Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366682 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1875 on: March 07, 2019, 12:49:59 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
So Philly loses another game without embiid. They fall to 3-3 without embiid. We are two back

They’re a slightly above average team without Embiid. And closing games is still their biggest weakness even after their trades.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1876 on: March 07, 2019, 12:52:33 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
So Philly loses another game without embiid. They fall to 3-3 without embiid. We are two back

The real pressing concern is if Embiid isn't back to normal when the playoffs start.

« Reply #1877 on: March 07, 2019, 08:47:38 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
That was another game that Philly let slip away.  8 point lead with under 6 to go and let the Bulls chip away there in the latter half of the 4th quarter.   About a 2 & half minute scoring drought didn't help.

Awful defense there on the LaVine game winner.  How can two defenders both roll with Lopez

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1878 on: March 07, 2019, 09:01:47 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
That was another game that Philly let slip away.  8 point lead with under 6 to go and let the Bulls chip away there in the latter half of the 4th quarter.   About a 2 & half minute scoring drought didn't help.

Awful defense there on the LaVine game winner.  How can two defenders both roll with Lopez
They just can't figure out how to close a game.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1879 on: March 07, 2019, 09:56:17 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

The Sixers are 9-7 in 3pt games or less.  We're 4-5.  The Bucks are 5-5.   The Raps are 11-4.

« Reply #1880 on: March 07, 2019, 10:37:03 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

The Sixers are 9-7 in 3pt games or less.  We're 4-5.  The Bucks are 5-5.   The Raps are 11-4.

From the handful of Sixers games I've watched (and also from when I start checking the scores online), it seems to be more that the Sixers have a 10+ point lead with 6 minutes left that somehow turns into a 1 possession game with under a minute left, rather than their actual W/L record in those games.

Last night for example they had a 10 point lead as late as 6:01 left in the 4th.

The previous game I watched was PHI @ OKC.  Philly won, but they started the 4th with a 7 point lead, and had a 10 point lead with 1:52 left, but then OKC was able to get it to a 2 point game with 0:28 left.  Philly won, but that looks like struggling to close it out to me.

According to this site: Philly is 16th in 4Q +/- with -0.2, while BOS is #1 at 2.2, MIL is #2 at 1.9, though TOR is way down at #20 and -0.6.  Not a perfect stat either, but just some additional insight.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #1881 on: March 07, 2019, 12:09:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Obviously a bad loss, and a game they should have won, but everyone knows they are super thin and can't really afford to have games missed from their big name players (especially their best player).  If they get healthy though, they are a very good and perhaps great team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1882 on: March 07, 2019, 12:17:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

From the handful of Sixers games I've watched (and also from when I start checking the scores online), it seems to be more that the Sixers have a 10+ point lead with 6 minutes left that somehow turns into a 1 possession game with under a minute left, rather than their actual W/L record in those games.

Last night for example they had a 10 point lead as late as 6:01 left in the 4th.

The previous game I watched was PHI @ OKC.  Philly won, but they started the 4th with a 7 point lead, and had a 10 point lead with 1:52 left, but then OKC was able to get it to a 2 point game with 0:28 left.  Philly won, but that looks like struggling to close it out to me.

According to this site: Philly is 16th in 4Q +/- with -0.2, while BOS is #1 at 2.2, MIL is #2 at 1.9, though TOR is way down at #20 and -0.6.  Not a perfect stat either, but just some additional insight.

This is a great add on. Tp! The misleading part of their close possession games is it includes wins and losses that only became close because they collapsed. The okc game is a perfect example of this. It counts as a “close win” but only because Ben simmmons was playing awful in the last few minutes allowing okc to nearly completely steal a win. A big part of it is their turnover problems from embiid and Simmons and that brown is at best an average x and is coach

« Reply #1883 on: March 07, 2019, 12:24:27 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

The real pressing concern is if Embiid isn't back to normal when the playoffs start.

My friend who is a die hard Sixers fan says that nobody in Philly is worried about Embiid and that they are resting him so a repeat of last year in the playoffs does not happen where he is gassed beyond repair. They think that resting him now to make sure his tank is fully charged is the way to win a few series.

He also said to me that he was blown away at our game vs. the Warriors. He said if we play like that, not many can beat us.

« Reply #1884 on: March 07, 2019, 07:47:45 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

That's one of their biggest issues.  They turn solid 4th quarter leads into close games much too often.  Some of that is attributable to their weak bench. 

« Reply #1885 on: March 07, 2019, 09:12:15 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

My friend who is a die hard Sixers fan says that nobody in Philly is worried about Embiid and that they are resting him so a repeat of last year in the playoffs does not happen where he is gassed beyond repair. They think that resting him now to make sure his tank is fully charged is the way to win a few series.

He also said to me that he was blown away at our game vs. the Warriors. He said if we play like that, not many can beat us.

That backfires bigly (forgive me) if they drop to the 5 spot and Indiana play well.

Philly are in a whole world of trouble, imho.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1886 on: March 07, 2019, 09:39:19 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

that may or may not work, one of the issues embiid has had (like when he came back from the hit fultz gave him) is that he isn’t in good shape and that impacts his stamina

« Reply #1887 on: March 08, 2019, 01:51:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Embid ruled out tonight. 76ers are 8.5 point underdogs against Houston. They then place Pacers so one of those teams will lose. Race could certainly tighten here.

« Reply #1888 on: March 08, 2019, 10:07:23 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Philly getting killed by Houston. You hate to see it.

« Reply #1889 on: March 08, 2019, 10:30:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We’re just a game behind Philly, 2 behind Indy. Would be nice to grab 3rd seed.