Poll

When would you prefer the Celticsblog Draft to be held?

Early Aug (Aug 1-20)
Early Sept (Sep 1-20)
Either one is good for me

Author Topic: CB Draft 2016 interest thread: 30 teams set; Draft slots round TODAY @ 11am!  (Read 134968 times)

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
So are the players you draft under their current contract? Like if you took Russell Westbrook, would you have him for only one year and then he is a free agent? That would make guys with great contracts like Crowder and AB a whole lot more valuable. Also, are draft picks being reset? Or if you take the celtics franchise, do you get all of their future picks. Thanks for the clarification.

Contracts don't matter in this draft, my friend.

You draft them and you get who they are as a player at this stage of their careers, regardless of contract terms.

This is a one off draft, build the best team you could possibly build and argue your way as to why you have the best. So future picks don't count as well.

Think of it as like this thing TNT did before. But instead, we are using current active players. And for us to win the CB Draft, we have to not only be good at drafting, constructing a well rounded team, we also have to convince other GM's that our team is in fact, the cream de la creme based on constructed arguments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHbdbj4TRfw
Ok. So future picks are reset and contracts are reset. Is the future still being accounted for or am I building the best possible team for one year? If I take a bunch of young prospects, would I still be in the running for constructing the best team, or is that just for who built the best team to win right now.

Best team possible for one year
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
So are the players you draft under their current contract? Like if you took Russell Westbrook, would you have him for only one year and then he is a free agent? That would make guys with great contracts like Crowder and AB a whole lot more valuable. Also, are draft picks being reset? Or if you take the celtics franchise, do you get all of their future picks. Thanks for the clarification.

You draft them and you get who they are as a player at this stage of their careers, regardless of contract terms.

This is a one off draft, build the best team you could possibly build and argue your way as to why you have the best. So future picks don't count as well.

Think of it as like this thing TNT did before. But instead, we are using current active players. And for us to win the CB Draft, we have to not only be good at drafting, constructing a well rounded team, we also have to convince other GM's that our team is in fact, the cream de la creme based on constructed arguments.

Ok. So future picks are reset and contracts are reset. Is the future still being accounted for or am I building the best possible team for one year? If I take a bunch of young prospects, would I still be in the running for constructing the best team, or is that just for who built the best team to win right now.

Best team possible for one year

The last CB Draft had voting for "Team of the future" so it's really your choice how you want to build it.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

No, the future is not going to be involved in this game. Except for a Team for the Future award, which is technically a consolation prize. This is a win now game.

You want to try and build a team that will compete for this year, as the team you pick won't translate to next year's CB Draft (if there is going to be any).

No future picks, no contracts involved. You get (IIRC) 12 or 13 rounds, with one pick in each round, and your draft spot will depend on a randomly draw assignment. You can trade any players you drafted and/or any picks you still have, for either players and/or picks themselves.

For example, if you feel that you want two first round picks, you can try and trade you 2nd round and 3rd round picks to another GM for his/her 1st and 4th rounders. Depending on your strategy, you can trade any pick and/or player you want as long as the return is of equal quantity (you trade two assets, you need to get back two in return).

That's where the game gets really fun. Full on strategy mode. How do you approach the draft? Do you want to be top heavy and trade your mid rounds for earlier round picks? Do you want to move down a spot because you feel that the player you target may still be available a few spots later, while getting a better spot in the later rounds in return?

It's all your call (and if GM's will agree to your trade proposals).

And the main thing to do in the game is build a team that will best the other 29 GM's. And we determine that by arguing our cases, and voting.

As far as building it with young prospects, well, you can. But you'd have to convince the other GM's that a team full of young prospects can win this year by the time voting period comes. Remember the future does not account here. If you take Jaylen Brown, you're taking Jaylen Brown of right now, not what he will turn out to be.

So, happy drafting.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

No, the future is not going to be involved in this game. Except for a Team for the Future award, which is technically a consolation prize. This is a win now game.

You want to try and build a team that will compete for this year, as the team you pick won't translate to next year's CB Draft (if there is going to be any).

No future picks, no contracts involved. You get (IIRC) 12 or 13 rounds, with one pick in each round, and your draft spot will depend on a randomly draw assignment. You can trade any players you drafted and/or any picks you still have, for either players and/or picks themselves.

For example, if you feel that you want two first round picks, you can try and trade you 2nd round and 3rd round picks to another GM for his/her 1st and 4th rounders. Depending on your strategy, you can trade any pick and/or player you want as long as the return is of equal quantity (you trade two assets, you need to get back two in return).

That's where the game gets really fun. Full on strategy mode. How do you approach the draft? Do you want to be top heavy and trade your mid rounds for earlier round picks? Do you want to move down a spot because you feel that the player you target may still be available a few spots later, while getting a better spot in the later rounds in return?

And the main thing to do in the game is build a team that will best the other 29 GM's. And we determine that by arguing our cases, and voting.

As far as building it with young prospects, well, you can. But you'd have to convince the other GM's that a team full of young prospects can win this year by the time voting period comes. Remember the future does not account here. If you take Jaylen Brown, you're taking Jaylen Brown of right now, not what he will turn out to be.

So, happy drafting.

Yoki, appreciate the enthusiasm and your willingness to help other new GMs!

And would like to echo that GMs are drafting players for next year.

--------

I would like to correct the bolded parts above.

The goal of the Celticsblog Draft is to have fun while constructing a roster. There is no one "right" way to build your team. The "team of the future" is one of the superlatives... not a consolation prize.

For many of us in the early CB Drafts (I did all but the first one) the drafting, the roster construction, the making win-win trades, and getting to know other GMs, and having a blast whilst doing it all *was* the goal.... not "winning" an inherently subjective playoff ––– In fact, the first CB Draft IIRC didn't even have a playoffs.

Some GMs felt good knowing that even if they didn't "win" the title, they'd built a team that went deep in the playoffs, or that made the playoffs, or that had their favorite players.

IMO, the CB Draft started to lose it's joy when some GMs valued cutthroat wheeling-and-dealing and incessant arguing during the press conferences over the more basic joy of building a team and talking hoops with other Celtics fans.

I'd really like to return to that original CB Draft vibe... the original recipie as IP/SO dubbed it a few years back. Ridiculous, hyper competitiveness will be frowned on not be tolerated.

I think/hope we've got a great group of GMs and that everything will go smoothly! (I also think i'm probably delusional... but that's besides the point  ;D)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:00:18 PM by Gainesville Celtic »
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

So, happy drafting.

--------

The goal of the Celticsblog Draft is to have fun while constructing a roster. There is no one "right" way to build your team. The "team of the future" is one of the superlatives... not a consolation prize.

For many of us in the early CB Drafts (I did all but the first one) the drafting, the roster construction, the making win-win trades, and getting to know other GMs, and having a blast whilst doing it all *was* the goal.... not "winning" an inherently subjective playoff ––– In fact, the first CB Draft IIRC didn't even have a playoffs.

Some GMs felt good knowing that even if they didn't "win" the title, they'd built a team that went deep in the playoffs, or that made the playoffs, or that had their favorite players.

IMO, the CB Draft started to lose it's joy when some GMs valued cutthroat wheeling-and-dealing and incessant arguing during the press conferences over the more basic joy of building a team and talking hoops with other Celtics fans.

I'd really like to return to that original CB Draft vibe... the original recipie as IP/SO dubbed it a few years back. Ridiculous, hyper competitiveness will be frowned on not be tolerated.

I think/hope we've got a great group of GMs and that everything will go smoothly! (I also think i'm probably delusional... but that's besides the point  ;D)

This is fair.

Yes, GC is right. You can build your team any way you want to. What it is that any GM's would think will be an engaging and fun strategy to put in play will always be the best way to play the game.

I am going for the win though. Never in my CB career did I make the Playoffs, this is going to be the year.

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

So, happy drafting.

--------

Ok that is great. Because if everyone is trying to win now with vets, Ill happily take all the blue chip prospects for myself!
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919

So, happy drafting.

Is the "equal return policy," i.e. if you trade two picks then you must have two picks coming back, actually necessary? Couldn't you put some sort of minimum cap on there, like you MUST have a minimum of 10 actual draft picks (to be able to field a full bench unit) and a maximum of 15 actual draft picks, which would allow you to trade some sort of quantity for quality? I think that could open up the trading for even more fun.

For example, someone might be much more willing to trade a higher to middle first round pick for two picks in the second and third round. I realize that they could just include a twelfth round pick or something to even it out, but it might get more interesting that way in the middle rounds to trade two for one like that.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

So, happy drafting.

Is the "equal return policy," i.e. if you trade two picks then you must have two picks coming back, actually necessary? Couldn't you put some sort of minimum cap on there, like you MUST have a minimum of 10 actual draft picks (to be able to field a full bench unit) and a maximum of 15 actual draft picks, which would allow you to trade some sort of quantity for quality? I think that could open up the trading for even more fun.

For example, someone might be much more willing to trade a higher to middle first round pick for two picks in the second and third round. I realize that they could just include a twelfth round pick or something to even it out, but it might get more interesting that way in the middle rounds to trade two for one like that.

I'm not so sure. I think it will depend on the commish if it will be okay.

But the last 3 CB Drafts I've been in, it has to be equal quantity trades.

Besides, you would not want a 10 man team. We count injury history of players who have frequent injury concern without a viable reserve, you might not get votes.

• Rajon Rondo

So, happy drafting.

Sorry I'd not read all of Yoki's post. There is no such rule where you have to get equal # of picks players.

I appreciate the folks who've done the CB draft before sharing some of the basics but until I post the rules later this week please don't take specifics like this as gospel.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Re: Celticsblog Draft 2016: Lottery = July 26; Still accepting alternates
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2016, 11:45:06 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
RE ^^^^

This is a draft.

You should have fun. Rules will be simple and to keep things moving -- not replicate the IRS code or NBA CBA.

You should think about what players you want and how theh can fit together into a team and how you'd think/describe them doing so. It's a chance to try and execute all the fake trades/future rosters we all post here or pick apart here.

Think about the way Bill Russell talked about players fitting together. Make a great team. Make a joyous team. Make a crazy team (Redz was the best at this -- Edgar too. TPs good sirs)

Oh .... And have fun.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

So, happy drafting.

Sorry I'd not read all of Yoki's post. There is no such rule where you have to get equal # of picks players.

I appreciate the folks who've done the CB draft before sharing some of the basics but until I post the rules later this week please don't take specifics like this as gospel.

The last drafts I've been in it has been like that.

Also, I know we play to have fun, but I think it's also fair to have equal quantity trades just for efficiency. Otherwise we'll have GM's needing extra rounds to finish their squads if they do a two pick for one kind of a deal.

• Rajon Rondo

Also, I know we play to have fun, but I think it's also fair to have equal quantity trades just for efficiency. Otherwise we'll have GM's needing extra rounds to finish their squads if they do a two pick for one kind of a deal.

Efficiency is in the eye of the beholder  ;)

It's each GMs responsibility to figure out how many picks they'll need and where they'd like them to be to fill out their roster.

There will be 14 (or 15)  rounds and you'll only be required to have at least 13 players just like the real NBA.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Efficiency is in the eye of the beholder  ;)

It's each GMs responsibility to figure out how many picks they'll need and where they'd like them to be to fill out their roster.

There will be 14 (or 15)  rounds and you'll only be required to have at least 13 players just like the real NBA.

Ah.

That's fair, then. If that's the case, then this game will be much more interesting for me than it has been before.

I can't wait.

« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2016, 01:31:50 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I'm looking forward to this, so the lottery for when we pick is on July 26?
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2016, 02:29:46 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
I'm looking forward to this, so the lottery for when we pick is on July 26?

Yes -- haven't figured how i'm gonna do it yet, but will post something by the end of the week.