Author Topic: Durant: “I want to retire in 5 years”  (Read 5396 times)

Durant: “I want to retire in 5 years”
« on: June 11, 2018, 03:51:49 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23761997/warriors-kevin-durant-picture-retiring-3

What a quitter. Says he doesn’t care about records or anything. Just wanted his easy-mode ring and to pretend that means he’s the best player ever 

"This game, your craft, you have to continue studying it," said Durant. "No matter how much you enjoy it, nobody wants to be in school that long. I know I don't. At some point, you have to be ready to graduate. Thirty-five, that's just a number in my mind."

"Because it's not about [the record]," Durant said. "I can leave the game knowing I did everything I wanted to do, my way, on my terms. That's how I want to leave the game. And if I happen to have all these accolades and these accomplishments, then that's cool. If not, I'm still cool.

"So I don't think that's going to define me as a player. It's a cool accomplishment to be up there with the greats and to be considered someone who can potentially chase that, or beat that, but I'm not playing for that."

Re: Durant: “I want to retire in 5 years”
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 04:04:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I know we are worse without him, but I'm glad he didn't come here.  It would have forced me to again root for a player I absolutely despised (KG was the other). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 04:27:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
To each their own. It’s his career. I’ll never consider him an all-time great, but who cares? He’ll have hundreds of millions of dollars, multiple rings, and will be in the HOF.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 04:44:59 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The game is a grind and staying on top performing is a lot of work and pressure. I'd rather a guy retire early than not have his heart into it hanging around just simply collecting checks. We seen a bunch of guys bust their butts in contract years just for the guaranteed contract then stop giving effort. KD is at least not that.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:23:14 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 05:50:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Sounds fine to me. He's already been in the league 11 years and if he retired tomorrow he'd be a first ballot HoF'er. 5 more years gets him into the top ten of all time scoring. I can't say I hold it against a person who just wants to enjoy their life.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 06:01:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Plays 15+ years at an elite level, wins 2+ Finals MVP and 2+ championships as the best player on the best team in the league, wins 1+ MVP award, makes hundreds of millions of dollars ...

yeah, totally a quitter.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 06:09:16 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
What a quitter. Says he doesn’t care about records or anything.

It's usually ppl who care too much that speak this way.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 06:10:18 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Durant is an all-time great already. He doesn't have anything left to prove.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
It sounds like a very self aware position to take.  If anything it makes me think more of him, not less. 

I'll be curious to see if he still feels that way as the end gets closer.  5 years is still a ways away, but I think when the end is near some guys rightly cling to playing at the highest level until they've squeezed every last drop out of their playing career. Others though go out like Barry Sanders and leave plenty of good years on the table to pursue other interests.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 06:26:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
How much longer do people expect him to play for? A lot of players fall apart physically before the age of 35 and fall off a cliff. Bird and Russell each played 13 years for example. To me he sounds pretty reasonable. He's also suffered his share of serious injuries in the past, and is not the most physically sturdy player in the league. Not everyone can play full speed at age 33-35 like Lebron does. That's one thing Lebron has over most of the other greats, longevity and physical endurance with age.

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I know we are worse without him, but I'm glad he didn't come here.  It would have forced me to again root for a player I absolutely despised (KG was the other).
you despised kd before the decision?

and why did you hate KG?

he was a fighter with a garbage cast in Minnesota

but you love lebron?

what am i missing?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 06:37:57 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

You absolutely despised KG? Lol.

I don’t really care what Durant does. At the time I was bummed he didn’t sign with us, but in hindsight he did us a favor. His legacy will never live up to his talent. Emptiest multiple Finals-MVP recipient ever.

I don’t know if Isaiah and Durant could have hung banners here, but I’m confident Kyrie and Hayward can.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 06:56:27 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

and why did you hate KG?

but you love lebron?

what am i missing?
yeah I never liked Durant in OKC. He always just seemed phoney to me. Tried to act like the good guy and always let Russ take the brunt of everything whike he sjated by and then when he got any criticism acted like someone killed hia family.  Always just a phoney to me.  The extent of his arrogance and pettiness is on full display in the Bay.

As for KG he is and always has been the biggest prick on the court. I just don't like the way he would go after rookies or backups like he was a tough guy and he never went after vets.  Just a real **** on the court.

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 06:58:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

and why did you hate KG?

but you love lebron?

what am i missing?
yeah I never liked Durant in OKC. He always just seemed phoney to me. Tried to act like the good guy and always let Russ take the brunt of everything whike he sjated by and then when he got any criticism acted like someone killed hia family.  Always just a phoney to me.  The extent of his arrogance and pettiness is on full display in the Bay.

As for KG he is and always has been the biggest prick on the court. I just don't like the way he would go after rookies or backups like he was a tough guy and he never went after vets.  Just a real **** on the court.

But you like Lebron? His phoniness and whinning doesn't bother you?

I respect Lebron as an all-time great player, but he's a phony as a leader, throws his teammates under the bus, never admits any blame for anything, intimidates his teammates and refs, whines after almost every play, and forces the front offices of his teams into bad decisions.

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 07:02:21 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

and why did you hate KG?

but you love lebron?

what am i missing?

But you like Lebron? His phoniness and whinning doesn't bother you?

I respect Lebron as an all-time great player, but he's a phony as a leader, throws his teammates under the bus, never admits any blame for anything, intimidates his teammates and refs, whines after almost every play, and forces the front offices of his teams into bad decisions.
everyone whines. You wouldn't like anyone if you didn't like whiners.  James doesn't come off as phoney to me.  I think that is exactly who he is.  He isn't a sociopath like  KD or a fake tough guy bully like KG.