Author Topic: Bradley Beal signs 2 year 72 million max extension  (Read 4408 times)

Re: Bradley Beal signs 2 year 72 million max extension
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 10:19:43 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Dummy. Wasting his best years on a terrible team.

I would be very surprised if Beal weren’t traded next summer, at his request, to one of a few teams of his choosing.  The deal is structured to offer Beal protection against a trade that he doesn’t choose, while giving him the ability to immediately opt in if he’s traded to a team he does choose.  Beal gets financial security with only a small increased likelihood of staying in Washington.

I wouldn't say "very surprise if he weren't" that implies like a 80%+ certainty to me, and given how hard the Wizards have pushed back against trade rumors, and how little we've heard about Beal trying to push his way out it doesn't seem like there's momentum in that direction. But it may be a distinct possibility.  Maybe this is a reason to try an get a Brown extension down this summer, so you have a matching to make a Beal deal? We know how complicated salary matching with sign and trades is.

I do think the probability is at or above 80%.  I think this deal represents the two sides agreeing to give Beal some added financial security while waiting until next summer for both Beal and the Wizards to evaluate the direction of the franchise — essentially giving John Wall a year to heal.  I don’t think that evaluation will be favorable to the Wizards prospects of contending any time soon, and both sides will try to find a landing place for Beal that is competitive while giving the Wizards good compensation.

Ya thats all fair, you may be right. My only caveat would be thats how a logical franchise would behave and I think the Wizards are a bad franchise (cough*hornets*caught) that might just hang on to a guy beyond when they should trade him, which is absolutely next summer.

With the lack of big time free agents available next summer the Wizards would have immense leverage with an all star level player with 2 years left who will be only 27 years old.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 10:27:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well, at least we won't have to see anymore Brown and parts for Beal trades for a year.

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 10:32:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Well, at least we won't have to see anymore Brown and parts for Beal trades for a year.
Oh ikr, what a relief.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 10:32:55 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

And if Brown continues to shoot below 70% from the FT line, you would be wishing to see more of the Brown and parts for Beal trade.

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Oh ikr, what a relief.

Temporary relief until reality sets in.

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 10:33:29 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Oh ikr, what a relief.

If Brown signs an extension, we’ll see them every day.

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2019, 10:38:11 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Oh ikr, what a relief.

If Brown signs an extension then that means Brown isn't going anywhere.

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2019, 10:41:32 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Oh ikr, what a relief.

I thought you could not trade a player for one year after they sign an extension, or is that wrong?

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2019, 10:41:52 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Oh ikr, what a relief.

If Brown signs an extension then that means Brown isn't going anywhere.

That may or may not be true, but in either case that has no bearing on the threads people will create.

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2019, 10:43:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

And if Brown continues to shoot below 70% from the FT line, you would be wishing to see more of the Brown and parts for Beal trade.
No, actually, I won't be wishing that, but you clearly will.

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2019, 10:43:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Oh ikr, what a relief.

I thought you could not trade a player for one year after they sign an extension, or is that wrong?

6 months.  If he’s traded before July 1st, then his outgoing salary is the average of this year’s salary and all his future salary.  After July 1st it becomes whatever he makes next year.

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2019, 10:47:51 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Oh ikr, what a relief.

You can trade a player who signed an extension.

It's part of the extend and trade rule.

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2019, 10:47:57 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
Oh ikr, what a relief.

6 months.  If he’s traded before July 1st, then his outgoing salary is the average of this year’s salary and all his future salary.  After July 1st it becomes whatever he makes next year.

Well at least we wouldn't have to think about it till next offseason. That wont stop there from being 100 threads about it.

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2019, 10:49:28 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
Oh ikr, what a relief.

You can trade a player who signed an extension.

It's part of the extend and trade rule.

Only if the extension is for three years (or less). Can somebody confirm?

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2019, 10:49:29 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Oh ikr, what a relief.

That's for free-agents.

Jaylen belongs in the rookie scale category.