Author Topic: Celtics should trade for Bamba while price is low  (Read 8990 times)

Re: Celtics should trade for Bamba while price is low
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2019, 03:47:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
How is trading Smart for Bamba getting Bamba while his price is low?

Yeah, I was thinking more like Kanter and a late 1st.

I mean, I guess the forgotten part about this deal is Fournier - he is putting up 20ppg on very good efficiency this season - but trading Smart for anybody except for guys like Luka, KAT, or Giannis (I am only exaggerating slightly) would have Cs fans storming the Garden fences.

Bamba potential is worth much more than Kanter and late 1st

Celts fans love Smart and Hayward and Tatum etc

But you cant keep them all. Its not just the money. There is a bottleneck

You should probably be wording your proposal more like: Smart/Langford for Fournier with Bamba thrown in rather than the other way around. Fournier is the clear prize in this deal as one of the big things the Cs could use on this roster is another scorer and Fournier is tearing it up. He is also just 27.

Don't get me wrong, if you broke it down as Smart for Fournier and Langford for Bamba, you would still be getting a lot of flack, but fewer people would be looking at this as a Smart for Bamba deal. I agree with others that RWIII is filling the void for athletic C with great potential; I am not sure acquiring Bamba is really going to solve anything.

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2019, 03:59:25 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
What is Robert Williams worth? Because Bamba is worth less than that. Look at their stat comparison so far this year.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Robert+Williams&player_id1_select=Robert+Williams&player_id1=williro04&y1=2020&player_id2_hint=Mohamed+Bamba&player_id2_select=Mohamed+Bamba&y2=2020&player_id2=bambamo01&idx=players

Williams with similar rebounding and points (on way better efficiency), more steals, similar blocks, way more assists, and way better offense and defensive ratings.

I'd say Williams is probably worth a mid-round to late round first.

You are absolutely correct that they have similar production, remarkably similar.  But Bamba is 7'-1" vs 6'-10".  Whether fair or not, those 3" are why Bamba was the #6 pick and Williams was the #27 pick and also why Bamba will continue to be a more intriguing prospect.  This is not necessarily warranted but it will continue to be the case for some time (until people sense a ceiling has been reached).

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2019, 04:00:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
How is trading Smart for Bamba getting Bamba while his price is low?

Yeah, I was thinking more like Kanter and a late 1st.

I mean, I guess the forgotten part about this deal is Fournier - he is putting up 20ppg on very good efficiency this season - but trading Smart for anybody except for guys like Luka, KAT, or Giannis (I am only exaggerating slightly) would have Cs fans storming the Garden fences.

Bamba potential is worth much more than Kanter and late 1st

Celts fans love Smart and Hayward and Tatum etc

But you cant keep them all. Its not just the money. There is a bottleneck

You should probably be wording your proposal more like: Smart/Langford for Fournier with Bamba thrown in rather than the other way around. Fournier is the clear prize in this deal as one of the big things the Cs could use on this roster is another scorer and Fournier is tearing it up. He is also just 27.

Don't get me wrong, if you broke it down as Smart for Fournier and Langford for Bamba, you would still be getting a lot of flack, but fewer people would be looking at this as a Smart for Bamba deal. I agree with others that RWIII is filling the void for athletic C with great potential; I am not sure acquiring Bamba is really going to solve anything.

Fournier is treated like leftover for some reason

The guy would be amazing off the bench

Also Bamba has more potential than timelord due to his ability to shoot

Highlight below
https://youtu.be/8gmbcl6WIB8

Lastly taller players usually take longer to develop. Bamba if he can put it all together.... that is a mesmerizing package

A legit 7'1 with 7'10 wingspan dude that has strength, length, athleticism, above rim and 3 point shooting

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2019, 05:15:15 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd be a little scared to trade someone like Smart for him, but it looks to me like Bamba will be a pretty good player someday.  His numbers have been trending up lately and the guy is hitting 3's at 39%.  There are no guarantees that Bamba will be better than Timelord but the ability to be a threat offensively from 3 is a pretty big deal when comparing the two.

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2019, 06:20:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Price is already too high folks again NBA LIVE trade thread completely and utterly unrealistic.

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2019, 08:01:57 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Cs don’t need more young guys or projects. They need a ready to play bet if they are going after a big man to help them win.

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2019, 10:07:08 PM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Totally agree on the notion of trying to acquire Bamba as a buy-low.  He's got DPOY potential with range from deep. 
His ceiling is Gobert with 3 point range - which if he reaches, would make him a bonafide unicorn. 

The Celtics were said to be heavily interested in him during the 2018 draft (source: https://www.slamonline.com/nba/report-celtics-interested-in-mo-bamba-could-move-up-in-draft/) I'd assume the price was too high for Ainge to bite.  There was a thread here which suggested a Brown for Bamba trade which most all would agree would be insane given Brown's current development arc.

I do think the Magic are aware of his potential.  Even in his limited minutes, the Magic have a team-best defensive rating with Bamba on the floor.  His development as a rookie was limited last season with Vucevic as the clear starter followed by the season-ending injury.  Bamba needs more minutes to develop which simply aren't there in his current environment.  Would love to see what he could do with CBS coaching him.

Again, I'd be all in if the Magic were to make him available at a reasonable price.  Langford + TimeLord and maybe a late 1st or 2nd rounder would seem fair.

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2019, 10:20:18 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I wouldn't trade Smart, he's a really good additive player on a teams with championship aspirations. I'd trade Langford and picks+prospects for Bamba though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2019, 08:46:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Totally agree on the notion of trying to acquire Bamba as a buy-low.  He's got DPOY potential with range from deep. 
His ceiling is Gobert with 3 point range - which if he reaches, would make him a bonafide unicorn. 

The Celtics were said to be heavily interested in him during the 2018 draft (source: https://www.slamonline.com/nba/report-celtics-interested-in-mo-bamba-could-move-up-in-draft/) I'd assume the price was too high for Ainge to bite.  There was a thread here which suggested a Brown for Bamba trade which most all would agree would be insane given Brown's current development arc.

I do think the Magic are aware of his potential.  Even in his limited minutes, the Magic have a team-best defensive rating with Bamba on the floor.  His development as a rookie was limited last season with Vucevic as the clear starter followed by the season-ending injury.  Bamba needs more minutes to develop which simply aren't there in his current environment.  Would love to see what he could do with CBS coaching him.

Again, I'd be all in if the Magic were to make him available at a reasonable price.  Langford + TimeLord and maybe a late 1st or 2nd rounder would seem fair.

nicely put

high ceiling

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2019, 08:53:45 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Would offer Memphis pick and Langford and filler for Bamba.

But not Smart.

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2019, 10:11:59 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

That's a horrible trade.

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2019, 10:14:13 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Who says that the price is low?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2019, 10:48:53 AM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
That's a horrible trade.

Very insightful post.  Assuming you think this is bad for the C's?  What would be a good offer in your view?

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2019, 11:04:01 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
That's a horrible trade.

Very insightful post.  Assuming you think this is bad for the C's?  What would be a good offer in your view?

What has Bamba shown to worth a starting player  like Smart?

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Would offer Memphis pick and Langford and filler for Bamba.

But not Smart.

Langford for Bamba and The Bucks pick would be a good trade. Miami needs ball handler play maker like Langford and they get an extra pick. It also works in the Trade machine.