Poll

Have you found the Recent Trade Ray Threads Funny?

Yes
17 (48.6%)
No, just not my humor
15 (42.9%)
No, the threads make fun of other members
1 (2.9%)
No, for a bit I thought they were real
0 (0%)
Other, see my comments below
2 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: (Poll) What's Funny & What's Not  (Read 12302 times)

Re: (Poll) What's Funny & What's Not
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 10:31:18 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Listen, i respect the fact that you are stating your point in a well thought out manner, thats legit and props for it.  But dont you all think that this has gone a little to far.  I mean we are all grownups here, if people really cant take some satire trades i think it may be more a case of people being too sensitive.  Again, all the respect in the world for stating your opinion, but dont you think there is another side to this??
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 10:57:56 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Well I've been around the site for a while and the moderators here have generally shown that they are very concerned with everyone getting along and feeling like they're a valued part of the community.  There have been hard decisions made by the staff in the past about topics and discussions that weren't helping to build community, so along those same lines, I thought I'd let them know my opinion and maybe a way to improve communication.

I do think that anytime you're dealing with the internet there needs to be mounds, piles and tonnes of salt with which to digest every and all opinions, but this is probably the most civil and welcoming web forum you'll find, and if it can be made moreso, then I thought I'd let someone know.

I didn't expect it to even be a public discussion.  Not that it bothers me that it is, but SSF wants to make sure that he's being a good steward of the site, so I think he should be commended for that.

I thought there could be an issue, and one obviously dedicated poster is at least concerned enough about the image he shows to the world to make sure that he and his intentions are fully understood.  I don't think that's a bad thing.

It's since been shown that it's a non-issue...so I'm not worried about it.  Wasn't to begin with actually.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 11:05:53 AM by Robb »
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 11:10:45 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I want to echo was SShoreFan said, and make clear that I appreciate Robb and others sharing their ideas.  I want to emphasize that even if I disagree with somebody's thoughts, or don't implement a suggestion, that doesn't mean that the opinion wasn't considered, or isn't appreciated.  Feedback is always a good thing.

I like the "joke" posts from time to time, because I worry that we take ourselves too seriously from time to time.  It's pretty well known that Celticsblog has some fairly strict rules (or rather, sensible rules that are strictly enforced).  However, we also want people to be able to joke around and have fun.  Crude or offensive humor obviously is not permitted, but the more gentle stuff is always nice.

I do understand where people could become offended by taking something the wrong way, and if we saw a biting "joke" aimed in a particular poster's direction, we'd take care of it.  However, a joke that reinforces the idea that "man, there sure are a lot of Ray Allen trade ideas on her" is fairly innocuous to me.

Also, on a related note (but slightly off-topic), I would like to address the issue of new posters.  I know that I, personally, try to welcome new members to the blog, and when I see somebody said something repetitive or something I disagree with, I often do check their post count / membership date, to ascertain whether they're new around here.  I agree that those "newbies" should be given some leeway.  On the other hand, when a new poster goes into a thread an posts "stupid trade idea" or the " ::)" smiley, it starts things off on the wrong foot with our membership.  I'd ask that everyone -- experienced posters and new posters alike -- to try to respect each other's ideas, and communicate accordingly.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 11:33:16 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
As long as there are no suggestions
that we trade for that Snake who wears
no. 24, it's all good fun to me.

I'll still use my "right to say no"
(or whatever you want to call it) to
a trade idea that's just plain bad (IMO).
It's not like we decide who gets traded
and that's probably a good thing  ;)

It's the offseason and most of us here
are still just riding the wave of that
17th Banner and we're being outright silly.
If someone was offended by something
that I wrote, I'm truly sorry.

To all new posters:
Welcome to CB, I hope you enjoy your
time here.

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 12:09:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I watched "The Future is Unwritten" last week, a documentary about Joe Strummer of The Clash (see my sig).  They talked a lot about how he liked to have campfires at this one spot with a random assortment of people.  They'd just shoot the poop, play music etc...  The point was the campfire was a safe place to gather round and express yourself.

I'm a pyro at heart, and have a fire pit in back yard so I can feed into the childhood pyro in me under the guise of a responsible adult.  The other night I had a great fire going and roasted some marshmallows with my two daughters (wife was working).  After the girls went to bed I had beer by the fire with my dog and my cat near by - great conversationalists they are. 

Not sure where I'm going with this, but I guess I don't take the time to gather around fires with friends as much as I'd like.  A lot of the best of what CelticsBlog has to offer is the same spirit of Joe Strummer's campfire.  Gather around, shoot the poop, express yourself, but try not to take it too seriously or it will take the joy out of it for you (and maybe others). 
Yup

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 01:45:09 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I watched "The Future is Unwritten" last week, a documentary about Joe Strummer of The Clash (see my sig).  They talked a lot about how he liked to have campfires at this one spot with a random assortment of people.  They'd just shoot the poop, play music etc...  The point was the campfire was a safe place to gather round and express yourself.

I'm a pyro at heart, and have a fire pit in back yard so I can feed into the childhood pyro in me under the guise of a responsible adult.  The other night I had a great fire going and roasted some marshmallows with my two daughters (wife was working).  After the girls went to bed I had beer by the fire with my dog and my cat near by - great conversationalists they are. 

Not sure where I'm going with this, but I guess I don't take the time to gather around fires with friends as much as I'd like.  A lot of the best of what CelticsBlog has to offer is the same spirit of Joe Strummer's campfire.  Gather around, shoot the poop, express yourself, but try not to take it too seriously or it will take the joy out of it for you (and maybe others). 

The Redz/Edgar TP Race is now dead even.

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Here's the funny(no pun intend, oh hell, okay, pun intended, it is a thread about humor after all) about humor in the written form especially over forums like these where people may not expect humor in a thought sharing forum. It is very difficult for everyone to discern the emotion that is being put into the humor.

I have attempted my share of humor on this blog and often have failed miserably. Other times not so much. I have tried anecdotal, satirical, sarcasm, and even a running series of posts. Some I have gotten tremendous feedback on. Some I have been insulted after and called some pretty nasty stuff and some have gotten about some people in an uproar as the couldn't figure out that it was humor.

But when attempting humor of any type within a forum that is usually open for public debate reactions of those kind I have received will probably become commonplace as I attempt to write more humor.

And it's all because if you aren't the best wordsmith in the world and you are not 100% accurate in portraying your point, your emotion can get lost in the text. Sarcasm can then very easily be interpretted an insult. Satire can become condescension in another's eyes.

And it is also a part of each individual that is completely different as well. What is funny to some is not to other and so compound that fact onto everything above and, there you have it, unfunny humor.

But I also think it is encumbant upon the person that might feelit is not so funny to have a sense of decorum and realize that it was an attempt at humor and take it at face value and not as personally as some do.

For me, after sex and sports entertainment, there's nothing I find more enjoyable than a good laugh.

And apparently my wife feels the same way because she's usually laughing right after we have sex. badoom boomp

I had to at least try end on a joke in a post about humor, didn't I?

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 02:10:06 PM »

Offline Morris Blue

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
aight im new here, i realize i havent been posting for as long as most of yall and dont know everyones personalities/if their joking, etc.  I posted something a few days ago under some trade idea that was something like "Ray Allen/Paul Pierce for D. Wade/Shawn Marion" stating that i just thought it was all stupid and silly.  I didn't realize that it was a recurring joke around here to talk about trading ray allen, and i was in a p---y mood about the posey signing, but i guess i shouldnt have beasted on everybody liek that, especially since im new.  I'm sorry if i p---ed anyone off.

That being said, I just dont get it.  The Onion is one of my favorite publications.  I live in New York City, where the physical copy is all over the place, so I usually pick it up for free and while I think that all of the stories are funny, I particularly like the sports stories.  For instance, the current article of the Onion has a story titled "Appealed Strike Call Taken All the Way to the Supreme Court." In today's climate of steriods/sypgate/supreme court interjection in sports, that's funny and witty. 

Example of a title post that we're discussing:
"Ray Allen to Charlotte"

Am I missing something?  What is funny about this?  I don't mean to be disrespectful, I just don't get it.  The guy is a veteran who finally got a chance to win a title and put individual stats and efforts behind him for the good of the team.  Sure he struggled for a minute in the first few rounds of the playoffs, but after his kid was diagnosed with diabetes after game 5 of the finals, Ray came out and set a finals record for three pointers made in an individual game and in the entire finals.

If you want to talk about trading Brian Scalabrine for a bag of basketballs, be my guest.  Scot Pollard for a cheesecake?  sure. but my man Ray?  Mr. Shuttlesworth?  It hurts.

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 02:18:07 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
aight im new here, i realize i havent been posting for as long as most of yall and dont know everyones personalities/if their joking, etc.  I posted something a few days ago under some trade idea that was something like "Ray Allen/Paul Pierce for D. Wade/Shawn Marion" stating that i just thought it was all stupid and silly.  I didn't realize that it was a recurring joke around here to talk about trading ray allen, and i was in a ****y mood about the posey signing, but i guess i shouldnt have beasted on everybody liek that, especially since im new.  I'm sorry if i ****ed anyone off.

That being said, I just dont get it.  The Onion is one of my favorite publications.  I live in New York City, where the physical copy is all over the place, so I usually pick it up for free and while I think that all of the stories are funny, I particularly like the sports stories.  For instance, the current article of the Onion has a story titled "Appealed Strike Call Taken All the Way to the Supreme Court." In today's climate of steriods/sypgate/supreme court interjection in sports, that's funny and witty. 

Example of a title post that we're discussing:
"Ray Allen to Charlotte"

Am I missing something?  What is funny about this?  I don't mean to be disrespectful, I just don't get it.  The guy is a veteran who finally got a chance to win a title and put individual stats and efforts behind him for the good of the team.  Sure he struggled for a minute in the first few rounds of the playoffs, but after his kid was diagnosed with diabetes after game 5 of the finals, Ray came out and set a finals record for three pointers made in an individual game and in the entire finals.

If you want to talk about trading Brian Scalabrine for a bag of basketballs, be my guest.  Scot Pollard for a cheesecake?  sure. but my man Ray?  Mr. Shuttlesworth?  It hurts.

Well...  not all of the Ray Allen trade ideas have been jokes.  That's what prompted some of the more satirical / sarcastic threads.  For a few solid weeks, there were multiple Ray Allen ideas per day, and people started to push back on that a little.  However, the Charlotte one, I don't think that's a joke.  I'm not sure about the Pierce/Allen one.  You're right -- those are legitimately hard to ascertain the poster's intent.

On the other hand, you have the obvious silly ones:

* Ray Allen to the New England Patriots

* My "window of opportunity" post where we traded KG, Ray, etc., to get back the original players we had (which was specifically labeled "tongue in cheek")

* SShorefan's "trade to overload the Celticsblog's servers" involving Scal, Antoine, and Ray

Those ones should be pretty clear to everyone, and in the case of the latter two, they were even explained for folks.

Also, welcome to the blog.  Here's a TP.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 02:29:11 PM »

Offline Morris Blue

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4

Also, welcome to the blog.  Here's a TP.

good looks, i was starting to feel a little bummed about my goose egg in Tommy Points.
now if i could just get my sig to stop saying "Brian Scalabrine,"  i'll be good.

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 02:55:34 PM »

Offline Montrossity

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I like a good mocking post, but a lot of them have been cliche.  The first one and the rare really good one have given me a chuckle, but now there are as many joke ones as serious ones and it has just gotten a tad tiresome.  But whatever.  There are worse celticsblog trends.... like the constant insistence that they should sign yet another undersized forward in Gomes >:[

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 04:25:06 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

But wouldn't you have liked it so much more without Bono or Johnny Depp?  (This coming from a person who has seen U2 almost 3 dozen times)
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 04:41:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

But wouldn't you have liked it so much more without Bono or Johnny Depp?  (This coming from a person who has seen U2 almost 3 dozen times)

Yeh, they did take a little bit of the down-home-iness out of it.  Especially Johnny in full pirate mode.
Yup

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 04:48:28 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

Yeh, they did take a little bit of the down-home-iness out of it.  Especially Johnny in full pirate mode.

Exactly, they both deserved the "Just shut up you pretentious pig-dogs" (a small nod to Monty Python there).  My big question was, why wasn't Paul Simonon part of the flick?
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 04:51:35 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Yes, definitely. The "Ray for the Patriots", "widening our winning window" and "Ray for Toine" ones were brilliant, IMO.