Author Topic: If we strike out with Davis  (Read 2485 times)

If we strike out with Davis
« on: December 30, 2018, 02:54:54 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Perhaps 76ers recent issues and ours can be fixed with a trade that can be beneficial to both teams

Celtics get: Simmons, (salary filler)
76ers get: Brown, Rozier (S & T), return Sac 19 pick

I guarantee Stevens can get the best out of Simmons (most likely playing forward) and he can help will rebounding issues, drawing more fouls and attacking the paint. His presence would reduce the burden on Irving and given how many elite shooters we already have, his spacing issues wouldn't be be an issue on our team.

Philly solve all their issues with this trade as the have a more scoring depth, better 3 point shooting and it unclogs the lane for Embiid.

I'm sure this is a contentious idea but IMO it has validity as a plan b.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 03:32:24 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: If we strike out with Davis
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 03:39:58 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Philly won't even consider that trade.

As for a plan B, I'd be happy rolling with what we have. Maybe a minor move or two.  Time Lord has potential and I'd like to take a couple of shots at another big in the next draft.  Jontay Porter is a guy I like and another big to stash would be ideal.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 04:58:09 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Simmons = flawed gem = fools gold

He is a very good player and a must watch though.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 05:01:52 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Don't think Philly would take that, and also have no interest in him. He'd be awful for our floor spacing, and he wouldn't even be our best ball-dominant guard
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 06:52:21 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Simmons would wreck opposing benches. Except I don’t know if that’s sustainable. He’ll be commanding a huge salary and would probably hate the role coming off the bench.

I say bench because Simmons has no business starting on this team. He kills floor spacing and offensive versatility.
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 08:59:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
One has to wonder how people even come up with ideas like this one.   It is so patently absurd that it is hilarious.

Reminds me of this quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY

There are proposed trades and there are flights of fancy and this trade is in the latter fold.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 09:48:18 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think Jaylen is better than Simmons.

Not convinced Simmons will ever become a top player (because of his lack of shooting, interest in dribbling the ball 25 feet from the basket and frequent inability to create enough dribble penetration to justify dribbling the ball so far from the basket so often).

Giving up someone as talented as Jaylen on a player who may or may not become a top player is not something I am interested in. I am willing to do it for a proven pro or a top prospect I have faith in ... Simmons simply isn't one of those guys.

I have more faith in Jaylen's ability to be a top pro than Simmons.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 10:25:12 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27

Not convinced Simmons will ever become a top player (because of his lack of shooting, interest in dribbling the ball 25 feet from the basket and frequent inability to create enough dribble penetration to justify dribbling the ball so far from the basket so often).

Giving up someone as talented as Jaylen on a player who may or may not become a top player is not something I am interested in. I am willing to do it for a proven pro or a top prospect I have faith in ... Simmons simply isn't one of those guys.

So do you think, given a "better" situation (perhaps one where the overall talent and aspirations of the team is lower, but where Brown is more of a centerpiece), Brown would show up Simmons?

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 10:58:42 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
One has to wonder how people even come up with ideas like this one.   It is so patently absurd that it is hilarious.

Reminds me of this quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY

There are proposed trades and there are flights of fancy and this trade is in the latter fold.

Ah there's the Celtics4ever we know and love, contributes nothing and only resurfaces to overreact to a forum idea lol quite pathetic

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 11:49:57 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I think in terms of fit it's a great trade for both teams.  It gives the Celtics the second ball handler/interior threat that they desperately need and clears out some redundant depth at two positions.

Philly gets two young starting caliber players that could help spread the floor around Embiid and Butler and improve team defense.

I can't really imagine two competing teams in the same conference agreeing on this blockbuster but stranger things have happened in the NBA.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 11:57:50 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Look elsewhere..

Simmons is not a good fit AND Philly says no anyway.

Id rather go for Middleton or Brogodon.

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Look elsewhere..

Simmons is not a good fit AND Philly says no anyway.

Id rather go for Middleton or Brogodon.
We've got no chance at Middleton or Brogdon either. 

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 01:08:16 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

So do you think, given a "better" situation (perhaps one where the overall talent and aspirations of the team is lower, but where Brown is more of a centerpiece), Brown would show up Simmons?

Jaylen has played badly so far this year but I thought he outplayed Simmons last season. Better than Simmons both on defense and on offense.

And Jaylen is only scratching the surface of his potential. Another 3-4 years down the line, he has got a great chance to be one of the best wings in the league. A 20-25ppg threat, 5rpg, all-league defense type of player. Maybe even a 4-5 assist a night guy. His passing is already ahead of where DeRozan was at the same age (as is his defense, rebounding and outside shooting - Derozan better midrange shooter).

Simmons has a chance too (to be a star player) but a lot will come down to him developing that jump-shot. I am more nervous about that road-block for him than the issues facing Jaylen.

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 02:54:22 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I believe that Brown is a better overall player than Simmons, but a 1 for 1 trade would benefit both teams. Celtics would better use Simmons playmaking and fastbreak pros and Sixers would better use someone who can create his own shot. The celtics can hide Simmons' weakness much better.

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 07:04:03 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Quite a fall from Anthony Davis to...Simmons?  Oh my goodness. Let's not do something to do something. Draft 4 bigs next year and send them all to Maine first.