Author Topic: Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown  (Read 1444 times)

Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown
« on: March 16, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Are lock down defenders Marcus has that core strength and disregard of pain that allows him to punish screen setters.He understands leverage -Did you see him move out Willie Caulie Stein. Jaylen still a kid and getting better and motivated at just right time of year.
i was going to end this here but had to add Jason with his wingspan even Kyrie can play defense when motivated but should cool it and wait for playoffs.Marcus Morris needs a break its been a long season and his shot has gone flat maybe tired legs and pressing.
Marcus has been using some Kyrie looking dribbling skills and used his left hand off glass ala Kyrie. His showmanship level is up but this also leads to some turnovers.
Where does Marcus now rank with improved shot selection and his higher three point percentage?Is this the move expected last year and put off with injuries.?

Re: Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 10:59:32 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The team is showing some flashes and a few guys have their roles. It's too bad Morris is slumping. He was a great three point outlet for Irving, Smart and Horford. I also like the dynamic of Hayward and Brown bench combo. I'm unsure if Rozier and Morris turn it around by playoffs but we need them to be more efficient and bring tough defense.

The whole team needs the attitude of tough aggressive D with a string system. We have depth to do it just need committed play. Defense should be the priority. Getting turnovers and rebounds lead to easy points for slumping guys.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 01:28:05 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Marcus was phenomenal nobody does what he does.He plays jaw dropping defense,and  his passing is catching up.Practicing with Kyrie is paying dividends for Smarts progression.
Not bad drafting Danny.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 01:45:34 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Marcus was phenomenal nobody does what he does.He plays jaw dropping defense,and  his passing is catching up.Practicing with Kyrie is paying dividends for Smarts progression.
Not bad drafting Danny.

I agree that Marcus makes jaw dropping defensive plays. I think its another matter to make great point guard scorers inefficient. That doesn't look as exciting, but its more important.

He's not as good at that for the same reason he's not a great dribble penetrator. He's a great athlete, but he doesn't have that first step burst that most of the better point guards in the league have. He can get lit up by the more talented points in this league. So does everyone else, but I think we give him more credit than he deserves, because he makes so many of those crazy "how did he do that?" type of defensive plays, mostly in the lane.

Jaylen is no where near as good with his hands, but he covers more perimeter space out there than anyone in the league, and he recovers very quickly. Clever dribbler/shooter types have a much harder time shaking him than Marcus.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 01:50:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I mentioned it in the game thread but in Brown and Smart the Celtics have the 2 best defensive 2 guard combination in the league. When both on the floor they can be devastating defensively on the wing and in the backcourt.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 02:04:06 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Rollie I am so glad smart has shown he has a shot this year. Brown is working on being a basketball player but he can drive and hits the open shot. Basketball plays the other way he needs help. Marcus is great value for us with his contract too. Hopefully the kings pick will hit the lottery.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 03:14:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I mentioned it in the game thread but in Brown and Smart the Celtics have the 2 best defensive 2 guard combination in the league. When both on the floor they can be devastating defensively on the wing and in the backcourt.

And yet all season long we repeatedly get burned by athletic scoring guards. I’m not disagreeing with you just pointing out the irony.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 04:12:46 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Everybody is getting torched Refs have altered the game with guards benefiting but if you look at the last few games and Jaylen has shut down a who's who of scorers when guarding them.

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 04:26:20 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I am not sure if you can call these two players "lock down." Perhaps, too general a statement.

Smart simply makes play after play game after game and his team mates are inspired by it.
Marcus blows his team mates minds again and again and they respond by playing harder.

He is a better player this year at both ends and it is a tribute to him that he didn't "just take his money."

Smart knows more about each opposing player in the NBA each day and he picks their pockets more than any other in the Eastern conference.

Brown has been playing as well as anyone on this team for 10 weeks now. His style has developed and his confidence in same shows against top opponents.

While calling for Steven's removal, fans should remind themselves that Brown's vast improvement this season relates to his benching. He has fought his way to playing at the end of games with the growth of his defense.

Smart has increased his slash offense and it makes the Celtics better.
Brown's choices going inside has improved dramatically.

Both players are more confident than last year and for the last month? The final two minutes of close games, Brown and Smart are wearing out their opponents at both ends of the court.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 04:32:11 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I get that Jaylen is getting a little more love from the coach and that he is finishing games.  But for a while now he's been playing both sides of the ball at a near all-star level (I do not think near all-star is an exaggeration) and averaging 27 mpg in March.  No reason I can think of that JB shouldn't be starting and getting 32-35 mpg -- especially when we all can recall that Marcus Morris' best and most consistent play came off the bench at the start of the year.  KI-Smart-Brown-Tatum-Horford.   A little on the small side but good defenders in the mix and offensive weapons abound.  Another option would be to start Brown at the 2 -- and Smart off the bench.  I wouldn't be opposed to a KI-Brown-Tatum-Horford-Baynes starting lineup either.   Bench with Smart, Morris and Hayward.... -- you'd have SWA and BWA!