Author Topic: Smart's improved mechanics  (Read 4676 times)

Re: Smart's improved mechanics
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2016, 01:09:04 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Very good improvement.   Still bring the ball down (which I hope he can cut out eventually), but instead of "throw" shooting the ball,  there is now less overall arm movement and more wrist movement when shooting.  It is leaving his hands quicker too

Hoping he can eventually ditch the bringing the ball down , but for now this new shot of his should  help out his offensive game, FG percentage
Without a dip its incedibley hard to have range, need some monster triceps are a whole whole of reps to not shoot with a dip

Maybe. .. billups , harden, ab etc. No dipping
And if they do you can hardly tell.

Every shooter has a dip. It's super important for rhythms and consistency. One of the most pronounced dips in the NBA is Durant's. Harden, Curry, etc have really pronounced ones, too.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2swb7g
^here's a video with actual film of Ray Allen and many others^

Someone also mentioned the sway. There's another video that debunks the myth that being completely square to the basket (i.e. your shoulders are perpendicular to your shot motion) is better. The best shooters actually turn a few degrees when they shoot becuase of the way tension in the shoulders works. It gives examples of many shooters, including Curry. When you start to look for it, you see it all the time.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 01:16:19 PM by GetLucky »

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
With his impact on defense and the energy he brings to the court every night, getting him to a consistent 42-33-75 would be good enough to solidify his place in the rotation on a championship caliber squad. Obviously I'd like to see him better than that, but if he can even get there I'll be happy.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2016, 11:42:47 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Smart played good yesterday. His best plays were his kick outs to Zeller after pulling the defense in from dribble penetration.

During the shoot around he did shoot the ball with the swooping down and back up motion. It didn't look anything like the quick release video that was posted on here. He might eventually get there but I wouldn't be too optimistic that it's going to happen soon. Almost every shot in the shoot around had his old form.

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2016, 02:26:32 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Besides, my 12 year old can go a minute without missing in an empty gym.  Not too impressed by that kind of thing.

Wow dude get him on an NBA squad already.
In all seriousness, my kid is a competitive player.  And he'll probably never touch a college scholarship, much less the nba.

The point is, people get impressed when they see guys shoot in an empty gym because they have no idea how good players are.  So a minutes worth of shots isn't impressive at all.  I guarantee you he was doing that before this summer.

I am the first to tell anyone that.  NBA players are lights out shooting around.  The point of this thread is not "wow look at how many baskets he is making" it's "look at his improved mechanics".  They are improved.  So you're not on topic.
The video of his shots was mentioned very early on.  So it's part of the topic.  And in terms of mchanics, who was the last player that drastically changed their shot and it actually worked out?  Most players that need to fix their shot in the first place have an uphill battle.  Odds are it won't matter that much in end.

Kawhi Leonard