Author Topic: dorky Offtopic post (comic books)  (Read 2816 times)

dorky Offtopic post (comic books)
« on: October 27, 2008, 12:53:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
So, im reading some of the new marvel stuff online (haven't read comics in like 6 years, but the marvel website has a pretty good deal to read thier stuff online) but im having trouble figuring out the timeline/ storylines of the comics.

What i mean is, when i wanted to backtrack and read civilwar, i had to search for a ton of time to find a blog that had the order of how you should read the comics listed.

I also find the marvel site...less than useful for keeping up with thier new story arcs.

is thier a comic book site (marvel or overall) that does a good job breaking down what comics are in what storylines for a novice reader like me?

thanks (and TP bribes!) in advance for links :)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: dorky Offtopic post (comic books)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 01:51:50 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 03:34:08 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
So, im reading some of the new marvel stuff online (haven't read comics in like 6 years, but the marvel website has a pretty good deal to read thier stuff online) but im having trouble figuring out the timeline/ storylines of the comics.

What i mean is, when i wanted to backtrack and read civilwar, i had to search for a ton of time to find a blog that had the order of how you should read the comics listed.

I also find the marvel site...less than useful for keeping up with thier new story arcs.

is thier a comic book site (marvel or overall) that does a good job breaking down what comics are in what storylines for a novice reader like me?

The good thing Marvwel is doing now is that every book is tying into the same central story, without being dominated by it. For example, the X-Men are involved with Secret Invasion, just not in their main book. This keeps what happened in the mid- 90's ( Event fatigue, writers writing solely towards events, to narrow a universe) from happening while still being able to up the ante with global events like House of M, Civil War and Secret Invasion. also, it gives Marvel the opportunity to let up and coming writers try out writing classic characters.

DC is starting to copy this formula, which they can do even better with because Final Crisis spans 52 worlds. So you can read all the spin offs without having to read Final Crisis. Which is good, because I can't read Grant Morrisson on a monthly basis, makes my head hurt.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 03:43:38 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

The good thing Marvwel is doing now is that every book is tying into the same central story, without being dominated by it. For example, the X-Men are involved with Secret Invasion, just not in their main book. This keeps what happened in the mid- 90's ( Event fatigue, writers writing solely towards events, to narrow a universe) from happening while still being able to up the ante with global events like House of M, Civil War and Secret Invasion. also, it gives Marvel the opportunity to let up and coming writers try out writing classic characters.

DC is starting to copy this formula, which they can do even better with because Final Crisis spans 52 worlds. So you can read all the spin offs without having to read Final Crisis. Which is good, because I can't read Grant Morrisson on a monthly basis, makes my head hurt.

Of course the drawback is few have enough money to read the whole story.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Of course the drawback is few have enough money to read the whole story.

I'm sorry if I didn't articulate myself well enough, but thats my point. Characters are involved in side stories that aren't even remotely essential to the main story. I'll give two examples.

For Secret Invasion there is a Young Avengers/ Runaways mini-series. It centers around the one YA and one Runaway, both of whom are Skrulls, they're relationship and how they're coping with the fact that their people are invading their new home. Not essential to Bendis' story, but a good read if you like Young Avengers or Runaways.

In World War Hulk, there was a WWH: X-Men mini, where the Hulk comes to ask Xavier if he would have voted to send him off the planet with the rest of the Illuminati. It's basically 2-3 issues of the Hulk putting a beat down on the X-men, but there are some great character moments as well as an undercurrent of, Holy Crud we're the only mutants left and the Jolly Green Giant is going to make us go extinct. Again, not essential to World War Hulk, but a nice read.