Author Topic: The Entitled Celtics  (Read 1365 times)

The Entitled Celtics
« on: November 22, 2018, 04:08:35 AM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
The team plays without energy.
The team plays without cohesiveness.
the team often does not put in the effort on defense.

Why?

It appears that several of the younger players have become complacent. They read the clippings that they are favored to go to the finals. All they need to do is show up, right? The Celtics are supposed to win, right? Too many players feel that they are the stars of the show - when they step on the court.

Where is Stevens? The team remained intact, but the players attitude changed.

Tatum basking in the starlight of a tremendous rookie season, joined Club Wannabe Kobe - shoot first, no pass, and no defense.

Brown just looks lost most of the time. He has not shown any progression with his game this season, so far you can argue he shows regression.

Hayward is still figuring things out and should have been and should not be starting.

Smart tries, but still cannot hit a shot; and he has not recently shut down any of the hot guards.  But then again he got his $$$ this off-season one cannot expect the same effort.

Rozier is playing for a contract and is losing money money every time he steps on the court.

The team lacks a hierarchy. There needs to be clear roles for everyone when they step onto the court.  5 players standing around the arc will not win games.  You need pick setters, rebounders etc.

The Celtics are at the bottom of the league in FT attempts.  They rarely drive to the hoop.

I lay the blame at Stevens feet.  The preseason was lacking. The re-integration of Hayward has not worked out smoothly.  The young players have regressed.  Playing time to the younger players needs to be revisited - no intensity and production = no court time.

Starting 5: Baynes, Horford, Morris, Smart, Kyrie

Substitutions in the following order (@ 7 min) 1) Hayward for Smart 2) Theis for Baynes =  Kyrie, Hayward, Morris, Horford, Theis.

Next Sub (@ 2 min)- Smart, Tatum and Brown for Kyrie, Morris and Horford = Smart, Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Theis

Next Sub- (Start 2nd) Baynes for Theis = Smart, Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Baynes

Next Sub, (8 min) Horford for Baynes, Morris for Tatum, Kyrie for Brown. = Kyrie, Smart, Hayward, Morris, Horford.

Next Sub, (5 min) Tatum and/or Brown for Hayward and/or Smart= Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Morris, Horford
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 04:30:44 AM by bcgenuis »

Re: The Entitled Celtics
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 06:05:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we bought into our own hype without realizing that it was hard effort that got us there.   We played out tails off because we lost Hayward, we played our tails off because we lost Kyrie now they are back it is like ho hum, we are great, other teams are going to lay down and die.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 06:28:05 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I like the OP thoughts. I wouldn't mind seeing that lineup. It adds some toughness and vet leadership. Morris has earned it and Smart will add some defense to our backcourt.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 06:52:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I like the OP thoughts. I wouldn't mind seeing that lineup. It adds some toughness and vet leadership. Morris has earned it and Smart will add some defense to our backcourt.

It would be a surefire way to make Tatum walk in free agency...

Toughness might help us on D, which we are ranked highly at, but will it fix the shooting?   My guess is no.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:00:10 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 08:25:14 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I think Tatum has been fine the last few games. they said last night over the last 5 he is averaging 18ppg on 49% shooting.

I agree with the rest of the post though. The fact that they can put together a 40point quarter and play tough defense...shows they have the ability. But where was that team in the first quarter when they scored 18points and put themselves in a hole?? They do this CONSTANTLY.

its as if they think they can show up and win and only realize they need to play hard when down 20points. I also think that when they miss their first few shots they give up on the defensive end multiplying their issues.

I would hope being 9-9 would wake them up. But they continue to come out listless, get behind and THEN decide to play hard and try to come back

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 08:32:54 AM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston

Toughness might help us on D, which we are ranked highly at, but will it fix the shooting?   My guess is no.

You can’t run your team worrying if a player will walk in free agency. If the Celtics put Tatum on the block their might be this team down in New Orleans that could be interested. Remember Danny has no fear with trades.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 08:51:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Tatum won't be able to walk in FA for a long time though.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
You can’t run your team worrying if a player will walk in free agency. If the Celtics put Tatum on the block their might be this team down in New Orleans that could be interested. Remember Danny has no fear with trades.

I doubt he will panic and trade our second or third best player which Tatum is folks.   Ainge plays the long game.  Some players you absolutely run your team to suit them.   Do you think Red didn't listen to Russell, Ainge Paul Pierce or Jan Volk Larry Bird?   That is patently absurd.

Tatum won't be able to walk in FA for a long time though.

Very true, but it is ridiculous guys trying to blame this guy or that guy.   It is a team sport.

I live in Ohio, Diehard Celtics fans but people in Boston as Fans are what are entitled.   It's the city of Champions but sometimes you're team does not win.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 10:07:49 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
It will be awhile before Tatum can even think FA. LOL hes not going anywhere.

Hey, the Warriors have lost 4 straight. How is that for whataboutism and a distraction from our problems.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 08:25:33 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
Bump it up!

Looks like brass is reading! the Marcuses started.