the protocol calls for?

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 12:39:14 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

How does his non-answer indicate that the Cavs violated the protocol? Do you know what the protocol calls for?
his answer was one of many data points in my belief that it was ignored. The glassy eyes, wobbly walk back, 5 minutes in locker room, poor play when he returned, ignoring use of word concussion during  post game conference, etc

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 12:39:27 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Yeah, this seems like a detail not worth analyzing, considering that you're not going to be able to run to the Commissioner and say that Lebron shouldn't be playing.

Lebron will play game 3, concussion or not. Celtics fans hoping that the league is going to step in and make him sit will be disappointed.

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
They probably did. Too much to lose at this point.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

his answer was one of many data points in my belief that it was ignored. The glassy eyes, wobbly walk back, 5 minutes in locker room, poor play when he returned, ignoring use of word concussion during  post game conference, etc
He played 20 minutes in the second half and put up 17 6 6 on .57 TS% with 2 TOs. Didn't move as much in transition or defense, but that's consistent with a strained neck

You already decided he had a concussion and thus they defacto violated it because he played in the second half. The fact that he was checked out and cleared is irrelevant to you I guess. Heck even if he develops one today (which happened to Horford after he finished a game) that's not a violation of the protocol.

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 01:03:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
he played different and not very well after he returned. We pulled away.
He played differently because he played at such an eite level in the entire 1st half that he couldn't maintain that level. If he mainrained the same level of play as he did in the 1st half he probably would have put up 60/18/25. Even in not playing as well as he was up until the injury, he still played great, its the rest of the team that sucked.

He simply showed zero signs of being concussed after returning. He produced at a high level. He never looked shaky or weak. He spoke normally during the press conference. I believe he wasn't concussed based on what I saw from him on the court, on the sidelines and after the game.

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 01:06:31 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
No. Concussion protocol means you are taken out of the game and checked for signs of concussion, he was. He didn't have any so he went back in. This is simple.

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 01:27:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Silver doesn’t have the basketballs to look into this. Clearly he should have been examined. Play by the rules. This series over if he was put into protocol.

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 01:29:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
No. Concussion protocol means you are taken out of the game and checked for signs of concussion, he was. He didn't have any so he went back in. This is simple.

You don’t know this. On what evidence?

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'm assuming they checked him when he went to the locker room and he didn't exhibit signs of it. They might not have formally admitted it though to avoid the Concussion Protocol during the next three days though.

LBJ isn't going to say anything either way, he'll play game 3.

If he exhibited no signs, then the only thing the protocol requires is checking him again the next day. If they checked him and found no symptoms, there's not really any reason not to say so (other than thinking that he won't pass today)

Yeah that's the point. Was he assessed for symptoms? Because there's a strong incentive for the organization and the player to just say "let's go with neck strain" or simply to not even conduct any exam knowing what it might discover.

What's the incentive for Lebron  ?

To play through a concussion? Making the finals.

To not play through a concussion? His long term health
I'm bitter.

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 02:23:51 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I'm assuming they checked him when he went to the locker room and he didn't exhibit signs of it. They might not have formally admitted it though to avoid the Concussion Protocol during the next three days though.

LBJ isn't going to say anything either way, he'll play game 3.

If he exhibited no signs, then the only thing the protocol requires is checking him again the next day. If they checked him and found no symptoms, there's not really any reason not to say so (other than thinking that he won't pass today)

Yeah that's the point. Was he assessed for symptoms? Because there's a strong incentive for the organization and the player to just say "let's go with neck strain" or simply to not even conduct any exam knowing what it might discover.

What's the incentive for Lebron  ?

To play through a concussion? Making the finals.

To not play through a concussion? His long term health

Lebron is smart, he knows he wont beat the Warriors, why sacrifice his health?

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 02:31:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
He seemed fine laughing and joking with Love at his presser.