Re: WWE
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2013, 08:05:36 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Another poor WWE PPV  :(

As every other Survivor Series.

At least they gave an intriguing ending. But the show was poor overall. Cena-Del Rio for the nth time, was good. Punk-Bryan vs Wyatts was good. The rest, meh.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2014, 08:11:41 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
SO, the Royal Rumble went "well"...  ;D

I don't know if WWE hates itself or just completely oblovious to the fact that Daniel Bryan is a BIGGEST star they have.

Unlike the other people though, I though it was a decent Royal Rumble, with a GREAT opening match (MOTY). The other two we're not as energetic but I thought it was decent. The Rumble match itself was okay but sort of predictable. It did make a star out of Roman Reigns.

But Lord, the boos from that arena after realizing D-Bry is not in the Rumble... Rey Mysterio turned heel without even doing anything. Batista looked like he hasnt stepped in a cardio machine for 4 years.

The fans are revolting WWE. Good luck selling Batista and Orton at Wrestlemania.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:19:16 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »

« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2014, 08:22:47 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
They are failing at creating excitement going into Wrestlemania. 

They can still recover, but last night was an embarrassing way to end a show.  They try to drown out the boos and chants for the guy who was not in the match with really loud music, and it didn't work.

« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2014, 08:34:11 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
They are failing at creating excitement going into Wrestlemania. 

They can still recover, but last night was an embarrassing way to end a show.  They try to drown out the boos and chants for the guy who was not in the match with really loud music, and it didn't work.

Yep. Bryan basically has held WWE hostage and he hasn't done anything to do so.

I would not really mind Batista winning the Rumble, I think everyone in that show knew it would be Batista and a little longshot chance for CM Punk, but I think they are ready for it. But not having your biggest star in the biggest match of that PPV is just down right stupid. It dragged everything down the drain. The sad part is they had that little bull, JBL, R-Truth, spots who didnt even do anything instead of Bryan.

Could have had Bryan in there, get's eliminated by The Shield and it served purpose for both the faction and the show. That would have been microwave heat for the Shield. Or gets eliminated by Punk, who I think is the only one who wont get legit heat if he did so. But according to WWE, it's "nope, let's leave out our biggest star, because it's best for business."

The only way to salvage this is if Bryan wins in the Elimination Chamber or he face 'Taker for the streak. But you'r right. The end was bad, I thought the Rumble match was decent but they're trying everything they could to cover a blunder that should have been avoided.

« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2014, 01:24:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
HHH, the steroid freak that he is, has always had a booking philosophy of bigger is better. Probably always will. Bryan and Punk, though wildly popular, are not the type of big, muscleheaded entertainers that HHH feels is the most marketable of assets.

Until a young large star like Reigns comes into his own, the WWE is going to continue with the trend of having guys like Batista, the Rock, and Shemus come back and be the focal points of championship pushes, especially now with only one world title.

« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2014, 01:41:20 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I miss the good ole WWF.

« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2014, 01:46:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
There is still an angle in this.

Too many WWE employees commenting on the disappointment of Bryan not being in the Rumble.  About the WWE not listening to the fans. 

« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2014, 07:36:31 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Haven't watched a WWE event in probably a decade but was curious to see the Rumble due to Simmons hyping it on his podcasts.

My reaction is that the Rumble is the same as it ever was, just lots of stalling and resting before 1 of 2 or 3 legitimate contenders eventually wins. Entertaining as heck when you're a kid, a little less so when you're an adult. But I guess that would sum up most wrestling events for most people.

I don't know enough about Bryan's history to comment on this being buried talk, but I have to think the powers that be will eventually shift with the crowd. First, they'll just use the anger to drive interest before eventually finding some way to give the audience what it wants. You could see them doing this on Raw already.

The other thing I noticed is that there don't seem to be any really compelling heels. Orton's promos have not really impressed me. Brock might be able to fill those shoes but so far he just seems to be a wild animal. I think you need to have some mic skills and display intelligence to be a top heel. I'm not sure what to make of the return of Batista because I have no familiarity with him at all. The crowd seems completely indifferent to him and he's supposed to be a superstar! That suggests to me they might as well make them all heels (especially since Batista and Orton resemble each other).

« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2014, 07:56:06 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Rumor has it that Warrior and Hogan will have small parts at Wrestlemania. I'm not sure they will wrestle but who knows.That should draw some interest from fans from the older days.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2014, 08:09:19 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
There is still an angle in this.

Too many WWE employees commenting on the disappointment of Bryan not being in the Rumble.  About the WWE not listening to the fans.

Triple H was trolling the IWC last night when he went "Aww, did someone didnt get what they wanted".

Part of me thinks I just fell in this WWE trap. That they really did not put Bryan in the Rumble on purpose to get legit heat for the "Authority". I think it worked to a charm.

And I think they are still pushing this "we don't want Bryan in the title so the fans would cry foul even more. I mean, I get it, the more we hate this, the more it will be even sweeter the moment Bryan gets his title reign.

HHH, the steroid freak that he is, has always had a booking philosophy of bigger is better. Probably always will. Bryan and Punk, though wildly popular, are not the type of big, muscleheaded entertainers that HHH feels is the most marketable of assets.

Until a young large star like Reigns comes into his own, the WWE is going to continue with the trend of having guys like Batista, the Rock, and Shemus come back and be the focal points of championship pushes, especially now with only one world title.

I think booking the big guys was Vince's style, and I don't the booking big is the reason why they are not putting those two on the top. This all stemmed from SummerSlam, with the "not so good" buy rates despite Bryan's popularity.

They still don't think Bryan and Punk can draw big money, despite their popularity. I mean they are internet darlings, but the IWC does not share the majority of PPV buyers, it's the Cenation and the others.

And as for Reigns, I'm still not sold. He looks good, and is booked perfect. But I need to see more, especially from the mic. I still dont think he can get me hooked up in a storyline involving him and just him alone. Ambrose is still the hot commodity out of that three IMO.

« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

The other thing I noticed is that there don't seem to be any really compelling heels. Orton's promos have not really impressed me. Brock might be able to fill those shoes but so far he just seems to be a wild animal. I think you need to have some mic skills and display intelligence to be a top heel. I'm not sure what to make of the return of Batista because I have no familiarity with him at all. The crowd seems completely indifferent to him and he's supposed to be a superstar! That suggests to me they might as well make them all heels (especially since Batista and Orton resemble each other).

CM Punk was the last compelling heel during his Taker feud. I thought Orton would be good as a heel, but HHH carried that all the way, he's boring.

I think Batista should turn. He's going to be legit. Especially now that he has got this heat from the Rumble.

But you're right. There's not a bad guy outside of Brock that I can really "believe" in. And the fact that they are missing the obvious and the easy solution baffles me.

They need that heel, and to do that, simple. Just screw Daniel Bryan off a championship and you get supernova heat. See Sheamus, see HHH, and see Rey Mysterio. And Mysterio did not even try to turn.

« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2014, 08:53:15 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
The WWE has a bad product right now. Sometimes they just don't know what they got. Cesaro and Zigler need major pushes. But I have to see the same boring storylines with the same boring wrestlers week after week after week.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2014, 08:57:52 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The WWE has a bad product right now. Sometimes they just don't know what they got. Cesaro and Zigler need major pushes. But I have to see the same boring storylines with the same boring wrestlers week after week after week.

Ziggler has been legit hurt. But once again, he's one of those internet darlings (along with Punk and Bryan) that are popular but does not really draw anything.

And unfortunately it boils down to that. If they move merchandise like Cena, we probably would have seen a couple of Ziggler runs. Punk kinda held WWE hostage and got his, Bryan is starting to get there.

Cesaro, I'm still not sold if he can spark interest. He's indeed a technician in the ring, and his "spin move" is over. But can he carry a storyline? I still don't see a "character" from him other than this strong dude. His 5 language thing didnt really work.

« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2014, 09:08:01 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

CM Punk was the last compelling heel during his Taker feud. I thought Orton would be good as a heel, but HHH carried that all the way, he's boring.

I think Batista should turn. He's going to be legit. Especially now that he has got this heat from the Rumble.

But you're right. There's not a bad guy outside of Brock that I can really "believe" in. And the fact that they are missing the obvious and the easy solution baffles me.

They need that heel, and to do that, simple. Just screw Daniel Bryan off a championship and you get supernova heat. See Sheamus, see HHH, and see Rey Mysterio. And Mysterio did not even try to turn.

You're right, in the same way that they smartly aligned Cena and Sheamus with Bryan on Raw to transfer some of his positive heat over to them, they can simply perform the reverse procedure to establish one or more of the heels. It looks like eventually the Elimination Chamber will be those three aforementioned guys and Orton, Lesnar, and Batista. That would be a logical time for a heel turn, perhaps for Batista.

« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2014, 12:38:26 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So, CM Punk pulled a Steve Austin

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/CM_Punk_Expresses_Frustration_at_Batista_Returning_Says_His_Recent_Work_Hasn_t_Been_Good.html

http://www.ibtimes.com/cm-punk-quits-wwe-wrestler-reportedly-walks-out-company-ahead-wrestlemania-30-1550416

This is so very unprofessional by Punk. But I can't blame him though.

So, they butchered the Royal Rumble, now one of their biggest stars has walked out. Not good, especially when the Network launch is coming on.

I want to know though, did Punk walk out because "he wasnt in the main event at 'Mania" or he just doesnt like the direction the WWE is going? I mean, he has a rumored Mania match with HHH, that's pretty big. I think this is more than just that. 

Or this is a work.