Author Topic: 12 Types of Pickup Ballers  (Read 19181 times)

Re: 12 Types of Pickup Ballers
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 04:49:51 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Haha, good stuff. But I don't recognize myself in any of these categories.

I'd say I'm maybe Eddie Curry. I only run the floor for the first 8 possessions (during that short period of time, I'm a combo of The Player/Coach and The Hustler with skills). After that, I only play in the post (Freud explains: when playing structured basketball, I was forced to play in the backcourt because of my 6'2'' height, but my vocation was always the post - I grew up salivating over McHale/Hakeem/Sabonis moves). I stand at the top of the key with the hands on my knees, I hit a screen from time to time, otherwise I move to the low post and ask frenetically for pass: if I don't receive it I walk back, if I do all the other ballers have the chance of feasting their eyes with my refined up'and'unders, drop-steps, duck unders, upfakes, stepbacks, etc etc. I never pass (for the good of the team). Unfortunately, as I don't like to travel, I can only execute most of them very slowly and my shot gets blocked a lot unless we're playing novices. I'm a very good post defender, except when the other guy runs a lot and takes jump-shots. He usually does. So, just leave a message if you want me in your team :D

When's the last time Eddy Curry ran the floor for eight possessions of a game?  Has he totaled that many in his career?

Good stuff as always, cordobes  ;D

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 04:59:07 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Where does Sandy Lyle fit?  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKuvlESkjeg
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 05:03:35 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I'm number one there... I might shoot a little better than Antoine, though.

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 05:13:49 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
There are really only two types. The guys that play using their athletic talent and those who play using their head. Those that play with their heads win more games and the athletes make more spectacular plays. You can normally tell who is going to win before the game starts because the guys who use their heads already know the strength and weakness of both teammates and opponents simply because they have been watching everyone warm up. They know who needs help and when, who can shoot from where, etc, etc.
I am the coach type by nature but it isn't worth talking to the guys who rely on their natural ability. It is great however to play with a gang of old heady players because the game gets so much easier for everyone. It is also fun to see the studs shocked when they lose and can't figure out why.

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 05:16:30 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I think I'm somewhere between the AND1 guy and the football player... I definitely do moves that are way too complicated for the situation (I still maintain I invented the left to left crossover when I was in hs), I like the fancy pass over the simple one at times, I do acrobatic stuff my body wasn't designed for (hence the football player) but I do use a lot of hussle (not hustle!) and go for loose balls, set hard screens, hit the boards, etc....

I'm worried I'm becoming the OG though!
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 05:36:26 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Im the OG ( just a little out of shape)  :'( used to be the man...
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 05:41:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I guess I'm the OG. One, because i'm kinda old and two, because I play that clutch and grab game. Except I don't have the consistant 20 footer. I'm more of the Kurt Rambis/Kevin McHale under the basket, do stupid looking moves and make it work type of guy.

When a group of us get together on Saturdays and play it's usually with a few beers in us. I guess that would make us all the:

#13s - pick up ballas that play without any regard for personal injury or the rules and usually gets sick at some point during the games. NBA equivalent Vin Baker.

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 05:59:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Great list - I'm the OG except for the dirty play, though I do play physical, I don't grab much.  And instead of the long jump shot, I can only hit spastic layups, runners, and the occasional inconsistent 3.  My high school friends called me "Stockton" which I think fits in with Horry there.

The And 1s are absolutely the worst - they drove me out of oncampus pickup at UNC.  You wouldn't think so, but Chapel Hill teems with em.  And, cause I'm short, I always wind up checking #12  :(

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 06:01:40 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

When a group of us get together on Saturdays and play it's usually with a few beers in us.

I didn't get the e-vite..and I thought we were bff's... jk =)

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 06:05:56 PM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
I am the number 9 guy, I am like an eel after 2 minutes and I am hairy and it is no good. I am a cross between christian laettner, tom gugliotta and brian big country reeves, plus patrick ewing for the bad knees. 

I have to throw out some more:

I seem to play with derek coleman, Kobe-wannabe, and mugsy bouges types all the time. I will also throw out the soccer player guy-hes only there to play hackie sack with the ball during time outs. 

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 06:14:28 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Well, my friends and I make videos of us playing, and they compare me to Steve Nash based upon looks(goofy looking with long hair), my non ability to dunk, good ball handling, good layups, good passes, and good outside shots(made 5 straight away threes in row yesterday against a kid whose 6'2", I'm 5'8"). I suppose that would make me the man, however I don't exactly make it look easy, I'm a recovering tobaccoholic(smoked for 4 years). I still don't have quite the stamina I used to, but I do give it my all every play and rarely take a breather.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ibHdLRQtJUg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ibHdLRQtJUg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I make the bounce pass at 41 seconds… the layup at 1:01… and the rare dunk at 2:49(The hoop is at 8’6”)

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 06:17:37 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I feel I'm kinda a broke version of "the man." I definitely don't make everthing look effortless, but I try to take on the majority of the scoring load and guard the best player for the challenge. I absolutely hate it when players don't try on defense because they are afraid of getting burned...

PS I saw someone on here mention playing at UNC. I'm a sophomore there, and am trying out for the team (most likely they will put me on JV). Hope they think I'm the man too!
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I don't really see my type.  The closest would be #3 "The Man" although I am usually the 3rd-5th best player out there, not THE best.  But I'm not a big that shoots 3s, don't have And1 moves, am not a chick, am not a huge hustler but not a cherry picker.  I feel like I'm just a solid player that decently knows how to play and has decent skills... I am a mix of the following:

Tracy McGrady - I am fairly lanky and have always looked like I was loafing, when in fact I was going 100%.
Josh S,ith - I'm usually one of the more athletic players.  Almost can dunk as a 6' whitey, have good handles, good body control.  Oh, and I send a lot of shots... 'return to sender' and 'hand of God' were both nicknames I got playing with buddies.
Ronnie Brewer - I'm a role player, but know the game and pick and choose my spots, can also D up pretty well.

So I guess.... Josh McBrewer

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 06:28:12 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
No. 14
That guy who is ultra frekish athlete warms up dunking backwards between the legs and airwalking, with both hands, Can ocacionally hit the 3 ( of course during warmups) but cant guard a chair, plays horrible offense, dont have a clue of what hes doing, seems to frustrate with himself, half of the game his eyes are on the floor, love to be yelled at, have no heart nor discipline, and jumps from one team to the next one beccause no team want him there for a long time.
NBA equivalent Gerald Green. ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 10:55:03 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
is that a nerf hoop MattG? pretty awesome stuff. reminds me of slamball