Author Topic: Would this work?  (Read 2223 times)

Would this work?
« on: July 08, 2019, 07:41:44 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Sign Tyson Chandler & Avery Bradley
Release or trade Theis, Yabu & Wannamaker

Bring in 2 vets to help
But my question is salary cap..can this be done?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Would this work?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 07:59:16 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
We just resigned Theis and Wanamaker so they aren’t going anywhere yet.

Tyson we could easily sign for the vet min, but, as much as I do like him, we’ve already got 4 rostered centers. He’d be a great locker room addition though.

The Grizzlies waived Avery Bradley so technically we could sign him to a vet min as well if he took it. However, again, we have a lot of guard depth. To me Bradley has taken a big step back as of the last couple seasons.

But they’d both be good depth additions if we got them at the min. I think Bradley takes more elsewhere however.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 09:20:23 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
You'd take a cap hit because of the guys you just signed and waived but as you're only signing the new guys to the vet min it's possible.

The chances are zero though

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 09:31:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sure we'd eat their salaries and are a hard capped team, but we're far enough away from the hard cap that it doesn't matter.

From a practical standpoint I think we're committed. You don't sign players in the offseason and immediately wave them for veterans you knew were on the market or soon would be. You don't jerk players around like that.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 09:55:23 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I’d loooooove Chandler to come and mentor Williams 3 and Poirier while showing the other younger players what it takes to be successful long term in the NBA.  This team is seriously lacking a veteran at the end of the bench that players can go to for advise IMO.  It will make the players better long term, I’d much rather have Chandler than Yabu.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 09:56:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I’d loooooove Chandler to come and mentor Williams 3 and Poirier while showing the other younger players what it takes to be successful long term in the NBA.  This team is seriously lacking a veteran at the end of the bench that players can go to for advise IMO.  It will make the players better long term, I’d much rather have Chandler than Yabu.
I think the team is going to keep his salary as a potential salary match piece or salary dump at the deadline to open up a roster spot then.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 09:58:55 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
For the salaries, keep Theis and Wannamaker.  I would eat Yabu's contract if it meant more PT for other players.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 10:01:17 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Sure we'd eat their salaries and are a hard capped team, but we're far enough away from the hard cap that it doesn't matter.

From a practical standpoint I think we're committed. You don't sign players in the offseason and immediately wave them for veterans you knew were on the market or soon would be. You don't jerk players around like that.
I could see them just waving Yabu. If they could get Bradley or Green at the vet min that improves the depth of the team by a lot. Right now they need to rely on a lot of unproven players. Adding one more proven player makes the floor or the team higher, imo.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think the team is going to keep his salary as a potential salary match piece or salary dump at the deadline to open up a roster spot then.
  While I think you're right,  it is a sad state of affairs that he is only being kept for salary filler for a TRADE THAT WILL PROBABLY NEVER HAPPEN......

He should be cut immediately, he stinks, and there are guys on the Summer team that have more upside.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 05:02:42 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
  While I think you're right,  it is a sad state of affairs that he is only being kept for salary filler for a TRADE THAT WILL PROBABLY NEVER HAPPEN......

He should be cut immediately, he stinks, and there are guys on the Summer team that have more upside.

I'd rather have Yabu and his upside (aka being $3 million salary filler in a trade) than most of the summer league guys and their upside (14th man on a playoff team)

If it's a guy like Carson Edwards or Tacko Fall that we want to sign, that might be worth it (but 2 way contracts exist), but most summer league guys would just be Nader 2.0
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 07:45:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I'd rather have Yabu and his upside (aka being $3 million salary filler in a trade) than most of the summer league guys and their upside (14th man on a playoff team)

What upside are you speaking of, because last game I saw none.   The past few years we not seen any.  He better show something in summer league or we ought to eat his cost and add Tacko and Edwards.   As for the trade filller, we have been hearing about trade filler but that does not help us if we don't make a trade that uses it.   I am very skeptical of that happening.   People know DA wins trades and folks won't to beat him so they are asking for the moon.   Send the bum back to France where he be the dancing bear again because NBA wise his main talent is picking splinters out of his rear from sitting on the bench and cheerleading like his is ML CARR on Steroids.

If it's a guy like Carson Edwards or Tacko Fall that we want to sign, that might be worth it (but 2 way contracts exist), but most summer league guys would just be Nader 2.0

These two are exactly what I meant.  Edwards big toe has more talent than Yabu's whole body.

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 07:52:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

What upside are you speaking of, because last game I saw none.   The past few years we not seen any.  He better show something in summer league or we ought to eat his cost and add Tacko and Edwards.   As for the trade filller, we have been hearing about trade filler but that does not help us if we don't make a trade that uses it.   I am very skeptical of that happening.   People know DA wins trades and folks won't to beat him so they are asking for the moon.   Send the bum back to France where he be the dancing bear again because NBA wise his main talent is picking splinters out of his rear from sitting on the bench and cheerleading like his is ML CARR on Steroids.

These two are exactly what I meant.  Edwards big toe has more talent than Yabu's whole body.

I think BJ is referring to Yabu's upside as being a non-minimum expiring contract which could be used in a trade, not his talent. Edwards will make the team and Fall will sign in Maine because he has 50,000 reasons to do so. I am surprised they so quickly signed Strus to one of the two-way contracts, but I guess they saw something in him. Fall could also win the other two-way spot and they could send Waters over seas.

Unless Yabu suddenly blows up, he will not be with our team after the deadline. If he is not traded, he will be released and we will sign a vet to a min contract to help down the stretch.

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 07:59:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I think BJ is referring to Yabu's upside as being a non-minimum expiring contract which could be used in a trade, not his talent. Edwards will make the team and Fall will sign in Maine because he has 50,000 reasons to do so. I am surprised they so quickly signed Strus to one of the two-way contracts, but I guess they saw something in him. Fall could also win the other two-way spot and they could send Waters over seas.

I understood that but thanks at the attempt at clarification.   But like I said this is not upside if a trade is never made.   We hear this stuff almost every year and Ainge stands pat.  If he is traded great, if not you have a guy taking up a roster spot that would be better served by someone else using that slot.    I also think we are really thin as it stands and if Yabu lays more summer league eggs he should be gone.   He was and is a wasted pick, it is a critical time for his career and he is wilting under the pressure.  If we do make a trade, I hope it is two for one so one of the two either Tacko or Edwards makes the team.

Strus can shoot the lights out from the youtube vids I watched on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GujtIR7BcE

I know it is a highlight and one should always be skeptical