Author Topic: Should Brad Stevens be fired?  (Read 47460 times)

Re: Should Brad Stevens be fired?
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2020, 11:52:27 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
The Heat are 10-1 in the playoffs. They’re playing like the 1998 Bulls right now.

And then will quickly go 0-4 against the Lakers, sadly.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2020, 12:15:58 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
And hire who? D'Antoni? Donovan? Atkinson?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2020, 12:16:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
The Heat are 10-1 in the playoffs. They’re playing like the 1998 Bulls right now.

And then will quickly go 0-4 against the Lakers, sadly.
Lol, have you ever tipped against the Lakers in a single game all year? Give me a break

« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2020, 12:17:41 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

This was the list of availables to replace Brad:

Mike D'Antoni
Billy Donovan
Ty Lue
Kenny Atkinson
Brett Brown
Stan Van Gundy

There were a few votes for Atkinson, a few for Donovan, and a couple for Van Gundy. Not many for D'Antoni.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2020, 12:19:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

This was the list of availables to replace Brad:

Mike D'Antoni
Billy Donovan
Ty Lue
Kenny Atkinson
Brett Brown
Stan Van Gundy

There were a few votes for Atkinson, a few for Donovan, and a couple for Van Gundy. Not many for D'Antoni.
If we hired SVG I would take a few years off from following Celtic basketball. Shaq described him best way back in 05 or 06 - he's a frontrunner and a master of panic.

All those guys suck

« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2020, 12:25:21 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 445
 My thoughts:

1. The already thin team may be exhausted after a physical Philly series and a meat grinder Raptors series.  Hayward would help but This would fall on Ainge. He tends to royally screw his teams with pitiful benches. Our guys have logged multiple 40 plus minute nights these playoffs.

2. This Celtics team might just be too young this year. They just think teams are going to lay down every time they take a good lead. They get complacent, lazy, sloppy and play crap basketball.

3. Ainge consistently and royally screws Tatum, Smart, Kemba and  Brown because he refuses to get size. We have SF’s playing PF and PF’s playing Center. We’re alwAys outsized - always.

4. We’re the better team but Brad tends to royally choke in the toughest games. He freezes. How do you not play our most athletic big man a single minute when the other team’s Uber athletic big man is too fast for Kanter and too big for Theis? It is coaching imbicilism. Mind numbingly stupid on Brad’s part. RW is the obvious match up, not the 6’4” Grant Williams.

5. Celtics players don’t get - they think they can mail it in.

6. They’re getting out muscled and out hustled and they acting like mopey Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.es in the process. Brad should be so far up their backsides in some of these timeouts they’d rather be on the court than see him in the huddle.

7 Brad has “no idea” when to call a timeout to interrupt the other team’s momentum. None. He should call three consecutive TO’s if needed until the players get the point.

We should be winning the series but we’re giving it away.

« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2020, 01:01:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Definitely not.

Brad's not perfect but they're better off with him than without him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2020, 01:05:47 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The TO to stop momentum is such a skill that only the best coaches have it. And even if the team does not fear the coach they MUST respect the coach. People say Brad is just a cool customer and nothng is gained from yelling and screaming. Maybe so, but Brad also fails in the non verbal communication. There are a lot of cool laid back coaches that do not yell, but they are demonstrative. Coach K may not yell that mush but he does get animated at times, and Pop lets his players know what he thinks by the way he looks at them or benches them. I have seen Phil Jackson throw shade at Shaq during a timeout. Portland was killing the Lakers and Phil called a timeout and yelled to the team to fiegt about Shaq because he was not effective. What happened after that TO was a Laker run fueled by an energized Shaq and culminated in that Kobe to Shaq Alley Hoop that is one of the all time NBA highlights. Problem with Stevens is he is quiet and does not excel in non-verbal communication either. He is young so he does not gain respect of the players like a aged and greying Pop does. He needs to do something about his demeanor on the sidelines. He does not work the refs, and never spends Ts to protect his players. He hoards timeouts and does not call out the refs in post game pressers when they have screwed his team. He is likeable guy tough to fire, but I think he needs a veteran coach ex-player as an assistant at least.

« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2020, 01:44:37 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Just when I start wondering why I stopped commenting so much here I see a thread like this.

Fire Brad? One guy thinks we should dump Tatum? What?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2020, 01:45:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Just when I start wondering why I stopped commenting so much here I see a thread like this.

The old post-game meltdowns never really change. Different names, same themes

« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2020, 01:48:36 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

One day we should compile all the hot takes after each loss and post them in a Legendary CelticsStrong Hot Takes thread  ;D
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2020, 03:22:13 AM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214

One day we should compile all the hot takes after each loss and post them in a Legendary CelticsStrong Hot Takes thread  ;D

Not a big enough server in the world to do that.

Man I love the meltdowns in these threads, it's fantastic.

« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2020, 05:14:08 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
NOT until I see this team at full strength...

If we get boot out with GH then thats a different story but we are down 0-2 without a reliable veteran who can easily give you 15ppg.

Now it may be too late and we might still lose this series even if Gh comes back but id still give Brad another shot at it until we get our full compliment of players and healthy at that.

Still a long ways to go...heck even Denver never gave up 3-1 series down on 2 successive playoff series.

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2020, 06:37:57 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
He’s a good coach but not a championship coach.  Inexcusable to blow two leads.  Blame the players all you want but it’s the coaches job to get in the face and discipline players that aren’t doing their job.  His tone is the same and these guys need a leader.  He had one of the best teams last year and couldn’t figure it out.  People were calling for his dismissal then, but no it’s kyrie’s fault because.  This year he has Tatum and brown in the spotlight and he still ain’t gettin the job done.  You don’t coach by just telling your players “ hey keep doing good things”. Call them out and tell them this is what you’re doing wrong and fire them up in the huddle.  It’s sad, I wouldn’t be motivated for a coach like that either.  Let’s not even talk about how he sits on his timeouts and never plays timelord

« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2020, 06:55:27 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Brad works with what he has available. Blame should be on Danny who didn’t believe we are real contenders and didn’t trade for veterans and or leaders off the bench.
I also suspect that Brad’s preference is to work with younger players hence all the draft picks every year. 4 more drafted players coming in 2 months. If we bring 4 more rookies that will be telling what Danny and ownership think about our contending potential.