Author Topic: IT: “I should have sat out the playoffs. No doubt I made the hip worse.”  (Read 4802 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Interesting.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Got a link?

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I would absolutely feel the same way.  As I mentioned in the other thread, IT truly gave everything he had and fully invested in every aspect of playing for the Boston Celtics.  He has always been counted out and I'm sure the stability in Boston was a dream come true.  Boston was way more than a basketball experience for IT and we should all appreciate his desire to become part of the community. 

Imagine if LeBron bails on the Cavs after the season and IT isn't quite right after returning?  I wish he would have kept the Ainge comments to himself but I can understand the way he feels.  The fact of the matter is that he might end up getting the short end of the stick while the Celtics become a perennial title contender.  I wish nothing but a full recovery for IT.   

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It was his prerogative and he chose what he thought was best. Had he not played, people would have called him weak and certainly would have questioned his toughness. It was a no-win.

I am sure he loved being the leader of the best regular team in the EC, but he seemed more invested in getting paid as much money as he possibly could. He probably was hoping for a max contract from the Cs (best of both worlds), but that wasn't in the cards. Now he'll get the opportunity to prove himself on the current-actual best team in the EC. It's not like Danny traded him back to Sacramento; he put him in an excellent situation to succeed. Now it's up to him.

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
IT has lost me now.

Dude, you consciously chose to play to further build your own brand in pursuit of a contract. C'mon man. Accept what happened like a man (you were traded for a younger more talented player) and move on.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am not sure that there is "no doubt" playing made the hip worse.  Sure, he would have had a few more weeks of rest and playing didn't help but I am not so sure you can say definitively that it changed the overall healing process in a meaningful way.  Maybe that is true, possibly even "probably" but no doubt?

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Did the Celtics put a gun to his head? Did they put a gun to Kevin McHale's head and make him play with a broken foot? He made the choice and it is what it is.
Peace through Tyranny

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
If I was Lebron I'd have to ask him why he keeps talking about Boston? You're gone bro, move on.  You're with a team that everyone predicts is going to be in the ECF so maybe you should spend more time here acclimating yourself to the group you have around you now.  I get it.  Isaiah felt larger than life as the new folk hero in Boston.  Boston was HIS town and the Celtics were HIS team. His face was plastered everywhere. He felt right up there with Brady and Papi. He was being mentioned as one of the all-time Celtics greats.  Now he's second fiddle. Cleveland belongs to Lebron.  It's like your mom telling you you have to go live with your grandmother. You have your set of friends, your own room with posters up, decorated the way you want it to be decorated.  You know grandma ain't going for that lol. You have to make new friends (which by the way these new friends are guys you were just trying to beat up not even a year ago).  He may never be the same mentally again.  One thing is for sure...if/when he gets physically right, he's going to try to score 90 on us!  :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:20:52 PM by mainevent »
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He probably cost himself millions of dollars giving his all for a team that promptly shipped him away. Don't blame him for feeling that way, especially now that the new season's starting up and he can't play.

However, it's absolutely not in his personality to ever do something like that, and I doubt it ever will be. He's a fighter.

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Part of IT's pre-season is building that chip. 

Gotta get that chip as big as he possibly can.

The more he talks about Boston, the more he keeps us in the forefront, thats good for him. That's his motivation this season, to prove us wrong.

IT wont stop talking about Boston for a while I'm guessing.

Re: IT: “I should have sat out the playoffs. No doubt I made the hip worse.”
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 04:54:50 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
This could be part of the reason DA gutted the training staff and moved IT. No one did the right thing long term. Last year they were lucky to get were they got, and IT was the reason for it and he played threw hell, but there is a time when you must lose the battle to win the war.

I loved what IT did here and he was fun to watch, but something always nagged at me about his long term commitment and putting winning above all else. It's hard to say if playing last season was wanting to win, or wanting the big pay day and when he talks about the brinks truck instead of saying we will talk things out and come whats best for both parties, it rubbed me the wrong way. PP and KG you had no doubt they were Celtics from head to toe. IT, if the green was more green on the other side, he'd leave the C's in a heart beat in my opinion. I did 20 years of hiring people, and you just get a feeling about people after doing it for a while, to the point when the boss makes the final derision and you're against it and two months later you can do a "told you so".

By not sitting IT screwed the C's out of this season, and possible for longer if the hip doesn't get back to normal. If he was playing Ball by July, I have a feeling he'd still be here. DA had to make a move just in case. He wasn't going to wast a season with Hayward and Horford just to see it IT would come back and then sign a 3 year contract. He was right he owed it to them by not wasting their time for leaving their teams to come here.

And watching the starting unit last night, man Stevens has a fun system to watch, and if Irving can play like that 75% of the time, it's going to be a heck of a season. 20pt 10ast in 3 quarters....:)

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 05:01:56 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Kissing that brinks truck goodbye sooner than later if that was the case.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 05:05:35 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Did the Celtics put a gun to his head? Did they put a gun to Kevin McHale's head and make him play with a broken foot? He made the choice and it is what it is.

Agreed. And at least in McHale's case he did it on an actual contending team. Did anyone think the C's had any shot of winning a title last year? Ainge certainly didn't and said as much.

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 05:06:14 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He probably cost himself millions of dollars giving his all for a team that promptly shipped him away. Don't blame him for feeling that way, especially now that the new season's starting up and he can't play.

However, it's absolutely not in his personality to ever do something like that, and I doubt it ever will be. He's a fighter.

This gives the impression that the C's asked him to play through the injury. I highly doubt if he didn't feel he should play, he would've had anything less than 100% support. Just like if he decided to be away from the team after his sister passed, people would've understood and supported him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 05:33:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
He did say that he wanted to play following the death of his sister because he felt at peace on the court and it allowed him to cope with the loss.