Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 397280 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #375 on: November 03, 2019, 09:19:55 PM »

Offline estendius

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
Hmm. Dwight Howard, C's can go with him.

« Reply #376 on: November 03, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Are the Rockets going to blow it up? Down 30 to Miami in the first half...

Obviously it's really early into the season, but I feel as though their roster is definitely missing things.

Seeing as how the Rockets sent the Thunder two 1sts and two pick swaps (including one in 2021), I doubt they blow it up anytime soon. Those picks are way down the road ('24 and '26) - and only top 4 protected) so this was an all-in experiment. They have no choice but to give this a couple of years at least.

I guess they could always move Harden (they are stuck with Westbrook) for a star at another position, but that sounds a bit crazy to think about at this moment.
Ha, yeah, it was a little tongue-in-cheek. I don't know what they could do.

Will be interested in seeing if they try to keep Capela though.
Keep Capela?  He's under contract for 4 years.  Who are they going to trade him for that would give them a better shot at a championship?
Yeah, but his minutes are considerably lower than last year (and it's not like he's fouling excessively) - to the point where he hasn't even hit his MPG average of 2018-19 once this season. Seems like a bit of a [dang]ing statement regarding D'Antoni's trust in him.

I can't say what would be better, but seeming that they're about to be a .500 having lost to Brooklyn, Miami and Milwaukee, and with all their wins being less than 5 points (including conceding 158 to Washington in a 1 point win, and beating the lowly Pelicans), I can't say that they actually have any shot at a championship as it stands.
Their shot at a championship is poor health with the LA teams.  They also need to be on the opposite side of the bracket from them. 

D'Antoni is on the last year of his contract.  They got rid of several of his assistants after last season.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone before the end of the season. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 09:37:04 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #377 on: November 03, 2019, 09:37:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Obviously it's really early into the season, but I feel as though their roster is definitely missing things.

Seeing as how the Rockets sent the Thunder two 1sts and two pick swaps (including one in 2021), I doubt they blow it up anytime soon. Those picks are way down the road ('24 and '26) - and only top 4 protected) so this was an all-in experiment. They have no choice but to give this a couple of years at least.

I guess they could always move Harden (they are stuck with Westbrook) for a star at another position, but that sounds a bit crazy to think about at this moment.

Keep Capela?  He's under contract for 4 years.  Who are they going to trade him for that would give them a better shot at a championship?
Yeah, but his minutes are considerably lower than last year (and it's not like he's fouling excessively) - to the point where he hasn't even hit his MPG average of 2018-19 once this season. Seems like a bit of a [dang]ing statement regarding D'Antoni's trust in him.

I can't say what would be better, but seeming that they're about to be a .500 having lost to Brooklyn, Miami and Milwaukee, and with all their wins being less than 5 points (including conceding 158 to Washington in a 1 point win, and beating the lowly Pelicans), I can't say that they actually have any shot at a championship as it stands.
Their shot at a championship is poor health with the LA teams.  They also need to be on the opposite side of the bracket from them.
I think they'd be serviced by more depth, and a worse but similar guy to Capela. Someone who is purely a defensive rim-running big, like a McGee or Mitchell Robinson type (not guys I think are targets, but rather guys I think would be good for Houston). Their wing depth is pretty abysmal, seeing guys like McLemore, House and 35 year old Thabo getting key minutes.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #378 on: November 03, 2019, 10:16:32 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I think they'd be serviced by more depth, and a worse but similar guy to Capela. Someone who is purely a defensive rim-running big, like a McGee or Mitchell Robinson type (not guys I think are targets, but rather guys I think would be good for Houston). Their wing depth is pretty abysmal, seeing guys like McLemore, House and 35 year old Thabo getting key minutes.
There really aren't many rim runners that I think would make trading Capela for worthwhile, the closest thing I could think of is to trade him, Ben McLemore and salary filler to Sacramento for Dedmon and Ariza. I do think that they'll be fine after a few more games though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #379 on: November 03, 2019, 10:25:59 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

There really aren't many rim runners that I think would make trading Capela for worthwhile, the closest thing I could think of is to trade him, Ben McLemore and salary filler to Sacramento for Dedmon and Ariza. I do think that they'll be fine after a few more games though.
I don't think the Kings would want Capela and they definitely don't want McLemore back. 

« Reply #380 on: November 03, 2019, 10:30:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
It is a breath of fresh air not to have GSW's dominance hanging over a season.  Only think 4 teams have a serious shot at the championship but several more could given the right circumstances.  Might see more trades in season. 

« Reply #381 on: November 03, 2019, 10:37:55 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I don't think the Kings would want Capela and they definitely don't want McLemore back.
Yeah I don't think that the Kings want a trade like this, but the Rockets really don't have a lot of options.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #382 on: November 03, 2019, 10:47:36 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Yeah I don't think that the Kings want a trade like this, but the Rockets really don't have a lot of options.
They don't and it is only going to get worse for them.

« Reply #383 on: November 04, 2019, 08:17:31 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
BKN vs NOP looks like a street game. Both teams looks messy and unorganized.

« Reply #384 on: November 04, 2019, 08:27:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Can't believe they just called that a flagrant foul in Ingram. Jeez

« Reply #385 on: November 04, 2019, 10:07:58 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
BKN vs NOP looks like a street game. Both teams looks messy and unorganized.

I don't think KD coming back will instantly erase those flaws. They could be OKC 2.0 or even worse.

« Reply #386 on: November 04, 2019, 10:25:07 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
How about Isaiah Thomas with his first start of the year for the Wiz!

« Reply #387 on: November 04, 2019, 10:46:43 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
These refs are a joke. You get a whistle for boxing out now. lol

« Reply #388 on: November 04, 2019, 11:05:52 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Suns looking like they might be the team to hand Philly their 1st loss of the season.  Never would have believed that 2 weeks ago.

Also watching Horford and Baynes go at it right now is like watching this:

Just weird.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:20:40 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #389 on: November 04, 2019, 11:16:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Suns looking like they might be the team to hand Philly there 1st loss of the season.  Never would have believed that 2 weeks ago.

Also watching Horford and Baynes go at it right now is like watching this:

Just weird.
Go Suns!