Author Topic: I think it’s time basketball goes global  (Read 6485 times)

Re: I think it’s time basketball goes global
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 12:48:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
It is the 2037-38 season.

We have an expanding (not team, but a) division. European division in the Eastern conference.
With 36 teams in total, NBA is fun, again!
Last 11 years were boring. Celtics won them all straight, surpassing even Bills records.
Never reaching the 6th game of any series.

European division:

Berlin Howitzers - Black, white and grey combo. They shoot a loooot of 3s. 99% of all fga. They are still working on it to reach 100%. They are playing a modern game.

Real Madrid - White jerseys. You can't imagine them passing on a chance like this, to become an NBA team. They play their European team ball. And, they have already signed the best of what European talent can offer.

Roman Legionaries - Their azure apparel has a nice silvery highlighted transitions, but the jersey is generally too tight. They are always untying other players spaghetti's at the FT line. Also complain a lot to the referees, both verbally, and even more pronounced, by gestures.

Istanbul Minarets - Gold primary, red secondary. The thing shines so much that it probably glows in the dark. The long guys. Their plan is to make 50 trades per year, sell/buy picks, and get length. They will always take your salary dumps for a good price. Your John Wall is broken? For you my friend, no problem, best price. Fener and Bešiktaš will continue to battle regardless.

Paris Musketeers - Paris blue color, white secondary. They will always approve lockouts.

London Brexits - They have filed documents for departure after being behind the whole idea since way back in the 2020ies. However they still haven't decided how and when they will leave. But surprisingly, the Athens got the approval from Jessica Silver-Stern to enter the competition after finally paying the necessary entrance fees. Some 2 years too late. It is apparently never too late so here come the;

Athens Spartans - Red and redder. They will go for work ethic and selflessness. In a once in a century homecoming story, last years leagues best 3pt shooter Giannis Antetokounmpo, will lead Spartans to their wins.

TP!!  This is how to do it, and about how long it will take!! Very funny.

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 01:05:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Now that I could see a European Division of 6 teams and 5 other divisions of 6 teams. 

Europe - London, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona, Rome, Athens
NE - Boston, Brooklyn, New York, Philadelphia, Toronto, Cleveland
SE - Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Charlotte, Washington, New Orleans
MW - Detroit, Milwaukee, Indiana, Chicago, Minnesota, Memphis
Central - Oklahoma City, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Denver, Utah
West - Phoenix, LA Clippers, LA Lakers, Sacramento, Portland, Golden State

I like that.  Memphis and New Orleans (to a lesser degree) are slightly out of place geographically, but otherwise I think that works out pretty well.

To work out the schedule you play 80 games, 4 games against your other 5 divisional opponents (20 games) and then just play a home and away with every other team 2 games * 30 opponents for 60 games.  I think eliminating the 2 games would help a bit with the travel constraints and would imagine the North American teams would just do a 6 game road trip in Europe every season. You eliminate conferences doing this and just guarantee that every division winner makes the playoffs, but seeding everyone 1 to 16.  Since you would have an even schedule (outside of division) I think that makes the most sense.  The only tricky part would be the playoff schedule with the European teams.  I mean imagine if Athens is playing Portland.  That would be a crazy travel schedule for a playoff series.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 01:15:32 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I mentioned geography earlier but revenue is also a critical distinction. 

Here are the leagues with the most revenue around the world (I assume Wikipedia is correct).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue

There just isn't a revenue comparison to the NBA for any of the other leagues in the world.  Making it far different than soccer which are much more closely aligned for the major European leagues (though the Premier League has a good lead on the rest of the leagues).  I mean the revenue per NBA team is nearly double what the entire Bundasliga brings in (and that is the highest revenue outside of the NBA). 

The global soccer structure just won't work for basketball as the money, geography, etc. are just prohibitive.

I think you're looking at revenue wrong, it seems like you're looking "total league revenue" instead "revenue per team." According to that wikipedia link, the average Premier League team brings in €267m per team, while the average Bundesilga team brings in €211.7m per team, both of which are more than the average NBA team of €209m.  And knowing nothing about La Liga (€168.2m per team) there could be some low earning teams bringing that average down, meaning some teams there could possibly be in that NBA per team range. 

Of course that's different structure and model, we're comparing Premier League (19  home games, avg attendance 38k) to the NBA (41 home games, 18k average attendance).

But the money might be there across Eastern Europe.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 01:24:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I mentioned geography earlier but revenue is also a critical distinction. 

Here are the leagues with the most revenue around the world (I assume Wikipedia is correct).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue

There just isn't a revenue comparison to the NBA for any of the other leagues in the world.  Making it far different than soccer which are much more closely aligned for the major European leagues (though the Premier League has a good lead on the rest of the leagues).  I mean the revenue per NBA team is nearly double what the entire Bundasliga brings in (and that is the highest revenue outside of the NBA). 

The global soccer structure just won't work for basketball as the money, geography, etc. are just prohibitive.

I think you're looking at revenue wrong, it seems like you're looking "total league revenue" instead "revenue per team." According to that wikipedia link, the average Premier League team brings in €267m per team, while the average Bundesilga team brings in €211.7m per team, both of which are more than the average NBA team of €209m.  And knowing nothing about La Liga (€168.2m per team) there could be some low earning teams bringing that average down, meaning some teams there could possibly be in that NBA per team range. 

Of course that's different structure and model, we're comparing Premier League (19  home games, avg attendance 38k) to the NBA (41 home games, 18k average attendance).

But the money might be there across Eastern Europe.
when I mentioned bundasliga and its revenue, I was talking about the basketball version since I was comparing it to the NBA.  That is why basketball can't have the same structure, the NBA just brings in so much more money than the other basketball leagues, which is unlike soccer where many leagues bring in similar money.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 03:30:30 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The numbers are wrong... 118m revenue the Greek league? No f###  way. And the German bball has higher revenue than ACB? 7m per team? No. Trust me nobody cares about basketball in Germany.

But regardless your point is correct. The highest spenders in euroleague don't come even close to the budget nba teams have. And in most cases if not all the revenue is much lower than that
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:36:50 PM by ederson »

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 04:33:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Basketball is already global please come out of your cave!