Author Topic: Should Brad Stevens be fired?  (Read 47108 times)

Re: Should Brad Stevens be fired?
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2020, 10:46:32 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Yeah, I'm hitching a ride on that wagon now. Unless he fixes the flaws in the next couple of games, it's time to call a spade a spade.
I think he at least deserves game 3 to right this ship.

He had game 2, it’s done.

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2020, 10:46:51 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Brad is a good coach.  He’s led this team to 3 ECF.  That doesnt mean he’s without fault.

I dont mind his demeanor.  Yelling and flipping out doesn’t make you a good coach.  For me, a good coach needs to have his team prepared for situations, hold everyone accountable for their play, ensure the team plays hard, knows how to make timely T.O.s and adjustments.  Sometimes he does lack some of those qualitiies.

I dont think he needs to be fired.  Hes got to be better though.

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2020, 10:52:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Brad wasn’t the one turning the ball over and getting beat for offensive rebounds.  Execution is on the players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2020, 10:52:29 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I wonder if you keep Brad as the x's and o's guy and Danny hires like a former player as an assistant who's sole job is to yell, motivate and push the players as far as mentally, would that work?

Like, hire Tony Allen and Leon Powe as assistants.  :laugh:
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2020, 10:52:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Brad is a good coach.  He’s led this team to 3 ECF.  That doesnt mean he’s without fault.

I dont mind his demeanor.  Yelling and flipping out doesn’t make you a good coach.  For me, a good coach needs to have his team prepared for situations, hold everyone accountable for their play, ensure the team plays hard, knows how to make timely T.O.s and adjustments.  Sometimes he does lack some of those qualitiies.

I dont think he needs to be fired.  Hes got to be better though.

Major problem when he keeps losing the third quarter fo games. It means he cannot respond to adjustments made by the other team. Perhaps he should just have his opponents win the first half so that they do not adjust in the third quarter.

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2020, 10:53:19 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Brad wasn’t the one turning the ball over and getting beat for offensive rebounds.  Execution is on the players.

True, but don't you find it just very frustrating that we always do that in the third quarter? At some point that has to go on him. I've defended him for so long, and blamed the players for not executing, but we gotta draw the line here, right?

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2020, 10:55:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

You are right, but he was the one that folded his hands and did nothing to hold those players accountable for their miscues.

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2020, 10:55:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It's not uncommon for some coaches to be great at player development while others are better at leading already 'developed' players. Brad has clearly proven he is a master of the former, but we are still waiting on the latter. Look at Doc - he was horrible when he came here, but once he got KG and Allen, he garnered a whole new respect. Of course winning will do that, but I just don't think he was cut out to work with young, developing players.

I am inclined to stick with Brad for now - the grass is certainly not always greener and he has at least consistently been very good; but I would like to see a couple of more exciting Assistant hires. The team lacks fire and I don't think Brad is the one to get them motivated.

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2020, 10:57:26 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Either Tatum acts up or gets traded. Feel like he needs to go.

« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2020, 10:57:49 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

You can't be serious. . .

« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2020, 10:58:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

True, but don't you find it just very frustrating that we always do that in the third quarter? At some point that has to go on him. I've defended him for so long, and blamed the players for not executing, but we gotta draw the line here, right?

He’s coaching without a bench.  I tend to cut him a lot of slack when Wanamaker is his best bench player.

He has a team missing a key starter in the Conference Finals.  That’s despite Kemba’s struggles, and Theis’ level of play dropping off.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2020, 10:59:16 PM »

Offline Greenality

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 46
Sorry guys, but for me personally, it's just ridiculous to turn on a top-5 (definitely, even better by my evaluation) coach in the league instantly, after a couple of hard-nosed defeats against such a good team Heat are. Not even speaking about candidates you can replace him with, I think a lot of people need to chill down and look at the bigger picture: Celtics did beat the Raptors without Hayward, now battling another tough opponent in a very-very close games. Stevens is not a problem, it's just a process of growth for a young team we have.
P.S. This series is not lost, guys, by any means. And I assess reports of item-throwing in the locker-room as a good sign of guys really wanting to be better. Rockets or LAK fans would've loved these kind of news recently.

That's where you're off. This has been brewing with many for a long time with his consistent in-game bad decisions. I've been saying for three plus years now that I don't think he's a good enough coach to get us over the top. Just too passive and too many other flaws to make up for it.

Brad isn't perfect, nobody is. He has his flaws and strengths. I know well people have been long questioning his time-out decisions, leadership and so on. I just don't agree with that. Would the reaction be the same, if the Celtics were 2-0 by now? Obviously not. And look:
1. Game #1 was won, because Butler and Bam outplayed Jayson in a couple of crucial moments. Butler is 30, JT is 22. Bam's block was one of the all-time great ones. Spo didn't outcoach Brad, and he is in that virtual top-5 himself.
2. In Game #2, you can argue, we shouldn't even be in that position late, having a lead of +17 in the 1H. But was it all on Brad though? It's punches exchange usually, when teams are so evenly matched. They made their run after a couple of bad decisions on our side (that big 3+1 play, def had an effect on guys); losing a quarter by 20 is not acceptable, but it's a shared responsibility. You can't just tap the time-out button all the time; and as to making better decisions... it would be interesting for me to read/watch an analysis on what adjustments exactly Spo made for this to happen. Or maybe it's just a loss of concentration due to fatigue (Miami are more fresh, we have to take that into consideration).
And, I would say, their leadership is a notch above at this point. All around. Also we really lack another offensive weapon IMO, they have that advantage by now.

« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2020, 10:59:22 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

You can't be serious. . .

i am being burned by my computer screen from that hot take lol

« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2020, 11:01:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

You are right, but he was the one that folded his hands and did nothing to hold those players accountable for their miscues.

How do you hold them accountable?  Bench them and play Semi and Romeo?

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2020, 11:02:01 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

He’s coaching without a bench.  I tend to cut him a lot of slack when Wanamaker is his best bench player.

He has a team missing a key starter in the Conference Finals.  That’s despite Kemba’s struggles, and Theis’ level of play dropping off.

I don't know if I can go there, Roy. It seems that the lack of bench play is not noticed during the first halves. I would agree if we are deficient all game long, but in the first half we don't seem to feel the lack of bench play and Gordon Hayward with this team.

So this is has to be an effort and mentality problem in the second half. It seems that when the other team goes on a run, we just capitulate.
\