Author Topic: Team Does Not Trust Each Other  (Read 1018 times)

Team Does Not Trust Each Other
« on: January 15, 2019, 02:05:57 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
Watching last night's game, I noticed a few things.

1 - On Defense, but also on Offense, the team is not cohesive. It appears to me that many of the players do not trust each other, or there is simply a tremendous lack of communication out on the court.  The team does not appear organized on the court.  On Defense, players are consistently not rotating and left Bklyn shooters wide open very often.  It did not help that the close outs by Morris, Rozier and in the first half Brown were lazy. 

On offense it was apparent that the standing around - take a jumper offense- was again the plan, especially in the first half.  Can we see some drive and kick without clogging the lane?  Can we see some cuts please, and when some does cut, please do not telegraph your pass (Rozier).

2- Because of the lackadaisical play, the result is hero ball by some of the players - instead of passing to the open man, setting good picks and moving the balls quickly and on target (too many lazy passes last night) --- and ISO ball is too often the result. 

3 - There still appears to be an entitled attitude with some players on the team.  Too many people afraid they are not going to get fed, so they go out there and try to feed themselves. And of course that does not work so... they mope around the court playing half-assed ball.

Re: Team Does Not Trust Each Other
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 02:18:02 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Yep, it's our biggest problem.  I counted three possessions in the final few minutes of last night's game where Gordon Hayward stood in the left corner and never left the left corner nor touch the ball for the entire possession.  He looked completely checked out.  I think he wants to play team ball and is annoyed that everybody else except Horford and Smart just wants to go get theirs.  No trust on this team and too selfish (Kyrie included).
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 02:19:52 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Brown simply does not care to play defense or pass

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:54:46 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
To be fair to them they seemed to trust each other fine when they were thrashing Minnesota, Dallas, Brooklyn and Indiana. The issue seems to be that this trust disappears when they start missing shots and missing defensive assignments, which has happened about 30-40% of the time this season. Inconsistency can be the most frustrating thing to deal with as a team because you know you can synchronize well with your teammates but it doesn't happen all the time and when it doesn't happen it looks pretty bad.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 03:06:26 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
For one this offense is so easy to defend it's not even funny. Does Stevens  encourage players to drive to the basket? Rarely are passes made to players in the paint. With this much versatility several guys should be living at the FT line.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 03:29:26 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I wonder if brown told the veterans that criticize his defensive effort and accuracy something of the sorts - “ I need to score a lot of points if I’m to be traded for Anthony Davis” and that flipped them off

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 03:49:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Def should pass more

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 04:09:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Def should pass more

I dont think Brown is at all the problem. Earlier in the year sure, but he has been much better (tho inconsistent) the last two months. He has been solid defensively and he doesnt force bad shots as much as he did earlier this year.  Not gonna call out his passing when he is stick in the corner 80%+ of the time. In my opinion the big problem is Hayward and Rozier. We are asking those guys to run the second unit offense and because they either A) are way too agressive finding their own shot (Rozier) or B) arent there physically (Hayward) the offense stagnates bad.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 04:48:25 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Yep, it's our biggest problem.  I counted three possessions in the final few minutes of last night's game where Gordon Hayward stood in the left corner and never left the left corner nor touch the ball for the entire possession.  He looked completely checked out.  I think he wants to play team ball and is annoyed that everybody else except Horford and Smart just wants to go get theirs.  No trust on this team and too selfish (Kyrie included).

I think Gordon is definitely frustrated and checking out. Plenty of coasting now where earliermin the season you could see the hustle even if the body/conditioning wasn’t there.

After putting up a few 30+ point games and near triple-doubles, he knows he’s back. Maybe not all the way, all-star back, but back. Yet he’s still relegated to a bench player that has to share the court with guys like Rozier and Brown, both with tunnel vision.

I still want to see a lineup of Kyrie/Smart/Hayward/Morris/Horford can do. That seems like the best mix of talent, toughness, intelligence, and poise.

Move Tatum to the bench for a bit and see what happens. He can get more touches with guys like Theis and Baynes doing the dirty work instead of wanting the ball.

This team really needs to get going if they want to be ready to make a long playoff run.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 04:48:43 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
They don't?

That's too bad, but seemingly true.

All they need to do is research CELTICS HISTORY..this jersey...TEAM...has a tradition like NO OTHER, besides perhaps The Lakers..

Going up against those Giants in Wilt and Kareem BOS "HAD" to trust each other......

Now? We have the best player in the NBA on the Lakers and we could very well meet them in the next few years...

The cycle repeats itself.

Boston Celtics LEAVE their egos at the door. Look up in those rafters.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 04:58:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I still want to see a lineup of Kyrie/Smart/Hayward/Morris/Horford can do. That seems like the best mix of talent, toughness, intelligence, and poise.

Move Tatum to the bench for a bit and see what happens.

Yeah, lately I have been thinking about that too.

I was wondering if having Hayward in the starting lineup would help Kyrie share the ball some more. Give him another ball-handler and passer. Someone to get others involved.

I was wondering if that would give the team better balance (passing wise, teamwork on offense wise) and set a better tone to start games off. Get everyone in the team spirit.

I would be interested in seeing how that starting lineup would work out.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 05:01:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

That is what I see too.

A lot of takers on this team. Not enough givers. Too much individualism. Not enough focus on teamwork.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Perhaps you haven't noticed but in a large number of offensive sets for this team, a player stands in each corner and never move. Most of those players look disengaged and checked out. I have seen Brown, Tatum, Morris, Rozier, and Ojeleye all sit in that corner for many sets and never touch a ball and you can see in their faces they know they are just a decoy or an  emergency dish out to for last second shot.

It's these sets that drive me crazy as Stevens basically freezes out players for multiple trips down court as Stevens runs a three man weeve and pick and roll offense while 2 players do nothing and never touch the ball.

Really, really hate those sets of Stevens.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 05:34:57 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Perhaps you haven't noticed but in a large number of offensive sets for this team, a player stands in each corner and never move. Most of those players look disengaged and checked out. I have seen Brown, Tatum, Morris, Rozier, and Ojeleye all sit in that corner for many sets and never touch a ball and you can see in their faces they know they are just a decoy or an  emergency dish out to for last second shot.

It's these sets that drive me crazy as Stevens basically freezes out players for multiple trips down court as Stevens runs a three man weeve and pick and roll offense while 2 players do nothing and never touch the ball.

Bingo! I hate this offense. Like I've been saying it relegates versatile players to being easily defended.

The Celtics are being played like they won the title and didn't win anything. They may be too young to step up to the challenge.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 08:48:13 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

You know what, you're right.  I typically like Horns offensive sets (have run it myself) that Celtics have started deploying a lot lately, but I think we just need to get further into the options to get the corner wings involved more that way they don't feel like them not touching the ball is inevitable.  While the offensive sets themselves do give the possibility of players frozen in the corners, its also the players decision making because there are options to get them the ball and set screens for them.  And I don't think Brad is pushing the individual players enough to go deeper into the options.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur