Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 119970 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged topics]
« Reply #855 on: July 18, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Is Philly out of cap space?

« Reply #856 on: July 18, 2018, 11:57:56 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Woj sez:

Celtics GM Danny Ainge and Happy Walters, the agent for restricted free agent guard Marcus Smart, are now seriously engaged in contract talks, league sources tell ESPN. Potential deal range is in the four-year, $46M-$50M range, sources tell ESPN. Talks ongoing.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1019611941780770817

Looks like we might be locking down Marcus for awhile. 

« Reply #857 on: July 18, 2018, 12:05:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Woj sez:

Celtics GM Danny Ainge and Happy Walters, the agent for restricted free agent guard Marcus Smart, are now seriously engaged in contract talks, league sources tell ESPN. Potential deal range is in the four-year, $46M-$50M range, sources tell ESPN. Talks ongoing.

Yes please.  Also, go for 5 years Danny.

The timing of this in relation to the Kawhi deal makes me wonder whether either or both sides of Smart and the Celtics were exploring a S&T with San Antonio.

« Reply #858 on: July 18, 2018, 12:09:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Woj sez:

Based on the timing I wonder if Danny had the old extension offer tabled until Kawhi situation was settled.

Could also just be a coincidence as in the past few days all the cap room has pretty much officially gone away and Vegas is now done.

« Reply #859 on: July 18, 2018, 12:09:58 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Want Smart back. But also want enough to resign Kyrie and Rozier next season as well as maybe Al.

« Reply #860 on: July 18, 2018, 12:10:38 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Woj sez:

Based on the timing I wonder if Danny had the old extension offer tabled until Kawhi situation was settled.

Could also just be a coincidence as in the past few days all the cap room has pretty much officially gone away and Vegas is now done.

Think this is correct.

« Reply #861 on: July 18, 2018, 12:12:25 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Woj sez:

It's possible. Or maybe Smart as you said worked the rounds at Vegas with his agent and realized the C's were going to have the best offer. There's nothing like staring at August without a contract in hand to bring players to the table..

« Reply #862 on: July 18, 2018, 12:13:44 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Woj sez:

Yes please.  Also, go for 5 years Danny.

The timing of this in relation to the Kawhi deal makes me wonder whether either or both sides of Smart and the Celtics were exploring a S&T with San Antonio.

Sounds like it. 5 years at 50 million would be in the right range.

San Antonio liked Derozan/Poetl/1st better than Smart/Yabu/Morris/Kings pick. Pop wanted to win now.

« Reply #863 on: July 18, 2018, 12:14:51 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Want Smart back. But also want enough to resign Kyrie and Rozier next season as well as maybe Al.

I think Al is going to have to wait until 2020 to get another deal. And I'm not 100% sure it will be with the C's. Something tells me we're going to ride the Kyrie/Hayward/Al horse for 2-3 years before handing the keys over to Rozier/Tatum/Brown whomever else develops in that time. Smart, Semi etc off the bench

« Reply #864 on: July 18, 2018, 12:16:48 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I think Al is going to have to wait until 2020 to get another deal. And I'm not 100% sure it will be with the C's. Something tells me we're going to ride the Kyrie/Hayward/Al horse for 2-3 years before handing the keys over to Rozier/Tatum/Brown whomever else develops in that time. Smart, Semi etc off the bench

I really hope Kyrie is the future PG of the Celtics and not Terry Rozier. I like Terry, but he's not top 5 pg or a top 15 overall player.

« Reply #865 on: July 18, 2018, 12:19:02 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

I really hope Kyrie is the future PG of the Celtics and not Terry Rozier. I like Terry, but he's not top 5 pg or a top 15 overall player.

Rozier is actually becoming an excellent PG. Maybe not elite like Kyrie but if you're making Kyrie the centerpiece of your team the team will become hugely expensive in 2-3 years as Brown/Tatum/2019 picks etc come off their rookie deals. Could you live with a very good PG like Rozier and make Tatum the franchise cornerstone? Tough decisions ahead..

« Reply #866 on: July 18, 2018, 12:29:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Rozier is actually becoming an excellent PG. Maybe not elite like Kyrie but if you're making Kyrie the centerpiece of your team the team will become hugely expensive in 2-3 years as Brown/Tatum/2019 picks etc come off their rookie deals. Could you live with a very good PG like Rozier and make Tatum the franchise cornerstone? Tough decisions ahead..

If you’re making Kyrie a centerpiece of you’re team your competing for titles, and that’s worth the extra dollars.

It’s not impossible for the Celtics to avoid the tax next year by maxing Kyrie if Horford opts out and takes long term deal that averages in the $20-22 million range, which is not unreasonable for his age.

« Reply #867 on: July 18, 2018, 12:30:46 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

If you’re making Kyrie a centerpiece of you’re team your competing for titles, and that’s worth the extra dollars.

It’s not impossible for the Celtics to avoid the tax next year by maxing Kyrie if Horford opts out and takes long term deal that averages in the $20-22 million range, which is not unreasonable for his age.

Do you see Al opting out of $30mm? Seems not in his interest to do so to say the least

« Reply #868 on: July 18, 2018, 12:30:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I think he's going to exercise his option and sign one last big deal, might be with the C's maybe not.

Hopefully the C's and his agent have already had some early conversations about it.

« Reply #869 on: July 18, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Do you see Al opting out of $30mm? Seems not in his interest to do so to say the least
There will never be a better time for him to get another contract than next year.

Lots and lots of cap room around the league and he's a year younger than if he waits another season.