Author Topic: Joe Harris - why did Cleveland and Orlando cut this guy ?  (Read 2144 times)

Joe Harris - why did Cleveland and Orlando cut this guy ?
« on: February 16, 2019, 09:27:47 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
This guy was traded 2 years after being drafted to Orlando for peanut. Orlando cut him

Now he's killing it for the nets, and destroying the 3 pt contest.

Is this another example of why bad teams stay bad? He has a great shooting form from 3.  Also wondering if this is another "Jeremy lin"-esque type of discrimination.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:33:13 PM by CelticsElite »

Re: Joe Harris - why did Cleveland and Orlando cut this guy ?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 10:49:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He broke his foot so the Cavs moved him to save 3 million in luxury tax and open a roster spot for the trade deadline and buy out market a month later (I believe they used that spot in Dahntay Jones)  I assume since he was injured Orlando cut him rather than keep him on the roster.  It was your classic salary dump where you acquire the player and cash and then you cut him for the team over the tax.  If he doesn't break his foot maybe it works out differently.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 12:05:53 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
He broke his foot so the Cavs moved him to save 3 million in luxury tax and open a roster spot for the trade deadline and buy out market a month later (I believe they used that spot in Dahntay Jones)  I assume since he was injured Orlando cut him rather than keep him on the roster.  It was your classic salary dump where you acquire the player and cash and then you cut him for the team over the tax.  If he doesn't break his foot maybe it works out differently.
did some research
Looks like lebron forced the cavs to dump  Joe Harris to sign  either McRae or Dahntay Jones.  Lebron era: Pack up any young player, and out he goes.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 12:36:15 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
During the really bleak years for the Nets, a lot of their fans disliked Harris even when their roster was starved of talent.  Thus probably easy to see why Cle and Orl didn't like him either.  He was always a 3 point threat but couldn't do much else, and was highly turnover prone when he was forced to make decisions with the ball in his hands.  He's not exactly known for hise defense either.  Decent role player but nothing more.

Orlando has given up on quite a few good players recently... Victor Oladipo and another Harris - Tobias.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 01:06:45 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
If I had to speculate, probably a combination of a guy who wasn’t given a chance to develop plus poor talent evaluation skills of the organization. Neither Cleveland nor Orlando come to mind as recent places where young guys develop.
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 06:10:00 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
During the really bleak years for the Nets, a lot of their fans disliked Harris even when their roster was starved of talent.  Thus probably easy to see why Cle and Orl didn't like him either.  He was always a 3 point threat but couldn't do much else, and was highly turnover prone when he was forced to make decisions with the ball in his hands.  He's not exactly known for hise defense either.  Decent role player but nothing more.

Orlando has given up on quite a few good players recently... Victor Oladipo and another Harris - Tobias.

I do agree with the general premise of your post

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 08:38:45 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
This guy was traded 2 years after being drafted to Orlando for peanut. Orlando cut him

Is this another example of why bad teams stay bad? He has a great shooting form from 3.  Also wondering if this is another "Jeremy lin"-esque type of discrimination.

James Young had a beautiful shooting form, too. But there's more to basketball than just how good your form is, and if you can't do enough good things to have a positive effect on the court then you aren't gonna play.

It's nice to see that he caught on with a team eventually, though. There's a lot of guys whose stories have a similar start but end up in the GLeague/overseas, though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 08:52:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
did some research
Looks like lebron forced the cavs to dump  Joe Harris to sign  either McRae or Dahntay Jones.  Lebron era: Pack up any young player, and out he goes.
Again he broke his foot and was out for the year.  For a team that is competing for a championship having a dead roster spot and paying 3 times that salary in luxury tax makes no sense at all to keep that player.  The Cavs went on to win the title that season and got useful playoff minutes from Dahntay Jones, who wouldn't have been on the roster but for the Cavs moving Harris earlier that year (and when I say useful, I mean he actually played, something Harris would not have done since he broke his foot).

Here was then Cavs coach Blatt on the trade

"Obviously with Joe having season-ending surgery, Griff [Cavs GM David Griffin], who is always working, was looking as always to create flexibility for possible opportunities going forward," Cavs coach David Blatt said before Cleveland played the Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday. "Joe was a real good member of the team. He was a guy we all liked having on our team. A guy I really enjoyed coaching. A terrific teammate and a guy with a real future, I believe, in this league. It's one of those things that you wish it didn't have to happen, but it's understandable under the circumstances why."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/14557501/cleveland-cavaliers-trade-joe-harris-orlando-magic

Had he not broken his foot, he certainly wouldn't have been traded when he was and the manner he was traded, but them the breaks (pun intended).

2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 08:53:36 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

James Young had a beautiful shooting form, too. But there's more to basketball than just how good your form is, and if you can't do enough good things to have a positive effect on the court then you aren't gonna play.

It's nice to see that he caught on with a team eventually, though. There's a lot of guys whose stories have a similar start but end up in the GLeague/overseas, though
Yep, he's a great shooter who actually makes shots in games unlike James Young.  But that's all he does.  I wouldn't say he's "killing it."  He's an average at best NBA player who hits 2.4 3's per game in 30minutes at a super high percentage.  He's a useful guy to have, but very one dimensional.  Let's not get carried away because he won the contest last night.  He's a taller Craig Hodges.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 09:38:16 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Yep, he's a great shooter who actually makes shots in games unlike James Young.  But that's all he does.  I wouldn't say he's "killing it."  He's an average at best NBA player who hits 2.4 3's per game in 30minutes at a super high percentage.  He's a useful guy to have, but very one dimensional.  Let's not get carried away because he won the contest last night.  He's a taller Craig Hodges.

This isn’t true. Hodges was strictly a spot-up guy, Harris isn’t. Harris is one of the best guys in the league in moving without the ball. The Nets also run a lot of Jazz type action, where Harris will catch the ball on the move, and with a defender always going over screens, he’ll put the ball on the floor and take it the basket. He also has a good body and boxes out well. Defensively he’s not the sieve people think he is. Again, he uses his body to fight for position and has pretty quick hands. Bottom line, he competes on that end.

Here is an example of the sets the Nets run, which part of the options are him putting the ball on the ground and taking it to the rim.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IW2wPVM82vA

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 03:26:31 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Now he's killing it in the playoffs.