Author Topic: Orlando Magic (45-16) vs Boston Celtics (49-14) 3/8  (Read 60528 times)

Re: Orlando Magic (45-16) vs Boston Celtics (49-14) 3/8
« Reply #255 on: March 08, 2009, 05:50:04 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
wow, seriously refs?

Im so tired of this crap with NBA refs. Thats a no call.

No one came to watch you decide the game with 30 seconds left. Let the players decide it, dont call a retarded foul off the ball to gift wrap the game for a team. ridiculous.

NBA officiating is a huge problem, and takes it from being taken seriously. and the league seems not to care.

How wasn't that a foul? Leon was holding the guy's arm. I understand the "let the players decide the game late" reasoning, but they still need to enforce some rules. You can stop a guy from cutting by chesting him, but not by using your arms to hold him. Otherwise, you wouldn't see any off-the-ball action in the last minutes and teams would have a very hard time scoring.

The 4th foul on Howard was the worst in the game.

did you see me say once it wasn't a foul by the book? way to jump to conclusions, as usual.

But, considering the league office is ON RECORD, from just last year over the spurs fallout, rightly or wrongly, that the game is called differently and looser in the last two minutes to let players decide it, thats a no call. it had zero inpact, by the time the foul was called, lewis had already shook leon off and gotten to the spot.

Where's your limit? If the game is called more loose, does that mean any off-the-ball foul gets a pass? Can the guys throw punches at each other? Of course he eventually got to the spot - but not on time to receive the pass. How does that mean it had zero impact? Good call: it took too long and it was too obvious, Leon should have released him a moment earlier, had he done that and the referees wouldn't call the foul.

« Reply #256 on: March 08, 2009, 05:58:41 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
wow, seriously refs?

Im so tired of this crap with NBA refs. Thats a no call.

No one came to watch you decide the game with 30 seconds left. Let the players decide it, dont call a retarded foul off the ball to gift wrap the game for a team. ridiculous.

NBA officiating is a huge problem, and takes it from being taken seriously. and the league seems not to care.

How wasn't that a foul? Leon was holding the guy's arm. I understand the "let the players decide the game late" reasoning, but they still need to enforce some rules. You can stop a guy from cutting by chesting him, but not by using your arms to hold him. Otherwise, you wouldn't see any off-the-ball action in the last minutes and teams would have a very hard time scoring.

The 4th foul on Howard was the worst in the game.

did you see me say once it wasn't a foul by the book? way to jump to conclusions, as usual.

But, considering the league office is ON RECORD, from just last year over the spurs fallout, rightly or wrongly, that the game is called differently and looser in the last two minutes to let players decide it, thats a no call. it had zero inpact, by the time the foul was called, lewis had already shook leon off and gotten to the spot.

Where's your limit? If the game is called more loose, does that mean any off-the-ball foul gets a pass? Can the guys throw punches at each other? Of course he eventually got to the spot - but not on time to receive the pass. How does that mean it had zero impact? Good call: it took too long and it was too obvious, Leon should have released him a moment earlier, had he done that and the referees wouldn't call the foul.

what does it matter what my limit is, don't attempt to avoid the question by not addressing the first one and going off in a random direction.

Considering that the league office said that it is at the ref's discretion and that games are typically called looser at the end of the game, why is it so outrageous of me to expect an off the ball foul not to be called to decide the outcome of a game when the team in possession is already ahead with a chance to end the game themselves?

lewis was throwing his body around just like powe, they were fighting for the spot, and lewis got it anyway a quarter of a second later. They were trying to set up lewis vs leon in the post as an iso, not some backdoor cut that leon stopped. its not like a pass was thrown. they were waiting to throw it in until lewis got his spot, which he did despite the grievous foul leon committed  ::)

That kind of action goes on under the hoop every play and you know it. KG and other big name big men  fight for position to a far larger extent than that, and its let go because its star on star, and the ref's don't want to call it.

It was a crap call. it should have been a no call. If they dont call it, lewis sets up in the post like he was trying to do and did half a second later, and takes the pass to work on leon, and they decide it.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #257 on: March 08, 2009, 06:13:47 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
What question have I avoided? You're equating "calling the game looser" with not calling that foul and that's a logical leap. They often don't call ticky-tack, soft, handcheck fouls in the final minutes of the games (I personally find this reasoning ridiculous, they should call the game the same way from the first to the last minute, but that's another story). But that foul wasn't a ticky-tack one, it wasn't a hand on the back for a second or two. Powe cut Lewis run for too long, he could have bumped him but allowed him to go after that, but he kept pulling him. To me, it's similar or even worse than the Fisher's foul on Ray in the last play of the Lakers game. And if I thought the referees were wrong on not calling that one...

« Reply #258 on: March 08, 2009, 06:25:07 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
What question have I avoided? You're equating "calling the game looser" with not calling that foul and that's a logical leap. They often don't call ticky-tack, soft, handcheck fouls in the final minutes of the games (I personally find this reasoning ridiculous, they should call the game the same way from the first to the last minute, but that's another story). But that foul wasn't a ticky-tack one, it wasn't a hand on the back for a second or two. Powe cut Lewis run for too long, he could have bumped him but allowed him to go after that, but he kept pulling him. To me, it's similar or even worse than the Fisher's foul on Ray in the last play of the Lakers game. And if I thought the referees were wrong on not calling that one...

I just re posted it for you, but let me qoute it since your trying to avoid it and make it out like im arguing people should be allowed to punch each other wholesale for the last two minutes.

Considering that the league office said that it is at the ref's discretion and that games are typically called looser at the end of the game, why is it so outrageous of me to expect an off the ball foul not to be called to decide the outcome of a game when the team in possession is already ahead with a chance to end the game themselves?

hope that helps, a response from you doesn't need to include trying to make me out like a person who thinks clubs and chains should be allowed for the last two minutes, Nor making some leap that no fouls should be called in the last two minutes. it just requires you to respond to whats so off the wall about me thinking two big man battling for position in the post shouldn't be called with 30 seconds left. thats all.

it was a foul, but so is most of the battling for position throughout the game. It was a bad call to make when it influenced nothing at all, but it was made, and we move on. It's still a horrible call to make with 30 seconds left in a 3 point game.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #259 on: March 08, 2009, 06:49:47 PM »

Offline Gators3in364

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
With all due respect to the guy that is complaining about the Powe foul near the end, are you serious?  They called Dwight two questionable calls, and then one where he DID NOT MAKE ANY CONTACT WITH RAY ALLEN.  He spent much of the game on the bench, and when he was allowed to play he was very cautious.  Powe is the best non flopper flopper in the NBA.  He flops all the time, but he does so in a manly way, unlike Vlade or Varejo.  Perkins and Powe were constantly shoving Dwight with two hands in the back every time they feed the post and the refs blew the whistles rarely.  Dwight shot only 6 free throws and the Celtic team took 8 more than the Magic.  On the season the Magic take the 4th most free throws a game (the Celtics are ranked 8th).  You are correct Powe was doing the exact same thing the entire game and they did not call it a foul.  Probably because they didn't see it, but don't be made about the one time they did call the foul, be happy with the 15 times he did it with no repercussions.  Even though the Celtics 'thugged it up' in the second half the Magic still won.  Even though two starters were out this will help the confidence of the Magic.  It probably shouldn't because realistically Orlando should have won a lot easier without KG and Rondo, but it will.  The first time we played you guys we were missing 3 guys in our back court and you killed us.  The second time both teams were pretty much at full strength and you won pretty easily.  This time you guys were injured and we barely won.  I'm looking forward to the next match up where KG and Rondo both play.  Then we'll see if the Magic can beat a full strength Celtic team.  I know I'm hoping you hold off the Cavs for the number one seed because the Magic play much better against the Cavs than the Celtics.   

« Reply #260 on: March 08, 2009, 07:54:42 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
hey..i hope orlando beats cleveland two more times

« Reply #261 on: March 11, 2009, 09:39:25 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Time to clear the bench and for the season to hope we get our players back in time to hold on to second place in the east.