Author Topic: My bout with Covid  (Read 14008 times)

My bout with Covid
« on: September 02, 2020, 08:24:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So, in the Coronavirus Concerns thread there is a lot of political talk about Covid but I really didn't see any posts about any CSers getting Covid and their experience with it, so I thought I would share mine.

I moved to Florida and caught it shortly after moving here, like within a few days. I don't have a clue where I caught it but think it was at a restaurant, sitting outside, where the next table was only about 4 feet away and the 4 people there were talking extremely loud. But that's just a guess.

It was a Saturday night when I woke up coughing and couldn't stop and had a fever of 100 that made me think I had the disease. By the time I woke up late the next morning I was sure. I had a bad headache, the fever went to 101, the coughing was nonstop, and the fatigue and lack of energy was off the charts. I suffered through until Monday treating myself with cough medicine and Tylenol and finally went to get tested at a CVS drive through. The test was easy, if a bit uncomfortable sticking that cotton swabs deep into my nasal cavity.

The test came back positive two days later and the Florida Department of Health contacted me to do a contact trace and advise me to quarantine and only go to the hospital if my breathing got difficult, I had severe chest pains, my fever spike to 103, I became disoriented or if my lips of other body parts turned blue.

Well, my condition worsened. Covid hunts at night. During the day with meds, I was able to keep my fever in the 100 area and was able to suppress my cough. But at night the fever spiked to over 102.5, the cough got unbearable and I had trouble catching my breath. I soaked the sheets with sweat and though I slept, it was fitful and unrest ful.

It was now Friday, almost a week from the first sign of symptoms, and I started going downhill fast. First off, I lost my sense of taste and my sense of smell was muted though didn't disappear like my sense of taste. This is a very weird sensation. I was eating a lot of soup but it was like eating/drinking cardboard in water. I caught the feint smells of chicken noodle or minestrone soup but not the taste. Orange juice tasted like thick water. Really strange

But I digress. My breathing became labored and I started having chest tightness and pain. The tightness felt like I had an elephant on my chest and the pain was sharp and over my heart area. I was, at this point, in bed 20 hours a day with little strength to get out of bed. So I finally decided to go to the hospital.

In the ER I was tested again for Covid but the nurse didn't put the swabs deep in my nose, which I thought strange. I receive a chest xray as well as a CAT scan and the results came back that I had pneumonia and would be admitted overnight. I later found out my test came back negative and I was only being treated for regular pneumonia.

The next morning the attending doctor came in to examine me, asked if I ever tested positive for Covid and I told him yes. He got very angry, stormed out of my room and I could clearly hear him telling the nurses to retest me and to change my medications and to start a 5 day dosing of remdesivir immediately. So I was put on vitamin B, vitamin C, zinc, dexamethasone(a steroid to open the breathing passages), symbicort(an inhaler), a medicine through a nebulizer(albuterol, I think), zithromicin and the remdesivir intravenously. Yes, the next test came back positive and was administered properly.

I still had massive issues with shortness of breath, coughing and chest pain and tightness and, of course, being in a hospital, I got zero sleep to help recuperate. Luckily, I couldn't taste the food. The nurses were awesome and that attending doctor may have saved my life from a poorly administered Covid test in the ER. I am usually 110/70 blood pressure with a heart rate around 70. In the hospital I was 160/110 with a heart rate of 95 and for half my time there with an oxygen level hovering around 90, which is not good at all.

But slowly things improved. About the 4th day there the fever broke and the coughing subsided. The chest pain and tightness went away about two days later. I had to receive another 3 days of remdesivir as the doctor felt it necessary as I had lingering Covid pneumonia  in my left lung. Eventually that cleared up and after 10 days in the hospital, I was discharged.

I lost 23 pounds, was weak as a kitten, and could feel my lungs were still a wreck, even if the Covid had been cured. New CDC guidelines said to go home and quarantine for 2 weeks rather than testing me before discharged to see if I was negative for the disease. Being so sick, I wasn't following the news so didn't know that there had been some changes in CDC guidelines regarding testing. Thought it strange, but headed home with a host of medications to quarantine. One med was a blood thinner because an aftereffects of the disease is blood clotting in the lungs.

It's been a few weeks since discharge and am only now feeling close to my health from before the disease. I still have lingering lung issues. I can really feel it when exercising that they just aren't the same. I get tired much more easily but I can taste my food again. Strangely, some stuff doesn't taste quite the same and so have stopped drinking and eating a couple things that I used to love but just tastes bad now. I also have an eye appointment as it appears Covid made my vision worse which sucks because I had spent over $1000 on new glasses and contacts in May.

I feel very lucky. I had underlying lung issues to begin with but came out the other side of this alive without ever having to be intubated in the hospital. Honestly, those first few days in the hospital were very scary and it definitely drove my anxiety and depression through the roof.

This is a very real disease, not just some flu. It wreaks havoc on the body and will affect you even after it has left your body. I wouldn't wish what I went through upon anybody, even people I don't like(I am looking at you, Mr. President). So please, wear a mask. Socially distance. Stay away from large gatherings. Do what you need to to stay healthy and safe because, maybe, you won't be as lucky as I was to pull through it after a month of suffering with it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 10:13:19 AM by nickagneta »

Re: My bout with Covid
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 08:32:04 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
Thanks for sharing Nic. Had been missing you, knew u were moving to FL and was worried something like this may have happened to you. We kept the C’s playing strong for you! Welcome back, TP.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 08:39:22 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Thanks for sharing. Hope things will get a lot better for you.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 08:41:47 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow, that sounds like a harrowing & scary ordeal. 

Glad to hear you're recovered, Nick.  Thanks for sharing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 08:45:59 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Glad you made it through - that sounds like a really rough experience. Most of us have gotten pretty sick before, but the length of time and all of the different issues sounds like they really took a toll. I had wondered where you went off to. I saw some posts from you on CB, but nothing on CS for a long time. Slowly but surely, I'm confident you'll continue to gain back your strength and lung capacity. Probably not what you were hoping for on your move to FL, but hopefully it doesn't get worse than that. Great to have you back!

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 09:26:17 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Thanks for sharing that.I had an outrageous bout with a flu in January not similar to yours ..Every organ hurt ,coughing was a nightmare and couldn't get out of bed for weeks. But it couldn't have been Corona but if that mixes in this fall forget about it.
Been through two strict quarantines my wife came down with sepsis almost died and still her organs hurt..
Glad you made it  and that Trump has a lot to answer for..
Everyday you should pass your message. I don't stand a prayer if I come into contact -my daughter is a dentist always under threat and can't come home.
My son lost his best friend since pre school . He is 25.And his other lifelong friend to a knife attack in London.  TP

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 09:36:07 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Happy to see you back and wish you a good rest of your recovery!

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 09:40:28 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Thank you Nick for the story.  More people need to hear how real and ugly this illness is.  The “cases” and “death” counts don’t tell the story.  So many like you have been deeply impacted.  Hopefully the lung capacity issue will continue to improve.

It’s been a rough spring and summer for you - I wish you all best in your continued recovery. 

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 09:42:04 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Thanks for sharing your experience, Nick.

"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 09:54:06 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Omg that sounds so awful. I'm sorry you had to deal with all that.

Yeah honestly it seems the Doctor asking for another COVID test and changing the upcoming procedures may have ultimately saved your life, or at least kept you from staying in the hospital a lot longer than you did. It's also scary that this happened in FL, which has been a COVID hotspot for a while.

Thanks for sharing Nick, and wishing you well in your continued recovery.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 10:07:17 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Sound awful.    Glad you are now on the mend.  Thanks for sharing.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 10:19:15 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Nick, thanks for sharing your story. Hope you're feeling well and continue to recover to 100 percent. Just wondering, what is your age?

It really struck a reminder to me to be extra cautious again esp going to outdoor or shopping places like Wal-Mart, Sam's Club or Target too. It's always crowded and I try to distance myself even if I am wearing a mask.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 10:25:20 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Thanks everyone for the well wishes and kind words. TPs to all of you, my longtime CB/CS friends.

My real reason in sharing this is to show just how devastating this disease is and that it's not just some little flu or whatever else it has been characterized as by many. This disease is a killer and I got lucky. And I am not alone in this country with this.

180,000 plus people thus far haven't had my luck. And hundreds of thousands more have been lucky but suffered terribly, like I did.

So please, be careful. Do all the right things and not only stay healthy but keep your loved ones healthy too, until we can get a vaccine and kill this terrible disease.

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 10:28:06 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
That sounds absolutely terrible, but I’m glad you are doing better Nick!
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Nick, thanks for sharing your story. Hope you're feeling well and continue to recover to 100 percent. Just wondering, what is your age?

It really struck a reminder to me to be extra cautious again esp going to outdoor or shopping places like Wal-Mart, Sam's Club or Target too. It's always crowded and I try to distance myself even if I am wearing a mask.
I'm 55 and was in good health and good shape. I speed walk 6 miles a day and do about 45 minutes of swimming 3-4 times a week. Or at least I was doing that until Covid shut down the Y in March. Still did the walking but not the swimming.