Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 118231 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)
« Reply #600 on: October 13, 2020, 11:28:25 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
We seriously want this team to draft players this year? Imo if we do actually draft players this yr. Danny has seriously let this team down.

I’ll agree if he picks all three and keeps all of last year’s young guys. That’s clearly too many. But there are a lot of other options. I can see them having a good night if they trade up to get somebody they really like - it’s hard to argue with the team’s last few picks at the top of the draft. I can also see them taking one or two picks and moving various combinations of young guys and picks.

« Reply #601 on: October 13, 2020, 11:34:58 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
i cannot believe that some people think ainge has hurt this team by accumulating 3 first round draft picks.  ::)

if this is the sort of woes that ainge brings to the celtics then we are very fortunate to have him as the GM.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #602 on: October 14, 2020, 02:18:21 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Knicks reportedly interested in trading down from 8 if neither Ball or Wiseman available. 

They like Maxey, who likely will be available at 14.

Could be a potential partner with Celtics?

https://nypost.com/2020/10/12/knicks-seriously-considering-trading-down-in-2020-nba-draft/

If we traded up I would be very happy with Vassell.

Me too. I wouldn't be surprised if Vassell goes even higher than 8 though.
Feels like Vassell (or Okoro) with 6 would be a typical Atlanta type of pick.
From all the guys projected in the lottery Vassell probably has the least bust potential.

Haliburton is an interesting player with high potential as well, but more question marks about his shot and role in the NBA.

New York hoping to get LaMelo Ball seems like such a stereotype Knicks disaster waiting to unfold  ;D

I agree Vassell is going to be at least a 3-D player. I would give all 3 first round picks for him. If I was the Warriors I would grab him with that second pick.

Okay lets get Vassell :D.

This draft is unpredictable as it is and then you also have the Golden State Warriors sitting there with #2. Are they going for BPA (shortterm or longterm?), draft for fit (and what position/type is that?) or trade down?

Maybe a four-team-trade: GSW 2=>8, Bulls 4=>2, Knicks 8=>14 and Celtics 14=>4

1. Edwards (Timberwolves)
2. Avdija (Bulls)
3. Wiseman (Hornets)
4. Vassell (Celtics)
5. Ball (Cavaliers)
6. Okoro (Hawks)
7. Hayes (Pistons)
8. Okongwu (Warriors)
14 Maxey (Knicks)

Vassell is special...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPcxiazGSbQ

« Reply #603 on: October 14, 2020, 03:23:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Knicks reportedly interested in trading down from 8 if neither Ball or Wiseman available. 

They like Maxey, who likely will be available at 14.

Could be a potential partner with Celtics?

https://nypost.com/2020/10/12/knicks-seriously-considering-trading-down-in-2020-nba-draft/

If we traded up I would be very happy with Vassell.

Me too. I wouldn't be surprised if Vassell goes even higher than 8 though.
Feels like Vassell (or Okoro) with 6 would be a typical Atlanta type of pick.
From all the guys projected in the lottery Vassell probably has the least bust potential.

Haliburton is an interesting player with high potential as well, but more question marks about his shot and role in the NBA.

New York hoping to get LaMelo Ball seems like such a stereotype Knicks disaster waiting to unfold  ;D

I agree Vassell is going to be at least a 3-D player. I would give all 3 first round picks for him. If I was the Warriors I would grab him with that second pick.

Okay lets get Vassell :D.

This draft is unpredictable as it is and then you also have the Golden State Warriors sitting there with #2. Are they going for BPA (shortterm or longterm?), draft for fit (and what position/type is that?) or trade down?

Maybe a four-team-trade: GSW 2=>8, Bulls 4=>2, Knicks 8=>14 and Celtics 14=>4

1. Edwards (Timberwolves)
2. Avdija (Bulls)
3. Wiseman (Hornets)
4. Vassell (Celtics)
5. Ball (Cavaliers)
6. Okoro (Hawks)
7. Hayes (Pistons)
8. Okongwu (Warriors)
14 Maxey (Knicks)

Vassell is special...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPcxiazGSbQ
Reminds me a lot of Mikal Bridges. Not someone I'd bother trading up for IMO
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #604 on: October 14, 2020, 09:48:01 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i cannot believe that some people think ainge has hurt this team by accumulating 3 first round draft picks.  ::)

if this is the sort of woes that ainge brings to the celtics then we are very fortunate to have him as the GM.

Ummm I think you're not looking at every aspect of what I said or what ainge has done.

For the most part ainge has been great but there's definitely things he has either ignored or been flat out bad at - example acquiring a solid big.

« Reply #605 on: October 14, 2020, 10:10:11 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Vassel is Corey Brewer with a jumpshot. He'll be in the NBA a long time and have good moments. I've heard people say he reminds them of Kris Middleton. I disagree with that idea. He's not that offensively skilled (yet?), but he is a solid prospect.

« Reply #606 on: October 14, 2020, 10:15:27 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

Ummm I think you're not looking at every aspect of what I said or what ainge has done.

For the most part ainge has been great but there's definitely things he has either ignored or been flat out bad at - example acquiring a solid big.

A few things about that. First of all, in a rebuild your roster is not always figured out perfectly. Secondly, he did get Amir Johnson (when he was still a positive impact player), Al Horford, and Aron Baynes. He also signed a German center that was a starter this year and held his own at that position. He then signed Enes Kanter. He drafted a big man in Rob Williams that I know many fans want to write off, but still has some very dynamic upside.

The Cs don't have an all-star center because they have all-star guards and forwards. You can't realistically have all-stars at every position.

I'm on board with getting a center that would move Theis to a backup role. I'd like that upgraded as well. But this narrative that Ainge doesn't ever get big men is simply untrue. He doesn't get bad big men that are celticstrong forum binkies, but that doesn't mean he's done poorly.

« Reply #607 on: October 14, 2020, 10:37:37 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

A few things about that. First of all, in a rebuild your roster is not always figured out perfectly. Secondly, he did get Amir Johnson (when he was still a positive impact player), Al Horford, and Aron Baynes. He also signed a German center that was a starter this year and held his own at that position. He then signed Enes Kanter. He drafted a big man in Rob Williams that I know many fans want to write off, but still has some very dynamic upside.

The Cs don't have an all-star center because they have all-star guards and forwards. You can't realistically have all-stars at every position.

I'm on board with getting a center that would move Theis to a backup role. I'd like that upgraded as well. But this narrative that Ainge doesn't ever get big men is simply untrue. He doesn't get bad big men that are celticstrong forum binkies, but that doesn't mean he's done poorly.

I agree and would add that the "Celtics need bigs" narrative is partially grown out of the NBA's past. Years ago every team started a 6'10+ 240lbs+ center and along side him a 6'8+ 240lb+ Power Forward. Not that long ago KG and Duncan where 7' 250+ Power forwards player along side equally big centers.

In today's NBA most teams have one big on the court at a time and show some sort of "small ball" lineup. In this current NBA environment teams roster less bigs and it takes unique skills sets to be a productive big on a playoff team. Look at the finals, the lakers who played big all season with Mcgee starting and Dwight backing him up went to a one big lineup with Davis.

Its easy to watch Bam taking it to the Cs and say "DA need to get a big to match up" but who? On paper R Williams is a great match-up but he struggles in P&R. Modern bigs are the toughest architype to find and also the easiest to play without.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #608 on: October 14, 2020, 10:43:53 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

I agree and would add that the "Celtics need bigs" narrative is partially grown out of the NBA's past. Years ago every team started a 6'10+ 240lbs+ center and along side him a 6'8+ 240lb+ Power Forward. Not that long ago KG and Duncan where 7' 250+ Power forwards player along side equally big centers.

In today's NBA most teams have one big on the court at a time and show some sort of "small ball" lineup. In this current NBA environment teams roster less bigs and it takes unique skills sets to be a productive big on a playoff team. Look at the finals, the lakers who played big all season with Mcgee starting and Dwight backing him up went to a one big lineup with Davis.

Its easy to watch Bam taking it to the Cs and say "DA need to get a big to match up" but who? On paper R Williams is a great match-up but he struggles in P&R. Modern bigs are the toughest architype to find and also the easiest to play without.   

I like your last statement. That's a good point. Ainge is really good at finding good basketball players that can contribute to winning. He's been doing it at every position on the court for a long time. I'm actually really excited to see what he does. I'm guessing he sees that upgrading the Center position and getting shooting depth would help this team tremendously. I'm more excited about this off-season than I have been in a long time. I think we will see Ainge make some smart moves.

« Reply #609 on: October 14, 2020, 10:55:59 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I'm starting to really settle in on Terry at 14. But I also want Bane. An impact big would be great, but I don't see one available so might as well get shooters who fit around the existing core. Maybe a trade can bring in a worthwhile big, but if not it might just need to wait for another year.

« Reply #610 on: October 14, 2020, 11:17:18 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

This is why if the C's move way up my target would be Okongwu.  If you have a "big" who excels at defense and can also score a bit....golden.  He's agile enough to help some on the perimeter too.
I mean, would Okongwu's presence not be good against Giannis?  Bam?  AD?  I think it would be a good presence. I liked our committee of bigs this year but there's only so much a committee can do.

Second favorite move up target would be tie between Vassell and Halliburton, and third favorite move up target is P. Williams.

« Reply #611 on: October 14, 2020, 11:33:26 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
This is why if the C's move way up my target would be Okongwu.  If you have a "big" who excels at defense and can also score a bit....golden.  He's agile enough to help some on the perimeter too.
I mean, would Okongwu's presence not be good against Giannis?  Bam?  AD?  I think it would be a good presence. I liked our committee of bigs this year but there's only so much a committee can do.

Second favorite move up target would be tie between Vassell and Halliburton, and third favorite move up target is P. Williams.

I really think this is a year where Ainge can take advantage of some of the less talented organizations. The narrative that the draft is weak is just wrong. The idea that Wiseman isn't a high-end prospect is wrong. This will be a year when bad organizations make bad decisions that keep them bad, and good organizations are able to take advantage.

« Reply #612 on: October 14, 2020, 12:13:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I like Okongwu, but the hype on this Board is getting out of hand. 

He is not the second coming of Wilt Chamberlain. 

Nor of Bam Adebayo. 

« Reply #613 on: October 14, 2020, 12:15:31 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Nor of Bam Adebayo.

Maybe not next year....but if the intangibles are there I see really good things down the road...Bam wasn't supposed to be squat in this league...really surprised people.

« Reply #614 on: October 14, 2020, 12:53:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Nor of Bam Adebayo.

Okongwu is more like the 2nd coming of Capela.... but is a smidge more explosive and has more promising offensive capabilities.  Jump shot still needs work

However the guy is really explosive,  strong and hardworking.   His ability to guard multiple positions, block shots and grab rebounds out of nowhere, is Adebayoish/Tristant Thompson
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 01:01:20 PM by Tr1boy »