Author Topic: Extended Injury to Irving might be.....  (Read 3495 times)

Extended Injury to Irving might be.....
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:46:52 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
...a blessing in disguise.

It will make the rotations more clear and give more shots to guys who probably need it more.

Hopefully Irving can get some rest and heal up and be FULLY healthy for the stretch run/playoff push.

But a non-contact injury is almost never good.

Re: Extended Injury to Irving might be.....
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I think there is and should be a non zero chance we don’t offer him the max.
This is the healthiest his knees have looked maybe since his high school years and he still misses games. It’s a bummer because he can be an mvp candidate but Ainge should consider his injury history... we don’t want the next John wall contract on the payroll (especially combined with Hayward contract)

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 11:01:03 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Um, not for the long run it won't be.  What will happen if this team gets on a roll and Kyrie comes back and they lose it again?  Nothing good I tell you.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 11:36:55 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
An extended injury to Kyrie if follows us into the playoffs assures us of a first round exit. We are not beating the Sixers without him while giving them home court. Teams are significantly better then last year.

An extended injury to Kyrie also throws into question the idea of giving this superstar max money cause if you invest close to 200M in a player, a recurring knee problem can be a recipe for handcuffing your team. We need his injury issues to become a thing of the past but I am starting to wonder if that will ever be the case.

Cleveland friends warned me and said he gets injured yearly and some of the severe injuries will only get worse due to the surgeries he has had. They are rubbing it in my face once again and saying told you so.....Good luck with that max they tell me....

We need a healthy Kyrie to have any chance in the playoffs. We also need a healthy signed Kyrie to have any chance at a Davis trade in the offseason. Don't think for a second that Danny is not thinking about the ramifications of Kyrie's health prognosis going forward just like he thought of IT's issues. We all need to see Kyrie come back healthy and fast...if not, my thoughts on signing Kyrie will begin to change for the worse.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 12:25:25 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Any word yet on his injury?.

Speculations are that it's not just a knee sprain... If something popped because there was no knee on knee contact.. It could be worst and we could expect him to be out at least a week or two...
And with all the contenders coming up in our schedule.. Uuuuuggghh, this could get ugly as we may have to expect ourselves buried as the 5th seed with no chance of getting out of round one.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 12:32:30 PM »

Offline Rich

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12

Speculations are that it's not just a knee sprain... If something popped because there was no knee on knee contact.. It could be worst and we could expect him to be out at least a week or two...
And with all the contenders coming up in our schedule.. Uuuuuggghh, this could get ugly as we may have to expect ourselves buried as the 5th seed with no chance of getting out of round one.

Who speculated this? Just curious as I haven’t seen a thing
Let’s go Celtics!!

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 12:38:36 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
I wouldn’t give Irving a max deal. The guy has been injured off and on his entire career going back to Duke. Yes the team can’t win a title without a star player, but that doesn’t mean you throw money at Irving. The C’s become the Utah Jazz if they lose Irving next year but that is ok. Better to be patient while trying to find a star rather than have a second overpaid player on your roster who cannot stay on the court and deliver. Bad big dollar contracts can kill teams long term. Let Irving go to the Knicks.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 12:38:50 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668

Who speculated this? Just curious as I haven’t seen a thing

I've read that cardiologist Dr Gilbert H Mudge, who also dabbled as a orthopedic doctor in his pre-med days, said it's only a minor protrusion of the knee. Elevation and ice and 7-10 days off of it tops.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 01:39:00 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Blessing in disguise...for now. I hope he's not injured badly. I'm hoping that he feels well enough to lead this team into Philly and pull out a tough win. He has a week to rest. Wrap it up and show some toughness to the rest of the team.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 01:50:44 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think there is and should be a non zero chance we don’t offer him the max.
This is the healthiest his knees have looked maybe since his high school years and he still misses games. It’s a bummer because he can be an mvp candidate but Ainge should consider his injury history... we don’t want the next John wall contract on the payroll (especially combined with Hayward contract)
Then say goodbye to Kyrie and AD.  Kyrie is a Max player and he is going to get paid.  Remember we got Horford because the Hawks screwed around negotiating with him and offered him a bit less than Max. 

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 01:51:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I no way, shape, or form would an extended injury absence of Kyrie be a good thing for the team. It might be better for Rozier, individually, but I'm not interested in what's best for any one player. The team would suffer, which is the only thing that matters.

Whatever problems exist need to be worked through, not brushed aside, in the hopes they'll go away on their own.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 01:53:32 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Blessing in disguise...for now. I hope he's not injured badly. I'm hoping that he feels well enough to lead this team into Philly and pull out a tough win. He has a week to rest. Wrap it up and show some toughness to the rest of the team.
A week?  We play the Sixers on Tuesday.

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 02:17:41 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
He can rest during the AS break. I'd like to see him tough it out Tuesday and play. His team needs him to show leadership right now.

I still think we win Tuesday...

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 02:34:43 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He can rest during the AS break. I'd like to see him tough it out Tuesday and play. His team needs him to show leadership right now.

I still think we win Tuesday...

If his knee is injured, he should rest. He should not risk major injury to make a few wayward forum posters feel better. He played through knee pain in Cleveland and ended up breaking the kneecap. He played all of last season with knee pain before being shutdown.

Its not about "toughness" its about common sense. Pain means something is wrong.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 03:22:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Woj reporting day to day.

Adrian Wojnarowski

Verified account

@wojespn
Following Following @wojespn
More
Kyrie Irving’s right knee sprain isn’t serious and expected to be day-to-day on a return, league source tells ESPN.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team