Author Topic: Cousins to Vikes, Brees re-signs, and other NFL free agency news  (Read 21954 times)

Re: Cousins to Vikes, Brees re-signs, and other NFL free agency news
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 08:32:21 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

The offensive line wasn't the issue that game.  It was the defense.  That was clear as day.  If there is an area that needs immediate attention, it's the defensive side.

I agree that the defensive line is the biggest area of weakness.

That said, the inability of the defensive line to give Brady the time he needed prevented the come-back attempt at the end of that game from even getting off the ground.  Maybe I'm biased by that being one of the last and most important plays of the game, but they couldn't give Brady time when he needed it most.

That wouldn't have mattered if the defense had been able to stop a nosebleed or get any pressure on Foles, though.  The defense, especially the line, is the biggest priority.

But I just think anything less than excellent is not enough when it comes to the offensive line.  Not when you have a 40+ year old quarterback.

The Defensive Line is the area that needs the biggest upgrade in talent.

But, I still think the most important signing for the Pats will be the re-signing of Solder, especially when you factor in Brady's age, and the backup QB situation.

I expect most of the DL upgrades will come via the draft, or perhaps trade. I DO NOT expect the Pats to make a big FA splash -- at a minimum it would hurt their chances at compensatory picks (right now they look to get a 3rd rounder via Butler signing with Titans).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Sam Bradford to Cardinals.  1 year 20 million (15 guaranteed).  Supposedly also has a 1 year option for 20 million.

Teddy Bridgewater now the only possible starter level player still out there.

Cue the Jets in 3...2...1
and the obvious choice wins. Teddy will.hoin the Jets
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 08:51:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
So the man not good enough to play in the Superbowl gets a 5 year, 61 million dollar contract.

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 09:21:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So the man not good enough to play in the Superbowl gets a 5 year, 61 million dollar contract.
Yeah, that's pretty messed up. I definitely want to hear the whole story but, unfortunately, with Belichick, it's doubtful we will ever get the whole truthful story. If Butler goes and has a Pro-Bowl year, Belichick is going to look pretty stupid for not using Malcolm in that game.

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2018, 09:25:17 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Man.  Looks like Dion Lewis is following Butler to the Titans. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 09:53:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I am not too worried about the losses so far. FAs on elite teams get paid big money - it happens every year. What really matters is having a half-way healthy team going into the playoffs. I think the receivers did a decent job picking up the slack for Edelman, but our defense fell completely apart without Hightower.

I will be interested to see who the Pats bring in to fill the voids. They are obviously losing some decent players - maybe now they will have enough to give Gronk a heft raise.

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 10:58:47 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Yeah, that's pretty messed up. I definitely want to hear the whole story but, unfortunately, with Belichick, it's doubtful we will ever get the whole truthful story. If Butler goes and has a Pro-Bowl year, Belichick is going to look pretty stupid for not using Malcolm in that game.

He already looked stupid using Jordan Richards in that game, and only using Malcolm Butler for one play in Special Teams.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2018, 12:48:39 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I am not too worried about the losses so far. FAs on elite teams get paid big money - it happens every year. What really matters is having a half-way healthy team going into the playoffs. I think the receivers did a decent job picking up the slack for Edelman, but our defense fell completely apart without Hightower.

I will be interested to see who the Pats bring in to fill the voids. They are obviously losing some decent players - maybe now they will have enough to give Gronk a heft raise.

I'm not bummed about losing Butler, because IMO he went downhill a lot this season (though he still should've played over Jordan Richards in the SB).

But I AM bummed about losing Lewis, because he brings so much versatility. And even though I realize it's a business and guys are gonna do what's in their best interests, including financial interests, it does irk me a bit when a player leaves the team that basically gave him his chance in the league—in Lewis's case, his career was going nowhere after getting little playing time in Philly, but NE came along and helped him become one of the best pass-catching RBs in the game.

Anywho, I'm bummed he's gone, and also that Amendola left. The Pats definitely have some work to do, and not only on defense.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 02:03:59 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

I'm not bummed about losing Butler, because IMO he went downhill a lot this season (though he still should've played over Jordan Richards in the SB).

But I AM bummed about losing Lewis, because he brings so much versatility. And even though I realize it's a business and guys are gonna do what's in their best interests, including financial interests, it does irk me a bit when a player leaves the team that basically gave him his chance in the league—in Lewis's case, his career was going nowhere after getting little playing time in Philly, but NE came along and helped him become one of the best pass-catching RBs in the game.

Anywho, I'm bummed he's gone, and also that Amendola left. The Pats definitely have some work to do, and not only on defense.

Resign Nate Solder and call it an offseason!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2018, 08:16:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
And even though I realize it's a business and guys are gonna do what's in their best interests, including financial interests, it does irk me a bit when a player leaves the team that basically gave him his chance in the league—in Lewis's case, his career was going nowhere after getting little playing time in Philly, but NE came along and helped him become one of the best pass-catching RBs in the game.

At the same time, the team that gave him his chance also is ruthless when it comes to cutting players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
And even though I realize it's a business and guys are gonna do what's in their best interests, including financial interests, it does irk me a bit when a player leaves the team that basically gave him his chance in the league—in Lewis's case, his career was going nowhere after getting little playing time in Philly, but NE came along and helped him become one of the best pass-catching RBs in the game.

At the same time, the team that gave him his chance also is ruthless when it comes to cutting players.
or you know just not playing their best defensive back in a game that was winnable with one defensive stop.

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2018, 10:51:34 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Solder expected to sign with Giants per WEEI.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2018, 10:55:25 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Was coming to post the same. It’s hard to see Amendola, Solder, Butler, and Lewis go and expect them to not see some sort of drop off.

Any idea on how we recover?!

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2018, 11:00:45 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

Touché, my friend. Touché.

Ugh. It's bad enough to lose him, but to lose him to the team that beat NE twice in the SB? Awful.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Solder gone now too.

What's the difference in quality between the Pats roster and the rest of the awful AFC East?  Just Tom Brady and Gronk, right?  And Gronk might retire and is injured half the time even if he doesn't.

Unless there's some other shoe to drop here it feels like the Pats are heading for another mediocre "Brady and a bunch of guys win the AFC East by default and are otherwise unremarkable" type season.

If they don't shore up the offensive line, though, maybe they won't even manage that.  Brady might not be able to play the full season if he gets knocked around a bunch.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain