Poll

Is Jason Terry a Hall of Famer?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Is Jason Terry a HOFer?  (Read 16284 times)

Re: Is Jason Terry a HOFer?
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2013, 08:09:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
He belongs in the "Hall of Very Good", but he's not a HOFer.

At the same time, Terry's career numbers are very similar to Jo Jo White's.  As a hypocritical homer, I'd vote White in, and leave Terry out.

I looked up Terry's career numbers compared to JoJo White's up through age 34 (when White retired) and they are REMARKABLY similar:

Per 36 min -
Terry:  17.3ppg, 5.0apg, 2.9rpg, 44.8% fg
White:  17.3ppg, 4.9apg, 4.0rpg, 44.4% fg

Wow.  Don't get much closer than that!  Terry has higher cumulative stats due to more games played

Big differences - JoJo was a 21.5ppg scorer over his playoff career (80 games), 2x champ, a Finals MVP, 7x all-star, 2x all-nba second team.  Aside from being a 1x champ, Terry owns none of those other accolades.

JoJo is considerably more deserving than Terry and not in.  Terry's chances are almost 0 to me.
I can't believe JoJo is not in but by the same token I can't believe players like KC Jones are in. Makes no sense.

JoJo was my favorite player, so i am biased about him as a HoFer but my memory is that he had a string of maybe 5-7  strong years (I checked -- 7 years greater than 18 ppg), and probably misses out due to lack of longevity. His strong years were strong, not dominant.  JoJo may get in some day.   

Terry had 3 years over 18 ppg.  He's had a lot of solid offensive years, but nothing spectacular.  Grant Hill and Jamal Crawdford are more deserving than Terry (just to name 2) and they're borderline.
I can't believe JoJo isn't in.   He's a key to those titee teams in the 70's and was an terrific player.  shame on the Hall voters

« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2013, 08:27:35 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
In theory if Terry is a HOFer then there are lots of guys that could be, right?  Sheed. Tayshaun. Kenyon Martin.  I mean pretty much anybody that was never an all star could be a HOFer, which is why I'm not even sure he gets in the Hall of Good right away.  Wally, Nick Van Exel, Mo Williams, Kevin Willis, Jameer Nelson, Chris Kaman, Sam Cassel.

I think this may be a.......I hate to say it....troll.   Something is not right here.

« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2013, 08:35:57 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
In theory if Terry is a HOFer then there are lots of guys that could be, right?  Sheed. Tayshaun. Kenyon Martin.  I mean pretty much anybody that was never an all star could be a HOFer, which is why I'm not even sure he gets in the Hall of Good right away.  Wally, Nick Van Exel, Mo Williams, Kevin Willis, Jameer Nelson, Chris Kaman, Sam Cassel.

I think this may be a.......I hate to say it....troll.   Something is not right here.

I'm sure ill take some crap for this because everyone fawns over the Spurs but Jeff Van Gundy calling Manu Ginobli the other night a "Sure fire Hall of Famer" was pretty shocking to me. Maybe his international career is incredible or something but I doubt that's what JVG was thinking when he said it.

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2013, 09:05:28 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I thought it was far fetched this past summer when it was brought up, i thought it was far fetched in February when this thread was created (see quote), and I think it is far fetched now.

this was discussed when he first came to boston. he is no way a hall of famer and if he by some chance were to get in, then the hof has significantly lowered its standards imo

« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I'm sure ill take some crap for this because everyone fawns over the Spurs but Jeff Van Gundy calling Manu Ginobli the other night a "Sure fire Hall of Famer" was pretty shocking to me. Maybe his international career is incredible or something but I doubt that's what JVG was thinking when he said it.
Manu will get in for his foreign play.  Even then though he has been a NBA all star twice, 3rd team All NBA twice, and the 6th man of the year, not to mention being an integral part of 3 separate title teams, so he at least has better NBA credentials than Terry.

Manu though has a pretty extensive foreign career.  I mean he won 3 titles in Europe before coming over including the Euroleague Finals MVP in one season.  He was the Italian League MVP twice. 

He also has all of the international competition leading Argentina to the 2004 Olympic Gold Medal and the Bronze in 2008.  Not to mention all of the other international competition.

So Manu will get in but it will be because of his European and International play, which when coupled with his NBA career makes him worthy of the Basketball Hall of Fame.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2013, 10:28:11 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Manu will get in for his foreign play.  Even then though he has been a NBA all star twice, 3rd team All NBA twice, and the 6th man of the year, not to mention being an integral part of 3 separate title teams, so he at least has better NBA credentials than Terry.

Manu though has a pretty extensive foreign career.  I mean he won 3 titles in Europe before coming over including the Euroleague Finals MVP in one season.  He was the Italian League MVP twice. 

He also has all of the international competition leading Argentina to the 2004 Olympic Gold Medal and the Bronze in 2008.  Not to mention all of the other international competition.

So Manu will get in but it will be because of his European and International play, which when coupled with his NBA career makes him worthy of the Basketball Hall of Fame.

The weird thing about Manu is that he *should* be a shoo-in based on his nba numbers but he's never played a lot of minutes. His career high for mpg is 31 and his average is 27.5.

« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2013, 10:44:22 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

The weird thing about Manu is that he *should* be a shoo-in based on his nba numbers but he's never played a lot of minutes. His career high for mpg is 31 and his average is 27.5.

Yeah, per-36 he is pretty much the same player as Pierce over his NBA career.

Even his game 1 in the current LAL/SAS series was vintage Manu. 18/2/3/2 and +19...in 19 minutes!

« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2013, 10:47:40 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
For everyone calling me a troll, seventeen other people voted Yes.  ;D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2013, 10:50:19 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
For everyone calling me a troll, seventeen other people voted Yes.  ;D

A 4-to-1 ratio of legit posters to trolls seems about right to me.

« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Being an important part of multiple championship teams is the easiest way to overcome unspectacular regular season numbers.  See KC Jones for reference. 

There are limits though, which is why Horry will never get in.  But Ginobili's got enough for the rings, and the gold medal (a much bigger deal for a non-American) to put him comfortably over the top.

« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Being an important part of multiple championship teams is the easiest way to overcome unspectacular regular season numbers.  See KC Jones for reference. 

There are limits though, which is why Horry will never get in.  But Ginobili's got enough for the rings, and the gold medal (a much bigger deal for a non-American) to put him comfortably over the top.

People call the greatest international player of all time.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2013, 11:12:36 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
He belongs in the "Hall of Very Good", but he's not a HOFer.

At the same time, Terry's career numbers are very similar to Jo Jo White's.  As a hypocritical homer, I'd vote White in, and leave Terry out.

I looked up Terry's career numbers compared to JoJo White's up through age 34 (when White retired) and they are REMARKABLY similar:

Per 36 min -
Terry:  17.3ppg, 5.0apg, 2.9rpg, 44.8% fg
White:  17.3ppg, 4.9apg, 4.0rpg, 44.4% fg

Wow.  Don't get much closer than that!  Terry has higher cumulative stats due to more games played

Big differences - JoJo was a 21.5ppg scorer over his playoff career (80 games), 2x champ, a Finals MVP, 7x all-star, 2x all-nba second team.  Aside from being a 1x champ, Terry owns none of those other accolades.

JoJo is considerably more deserving than Terry and not in.  Terry's chances are almost 0 to me.
I can't believe JoJo is not in but by the same token I can't believe players like KC Jones are in. Makes no sense.

JoJo was my favorite player, so i am biased about him as a HoFer but my memory is that he had a string of maybe 5-7  strong years (I checked -- 7 years greater than 18 ppg), and probably misses out due to lack of longevity. His strong years were strong, not dominant.  JoJo may get in some day.   

Terry had 3 years over 18 ppg.  He's had a lot of solid offensive years, but nothing spectacular.  Grant Hill and Jamal Crawdford are more deserving than Terry (just to name 2) and they're borderline.
I can't believe JoJo isn't in.   He's a key to those titee teams in the 70's and was an terrific player.  shame on the Hall voters

Oh, please.  JoJo was a seven-time All-Star, two-time NBA champion, NBA Finals MVP, All-Rookie First Team, and great defender who, along with his scoring, was in the top 10 in the league for assists for four straight years.  From that list, all that JET has is having been part of one NBA championship.

JET isn't half the player that JoJo was.

And, I don't know how you could even consider for the HoF a player who was never once an All-Star among his contemporaries.

« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2013, 11:13:46 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

It was more calling him a "Sure fire hall of famer". You are making the argument that he should be in the hall of fame, probably not him being a first ballot hof.

Its kinda funny though that Manus barely cracked 10, 000 points. I mean Ben Gordon has scored as much as him.

« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2013, 11:14:45 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

People call the greatest international player of all time.

Sounds like people haven't heard of Oscar Schmidt. 

« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

It was more calling him a "Sure fire hall of famer". You are making the argument that he should be in the hall of fame, probably not him being a first ballot hof.

Its kinda funny though that Manus barely cracked 10, 000 points. I mean Ben Gordon has scored as much as him.

In the NBA, sure, but I wonder how many points Gordon has scored in other professional leagues.

I'd say Ginobili's a surefire hall of famer, in that it's very likely that he'll get in.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.