Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 118263 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)
« Reply #630 on: October 15, 2020, 09:49:39 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
What is this obsession with getting a "true centre" when we have an excellent one in Theis and some decent situational ones like Robert, Grant and Kanter to match up against bigs that Theis struggles against?
I sadly don’t see Theis being able to stay long-term. Guys who were worse than him like ET and Olynyk got big offers in free agency that we struggled to come close to, and I feel like Theis will be similar sadly.
Turner signed with the Blazers in 2016 when the cap exploded from 70M to 94M. It was the same year the Warriors had enough cap space to sign KD. As for Kelly, we had to renounce him in order ro create max cap space for Hayward. If it weren't for Hayward, I bet we would have kept him.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/07/celtics-rescind-kelly-olynyks-qualifying-offer.html

According to projections, the cap will plateau at 109M the next couple of years. It's possible that we can re-sign Theis on a reasonable contract next year.

@Somebody
Wouldn't go so far as to say that Theis is an "excellent" Center. Imo, he's an excellent fit in our defensive system, but he leaves a lot to be desired on the offensive side of the ball. Like you said, I wouldn't swap him for a traditional Center. At the same time, I agree with gouki88 that we should try to upgrade the Center position.
I guess a lot depends on the development of Williams and any bigs we potentially draft. I value Theis’ defence and screening very highly, but think he’s pretty shocking offensively and as a rebounder. Would be happy to see us replace him if he starts looking for a significant contract upgrade

Good thoughts. If we replaced Theis with a guy good at scoring/defense but bad at screening, our offense would look very different. Theis does the little things well. If we can find someone who is a bit better in some areas but is still a high-end team defender and screener, great! I'm not really interested in a flashy big man that can't do the little things to enable Tatum, Brown, and Walker to be great.
That type of big man is really rare lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #631 on: October 15, 2020, 10:24:25 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What is this obsession with getting a "true centre" when we have an excellent one in Theis and some decent situational ones like Robert, Grant and Kanter to match up against bigs that Theis struggles against?
I sadly don’t see Theis being able to stay long-term. Guys who were worse than him like ET and Olynyk got big offers in free agency that we struggled to come close to, and I feel like Theis will be similar sadly.
Turner signed with the Blazers in 2016 when the cap exploded from 70M to 94M. It was the same year the Warriors had enough cap space to sign KD. As for Kelly, we had to renounce him in order ro create max cap space for Hayward. If it weren't for Hayward, I bet we would have kept him.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/07/celtics-rescind-kelly-olynyks-qualifying-offer.html

According to projections, the cap will plateau at 109M the next couple of years. It's possible that we can re-sign Theis on a reasonable contract next year.

@Somebody
Wouldn't go so far as to say that Theis is an "excellent" Center. Imo, he's an excellent fit in our defensive system, but he leaves a lot to be desired on the offensive side of the ball. Like you said, I wouldn't swap him for a traditional Center. At the same time, I agree with gouki88 that we should try to upgrade the Center position.
I guess a lot depends on the development of Williams and any bigs we potentially draft. I value Theis’ defence and screening very highly, but think he’s pretty shocking offensively and as a rebounder. Would be happy to see us replace him if he starts looking for a significant contract upgrade

Good thoughts. If we replaced Theis with a guy good at scoring/defense but bad at screening, our offense would look very different. Theis does the little things well. If we can find someone who is a bit better in some areas but is still a high-end team defender and screener, great! I'm not really interested in a flashy big man that can't do the little things to enable Tatum, Brown, and Walker to be great.

Yes. That's why upgrading Theis isn't as easy at it seems. Setting a good is as much a talent as scoring the basketball. So many big men (ahem, Kanter) roll to fast and don't hold their position, which allows trailing defenders to get back into position.

« Reply #632 on: October 15, 2020, 12:03:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

@Somebody

Yes. That's why upgrading Theis isn't as easy at it seems. Setting a good is as much a talent as scoring the basketball. So many big men (ahem, Kanter) roll to fast and don't hold their position, which allows trailing defenders to get back into position.

Upgrading Theis is actually quite easy.

His name is Robert Williams III. As he gets more PT he will surpass Theis.  Theis will be returned to his proper role of prior seasons with Celtics, off the bench to give us 15-20 solid minutes.

Full potential realized of RWIII is better than any of the center prospects in this draft. And I include Wiseman and Okongwu in that assessment.

« Reply #633 on: October 15, 2020, 12:28:23 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

@Somebody

His name is Robert Williams III. As he gets more PT he will surpass Theis.  Theis will be returned to his proper role of prior seasons with Celtics, off the bench to give us 15-20 solid minutes.

Full potential realized of RWIII is better than any of the center prospects in this draft. And I include Wiseman and Okongwu in that assessment.

I agree that RWIII can become the upgrade. I'm still hopeful for that. I don't think his ceiling is as high as Wiseman's, but he's still got a lot of room to grow.

« Reply #634 on: October 15, 2020, 12:40:04 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

@Somebody

I agree that RWIII can become the upgrade. I'm still hopeful for that. I don't think his ceiling is as high as Wiseman's, but he's still got a lot of room to grow.

I do think that another year of Theis/Timelord will determine how the Celtics approach that position going forward. It would be nice to solve it this year, but I just don't think there's much to do there right now.

« Reply #635 on: October 15, 2020, 03:29:06 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

@Somebody

I'm with you on this 100%, TP. The hustle, passing and hops of Timelord are fantastic and that jumpshot looks to develop as well. I've seen Robert throw some bullet passes right of the catch that very few big men are capable of.

Just has to stay healthy and be given minutes. Invest in your talent. The only way of learning is by making mistakes.

« Reply #636 on: October 15, 2020, 04:17:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

@Somebody

Can we please move on from Theis (as a starter)

We will never get by the Heat nor Bucks with him chugging mins at center

Cant keep treading water/settling because he can set good picks.  Ultimately he is a 3rd energy big off the bench that should not play more than 5 to 10 mins per game

Celts hopefully can draft another big to share the bulk of duties with Timelord.  Or sign Christian Wood as a FA

« Reply #637 on: October 15, 2020, 05:20:00 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Probably because we already know how much better we look with a player like a younger (average) Al Horford (and that was getting him at the start of his decline). If Theis had an offensive game....forget about it.

« Reply #638 on: October 15, 2020, 09:26:14 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i cannot believe that some people think ainge has hurt this team by accumulating 3 first round draft picks.  ::)

if this is the sort of woes that ainge brings to the celtics then we are very fortunate to have him as the GM.

Ummm I think you're not looking at every aspect of what I said or what ainge has done.

For the most part ainge has been great but there's definitely things he has either ignored or been flat out bad at - example acquiring a solid big.

A few things about that. First of all, in a rebuild your roster is not always figured out perfectly. Secondly, he did get Amir Johnson (when he was still a positive impact player), Al Horford, and Aron Baynes. He also signed a German center that was a starter this year and held his own at that position. He then signed Enes Kanter. He drafted a big man in Rob Williams that I know many fans want to write off, but still has some very dynamic upside.

The Cs don't have an all-star center because they have all-star guards and forwards. You can't realistically have all-stars at every position.

I'm on board with getting a center that would move Theis to a backup role. I'd like that upgraded as well. But this narrative that Ainge doesn't ever get big men is simply untrue. He doesn't get bad big men that are celticstrong forum binkies, but that doesn't mean he's done poorly.
I understand that most teams can't roll out a front court of anthony davis and dwight howard. But the Heat's front court destroyed us and they lost to the Lakers handily.

The point I'm making is theis and Robert williams are so far away from being enough to take this team to the next level that this should be THE priority this off season. A veteran would be ideal but I'll take anything at this point. This team needs length.

Theis and williams are bench guys , nothing more.

« Reply #639 on: October 15, 2020, 09:58:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
i cannot believe that some people think ainge has hurt this team by accumulating 3 first round draft picks.  ::)

if this is the sort of woes that ainge brings to the celtics then we are very fortunate to have him as the GM.

Ummm I think you're not looking at every aspect of what I said or what ainge has done.

For the most part ainge has been great but there's definitely things he has either ignored or been flat out bad at - example acquiring a solid big.

A few things about that. First of all, in a rebuild your roster is not always figured out perfectly. Secondly, he did get Amir Johnson (when he was still a positive impact player), Al Horford, and Aron Baynes. He also signed a German center that was a starter this year and held his own at that position. He then signed Enes Kanter. He drafted a big man in Rob Williams that I know many fans want to write off, but still has some very dynamic upside.

The Cs don't have an all-star center because they have all-star guards and forwards. You can't realistically have all-stars at every position.

I'm on board with getting a center that would move Theis to a backup role. I'd like that upgraded as well. But this narrative that Ainge doesn't ever get big men is simply untrue. He doesn't get bad big men that are celticstrong forum binkies, but that doesn't mean he's done poorly.
I understand that most teams can't roll out a front court of anthony davis and dwight howard. But the Heat's front court destroyed us and they lost to the Lakers handily.

The point I'm making is theis and Robert williams are so far away from being enough to take this team to the next level that this should be THE priority this off season. A veteran would be ideal but I'll take anything at this point. This team needs length.

Utter nonsense.

Theis was ranked among the most efficient centers in the league last year, as I remember.  He will be a good off the bench big, which is what his role was originally intended.

Rob Williams has basically completed only one season of games, if you factor his injury loss over the last two years. He is one of the most physically gifted centers we have drafted. For you to dismiss him already is foolish.  Have patience. Let him have a chance to gain experience and learn our defensive rotations better. They are very complicated and take a while to understand. Jaylen Brown was chastised his first two years for his screwing up on defensive rotations. Now he can do it in his sleep.

« Reply #640 on: October 15, 2020, 10:36:51 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

@Somebody

I'm with you on this 100%, TP. The hustle, passing and hops of Timelord are fantastic and that jumpshot looks to develop as well. I've seen Robert throw some bullet passes right of the catch that very few big men are capable of.

Just has to stay healthy and be given minutes. Invest in your talent. The only way of learning is by making mistakes.

I very much hope you are right. RW’s basketball instincts haven’t been very good yet, and some players never do get it. If the Cs think he can pick it up, I agree they need to feed him minutes - at least 20-25 a night. See what they have. If not, it’s time to trade him and move on.

The other limitation he’s going to have is that he doesn’t seem to play with a lot of lower body leverage. Don’t know if it’s his frame, high center of gravity or what, but even someone like Horford can house him. You can’t outjump him but a strong big can definitely push him around. Really a problem against an Embiid or a Jokic.

« Reply #641 on: October 16, 2020, 08:02:39 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
There are some rumours about Devin Vassell having changed his shooting form and that it could potentially hurt his draft stock. He's a guy I hope could fall to the Celtics. Below an article and short video:

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/10/15/nba-draft-devin-vassell-concerning-adjustment-shooting-mechanics/

« Reply #642 on: October 16, 2020, 08:31:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
There are some rumours about Devin Vassell having changed his shooting form and that it could potentially hurt his draft stock. He's a guy I hope could fall to the Celtics. Below an article and short video:

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/10/15/nba-draft-devin-vassell-concerning-adjustment-shooting-mechanics/

Weird. Could be goofing around. Shooting quite deep in clip.

Maybe he’ll be available at 14 after all.

Would we still take him if he were? Probably.

« Reply #643 on: October 17, 2020, 06:35:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Man, that is UGLY.

https://twitter.com/man_witter/status/1316947979513769984

This made me laugh
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #644 on: October 17, 2020, 10:11:33 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Utter nonsense.

Theis was ranked among the most efficient centers in the league last year, as I remember.  He will be a good off the bench big, which is what his role was originally intended.

Rob Williams has basically completed only one season of games, if you factor his injury loss over the last two years. He is one of the most physically gifted centers we have drafted. For you to dismiss him already is foolish.  Have patience. Let him have a chance to gain experience and learn our defensive rotations better. They are very complicated and take a while to understand. Jaylen Brown was chastised his first two years for his screwing up on defensive rotations. Now he can do it in his sleep.

You replied to me by saying "utter nonsense" but agreed that theis is and should be a bench guy - confused.

As for RW I'm not writing him off at all I'm just not at that point where I have expectations for him yet. Everyone here is ready to replace their bill russell jerseys for this guy and in your own post actually further my point about him. He simply isn't enough not yet.