Author Topic: Lost (TV Show)  (Read 45046 times)

Re: Lost (TV Show)
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I can hardly make heads or tails of where it is going, but I'm loving every minute of it.

as someone who ponders eternal faith issues, I'm loving the good vs. evil symbolism

I even wrote about it a bit here: http://doughnutholes.wordpress.com/2010/03/03/the-devil-on-lost/

I am also liking that what may be good, might not be good. 

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2010, 12:25:28 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Each person in their parrallel reality is clearly still the same person, but they are making choices based on different motives.

Sayid killed in both places, but in one it was to protect the innocent and in the other it was self preservation.  

I think Jeff is right in his thinking about "the war for people's soul" angle.  The guy we know as Jacob is attempting to win over his recruits by long suffering and allowing them to choose his way for themselves.  This is not the way that the Jacob that Ben followed operated.  Ben also never saw his Jacob before.

Not-Locke (who I contend also goes by the name Jacob) is promising "anything you want" to those that will follow him.  It was alluded to last night that a man named Jacob came to Dagon (the Asian man in the temple) and told him that he'd save his son's life if he would sell his soul to him and come to the island never to see his son again.  This is what makes me think that the Jacob that came to him was a different Jacob.

Okay, I'll stop now.

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2010, 12:26:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I am enjoying it right now. 

I like the two timeline idea, that the same people's live intertwine both ways. 

I watched the first 10-15 minutes, got bored to death and turned on American Idol.   I'll suffer through the rest of it later this week... or let the episodes pile up on my DVR and eventually reluctantly plow through them.   Sayid and the asian guy had a fight... Apparently Sayid has some bad in him.  A baseball fell off a shelf.   Whooptydoo.  *yawn*

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2010, 12:34:44 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter

good point - which raises interesting questions

if Jacob is supposed to be "good" then why did Ben do so many bad things in his name? (hmmm, maybe like the Crusades? I'm not the best historian so sorry if I butchered that reference)

and there's the "why do bad things happen to good people?" question
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2010, 12:36:20 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

good point - which raises interesting questions

if Jacob is supposed to be "good" then why did Ben do so many bad things in his name? (hmmm, maybe like the Crusades? I'm not the best historian so sorry if I butchered that reference)

and there's the "why do bad things happen to good people?" question

Is there even a good between those two or is it just two old men fighting an old fight?

« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2010, 12:46:41 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
there has to be something in there - too much imagery

Jacob (who appears serene and under control) accepts his own murder without a fight only to appear to Hurley after his death and (I assume) rises again from death (as the boy running in the woods?) - that's all Christ imagery

then there's Locke/man-in-black who promises anything in the world to Syid (like the Devil offering the world to Christ during the temptation)

I don't know how it will play out in the end, but the symbolism is too strong to dismiss if you ask me
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
j.j. abrams is awful. they already said they won't answer all the questions. Ya that's because they never had an idea of what the answers would be. Anyone that thinks they had this all planned out is fooling themselves. bsg is a great comparison. It started out as this great show with this big mystery in  which they had no idea how they would end it. it was so obvious in that final season. It's obvious on lost too. i think this has been obvious for a long time though.

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2010, 01:05:14 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
and (I assume) rises again from death (as the boy running in the woods?)

The boy in the woods was not Jacob.  I'm pretty sure of this.

I think the boy running in the woods was something higher on the island than both the MiB and Jacob.

Remember that the MiB is "trapped" on the island, which suggests there is something more powerful than him trapping him (can't be Jacob, since Jacob is dead).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2010, 01:21:54 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
and (I assume) rises again from death (as the boy running in the woods?)

The boy in the woods was not Jacob.  I'm pretty sure of this.

I think the boy running in the woods was something higher on the island than both the MiB and Jacob.

Remember that the MiB is "trapped" on the island, which suggests there is something more powerful than him trapping him (can't be Jacob, since Jacob is dead).
There are definitely rules of the game set up and that little boy knew them and reminded Not-Locke of them.

I have yet to come up with a theory as to what game they are playing, but it appears that Jacob I is recruiting people's good versions and Jacob II (Not-Locke) is recruiting the bad or darkside versions.

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2010, 01:26:02 PM »

Offline Schintzius

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 68
j.j. abrams is awful.

J.J. Abrams hasn't written an episode of LOST since (I believe) its first season.  It's been mostly Lindelof/Cuse since season 2.

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2010, 04:20:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Let me try to sum up what annoys me about Lost.

The first couple seasons it seemed like the mystery they were setting up was, "Why did they crash on the island?" and "What was the island?".    Everything they were presenting seemed to fit within that structure.   There was this huge mystery about who "the others" were and what "the dharma inititive was"... and it seemed they were beginning to explain that great mystery.   Polar bears on the island, weird smoke monsters, locke magically being healed, etc...    I'm comfortable with crazy things happening as long as it fits within the confines of the structure they set up.   A plausible explanation was that the island had some kind of weird Bermuda triangle energy, some kind of gravitational pull... and that highly top secret science experiments had been conducted on the island.  If they had explained that the dharma inititive had been there since the 20s... that the smoke monster was some kind of security device...  that nuclear experiments had caused strange phenomena on the island (such as Locke being healed)... and that the castaways were brought there in a staged crash so that they could be experimented on and so that the dharma inititive could conduct mind experiments... I would have been on board.

But it seems they eventually just abandoned the logical path for the show, decided to just say the island was "magical" and turned the questions into "why were they destined to be on the island" and... "who are these godlike mystical characters?".     It's clearly deus ex machina.   Battlestar Galactica copped out in the exact same way.  Instead of following the path they set out... they just answered the question by saying "godlike magical characters were pulling strings".  That's just lazy.

Anyways... for what it's worth... I liked this article: http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2010/03/lost-sundown-history-of-violence.html

His theory makes a lot of sense.  Basically what he says is that the "alt reality" is really just the epilogue in advance.  We have the devil character (fake locke) and we have the angel character (Jacob)... and after those two battle, Jacob will basically grant the castaways what they want.  Jack wants a father/son relationship (we saw that last episode)... Locke wants to be comfortable with his disability (we saw that already)... Kate wants to be free (we saw that)... Sayid wants a relationship with that woman (we saw that this episode)...   so on and so forth.    Almost like at the end of this season (and all the war is over), Jacob will be a magic genie and grant the characters their new life.  Following the logic of that theory... each character had sufficient baggage and sins and needed to go to the island to prove themselves worthy of a second chance and make ammends for all they had done wrong.  Upon doing that... they are granted their "second chance" (as seen in these "alt reality" clips).   

How very "It's a Wonderful Life"/"a Christmas Carol"...

Makes sense I guess.  But no way was that the show they set out to make.

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2010, 04:28:13 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Okay so Ben has supposedly been working for Jacob for all these years but when the men killed his daughter he had the ability to call on the smoke monster, or the Man in Black

How was he able to do that if Ben was working for Jacob, the smoke monster's nemesis

Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2010, 11:51:10 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
anyone watch the finale tonight?
lost boards are swamped of course.
liked it a lot. lot of unanswered questions (Walt was important why?) but overall a happy ending, which i was surprsingly glad to see.
so sad its over. boo hoo.

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2010, 11:56:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
liked it a lot. lot of unanswered questions (Walt was important why?) but overall a happy ending, which i was surprsingly glad to see.
Watched it and loved it. It was really the only answer to everything and made perfect sense.

« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2010, 12:17:21 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Watched it and loved it. It was really the only answer to everything and made perfect sense.

can you explain it to me then
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp